Columbus firmware upgrade

Anyone upgraded to V11 maps yet? I have the chance to buy an original DVD but am concerned my 2012 unit might not be the aforementioned MIB type, and might not like the newest map format.

I've been using v11 maps (8117) for a few weeks now and they appear OK, actually haven't yet noticed any difference from v10. The DVD file is a couple of per cent larger than v10 so should not be a factor unless space is very tight. 

• Like 1

Another v11 user here. I persoanlly think the navigation is better with v11 so i'm wondering if these maps also included a nav engine update too. (My tests have shown it now basically matches my tomtom app when creating routes).

I have noticed road changes in this version as there has been a major road scheme completed last year near where i work which has now been included in the v11 maps.

Cheers

Dave.

Hi all,

I just bought a superb from 2011 with the columbus sat nav with the following:

HW version: H06

SW Version: 3974

Map version HDD: 7476

From what I have red, I have some serious updating to do. Where can I get the right discs/sd cards to have the most up to date system. Skoda is completely useless!

Thanks!

HW version H06 and firmware (SW) 3974 indicates your Superb was built around June '11 and your Delivery part number is probably 3T0035680B.

Your map software of 7476 equates to v7.1, v11 is current, with v12 possibly coming out in November.

I'm supposed to say you should go to your dealer for updates but they're mostly pretty useless and won't know what you're talking about.

There is stacks of info about updating both firmware and map software on this forum and the 'ICE' one at http://www.briskoda.net/forums/forum/7-ice-security-and-insurance/.

The Skoda Columbus is similar to the VW RNS-510 and updates are also equivalent so many VW forums are also useful.

I'm sure other forum watchers will add their updates too in the next day or two so keep monitoring.

Thanks Chris. The dealership is indeed still stuck at version 7...

I am getting v11 for the runs this weekend, as well as the latest update for the firmware for the runs.

I am confident with the map updates, but a bit anxious about the firmware update as it is vow instead of skids. Same group I know, but could I loose some functions such as the parking sensors?

There is no difference between VW and Skoda in terms of firmware or maps - the same files work for each but are just interpreted slightly differently by the different hardwares (e.g. green vs red backlighting).  You wouldn't lose parking sensors with a firmware upgrade.

There is no difference between VW and Skoda in terms of firmware or maps - the same files work for each but are just interpreted slightly differently by the different hardwares (e.g. green vs red backlighting). You wouldn't lose parking sensors with a firmware upgrade.

Unless it is one of the upgrades that requires the unit to be coded again after the upgrade .....

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Firmware upgrades (not map software) come in two types - 'upgrade' and 'factory'.

'Upgrade' will not change your data already on the hard drive such as favourites, POI's and music.

'Factory' will reset/erase everything and so some functions may need re-instating with a VCDS.

Luckily it is quite easy to determine which is which...

An 'upgrade' DVD will have a number starting with '3' in the VERSION.TXT file, eg: #CD:P 0 0 5 . 4 0 1 . 3 0 2

A 'factory' DVD will have a number starting with '9' in the same place, eg: #CD:P 0 0 5 . 5 9 6 . 9 0 1  

You may need to 'mount' the DVD on your computer to be able to view the 'VERSION.TXT' file.

Hope this helps.

• Like 2

The version of VCDS that you need is the HEX+CAN USB, its quiet expensive

http://www.gendan.co.uk/product_VCHU.html

We have a member map of those who have purchased VCDS, and these members will offer their services to help others out. Saves buying the product. Checkout the VCDS forum for the map.

it takes about 45 mins to copy the maps, you can start the process going and after 5 mins hit the eject button. You'll get a prompt pop up, one option allows you to monitor progress and a bar will pop up running from left to right.

• 2 weeks later...

Need to? No.

Want to? That's up to you.

What's the part number? It starts 3T0...

You are on firmware 4024. the only extra you would gain (unless it's a DAB Columbus) is radio text (which is not as good as it should be).

My advice: leave it as it is.

Not sure what version maps you have and how new they are in Australia. Sorry.

• 1 month later...

HI ,

wondering if I want upadte my maps to V11 if I need to update software as well or not.

HW- H41

SW- 4024

Map - 7920

If not is anybody in London who would like to share DVD with V11 map,please?

Link or Dropbox would do as well.

Can find anywhere where to download V11.

Thanks

Rudolf

HI ,

wondering if I want upadte my maps to V11 if I need to update software as well or not.

HW- H41

SW- 4024

Map - 7920

Hi, your firmware is MORE than sufficient for that map upgrade.

HI ,

HW- H41

SW- 4024

Map - 7920

If not is anybody in London who would like to share DVD with V11 map,please?

Link or Dropbox would do as well.

Can find anywhere where to download V11.

Thanks

Rudolf

In theory it will, but you might not get POI's on there. It depends upon the size of your hard disk and how the firmware has partitioned the disc.

Certainly with 412x firmware, v.9 and above maps don't have enough room in a 30Gb Columbus to fit the POI's in as its partition ratios are different and based upon a 40Gb HD.

Although 402x has slightly more room for POI's it's going to depend upon how big the map files actually are.

Hello everyone,
I would like to ask for advice before I install new update. Right now Im having version:

Skoda Superb Columbus
HW-Version HO5
Sw-Version 4120

I did update my factory firmware to this 4120 and since then I getting less option in settings on dash board between clocks. Sat nav display option between clocks on dashboard completely disappear and few other options too.
Can anybody advice plz, who is using Columbus with latest update that has no problems or anybody can advice how to get back that functions to my options in settings in dashboard not on sat nav display setting.
Many thanks