Emission remap

I have had my Superb in for recall, my advice is dont do it my car is now flat as a fart, fuel economy 7mpg down, sluggish at motorway speeds, noticeable turbo lag, in short ruined a good car, anyone else have any experience of this. I am now awaiting a full diagnostic at mySskoda dealer ( which they wanted me to pay for, i refused of course) If the diagnostics prove nothing wrong then I have to take it up with Skoda UK. Help I want as much feedback as poss to confront Skoda with, many thanks Simon.

• Like 1

I think the best option would be for you to find another car - same spec & year - and do a dyno to compare.

It's what I'll do if they'll force me to do an update - dyno before and after.

I had my update last week and have seen no difference in performance so far but it has all been local so far. Next week it is back to work then a trip to Scotland so will have a better idea.

I have done a post fix scan but I only looked to see if any faults returned. I am now away for a few days on my motorbike around Wales so will try and look when I am back.

Btw where would that info be shown?

Edited by Danny 57

Interestingly, mine went into Wings, Peterborough for a service and 'emissions update' 4 weeks ago and when I arrived they told me that the update for my car wasn't available yet.  When I'd booked it in.  I was surprised to hear that the 'fix' was available given that I hadn't and still haven't heard from VAG for months.

Btw where would that info be shown?

It is shown in the Engine section of an autoscan, this is from my car showing SW 7100.

Address 01: Engine (J623-CFHC)       Labels: 03L-906-018-CFF.clb
   Part No SW: 03L 906 018 C    HW: 03L 906 018 BR
   Component: R4 2,0L EDC   H24 7100 <----
   Revision: 42H24---    Serial number:               
   Coding: 00190012042500080000

all gone over my head, but if some one can put the old map back in i would be very interested indeed, cash waiting etc, cheers simon.

As you're in Whitby, it might be handy to send Mikeholroyd a message http://www.briskoda.net/forums/user/37410-mikeholroyd/

He will be able to do a current VCDS scan which would a handy data point for me. It's only a five minute task and will give you a list of electronic modules in the car and any fault codes currently stored.

It is shown in the Engine section of an autoscan, this is from my car showing SW 7100.

Address 01: Engine (J623-CFHC)       Labels: 03L-906-018-CFF.clb

Part No SW: 03L 906 018 C    HW: 03L 906 018 BR

Component: R4 2,0L EDC   H24 7100 <----

Revision: 42H24---    Serial number:               

Coding: 00190012042500080000

I have saved on the wife's laptop so will look, if I remember on Thursday.

I found this online which seems to suggest an issue with the remap and a possible "patch" to correct it. I wonder if the patch just reverts it back to the way it was.......

Also, a comment from a Skoda Superb owner (possibly someone here?) regarding a lack of performance at low speed following the recall. If the negative feedback continues I don't think I will be putting my 1.6 up for the "FIX" it's down on power enough as standard.

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/volkswagen-emissions-scandal/vag-20tdi-emissions-fix-reduces-torque-at-low-rpm/

Have it done then have it remapped :-)

Is it even worth having it done? I'm considering getting mine remapped at the moment, and if it's not a compulsory fix then I would be tempted to refuse it.

Assuming the car was running fine before the recall and given the fact that there are only potential disadvantages to having it done I can't understand why people are letting Skoda fiddle with their cars?

Sign the form and tell Skoda not to touch the map on your car...

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/403828-just-refused-the-vag-emissions-recall/

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Shark remap.  I checked with Shark months ago (before the VAG "Fix" was available) that if it the remap had been altered after the fix was applied, then they would reapply the map. Subject to having the original invoice.

I had my Superb booked in but decided to cancel.

The fix is  is not a compulsory as it isn't safety related (apart from the emissions).

So I agree wait until MOT picks it up.  My Superb is always clean.

I had my update last week and have seen no difference in performance so far but it has all been local so far. Next week it is back to work then a trip to Scotland so will have a better idea.

Same for me. 

I was due a 30k service and they did the remap at the same time. It was only after the fact I thought, is this going to alter the performance / econ.

Have since added 3.5k miles to the car (couple of round trips to London from Scotland) and have noticed no change in either performance or fuel consumption.

I think the best option would be for you to find another car - same spec & year - and do a dyno to compare.

It's what I'll do if they'll force me to do an update - dyno before and after.

Surprising no-one (car magazines or Top Gear) havent done before/after maybe with/without a remap too......

I've wondered about finding a car for sale that's had the update done and taking it for a test drive to see if it feels any different. The problem here in Ireland is the rarity of CR170 cars. Anyone in .uk feel like hunting one down and taking it for a spin?

Anyone else not had a recall notice? I've had nothing from skoda since the initial letter(s) when the scandal broke.

Cars not due a service for another 16 months and is running fine so not bothered to be honest, as I have no intention of having it done yet.

I still haven't had the recall. Looking at the sticker in the spare wheel recess, my engine code is CFFB. Maybe they are concentrating on doing the engines by code, starting with those codes with the highest number of engines.

I hadn't realised that a 2.0 litre engine from the same manufacturer would have come in so many different variations, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Volkswagen_Group_diesel_engines

• Like 1