Skip to content

StevesTruck

Resident Member
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by StevesTruck

  1. If I've already told you why he's called Shaun, keep it to yourself, otherwise, pipe up when you get it! I'm not normally into modern vehicles, but work were selling this, and, well, shiny things. It's like they say about Volvo's, everyone ends up in one sooner or later
  2. The 1.6TDI has issues with it's injectors, at that age, I'd want to see some evidence it's had a set, or factor in needing one or two in the next couple of years.
  3. Just the wheel off, maybe unplug the sensor if you want to, then just manipulate the cable and look for splits opening up.
  4. Carefully check the flexible cables that go down to the ABS sensor for splits, they can hide on the inside of the curves in the cable. It might not be the cause, but it's free to have a look. What did the fault codes say?
  5. That's a weird one, it looks like the flexi's wrong for the caliper if anything. There's no chance the flexi's upside down is there? I'm wondering if the banjo's thicker on one side than the other.
  6. I did mine a couple of years ago and don't recall them being particularly bad. I was most likely working on axle stands in the yard. I probably jacked the car up and gave them a spray with whatever was in the shed the night before and left it to soak. I think you can get to the bottom end of the bolt with a can with a straw on to spray it up - that's probably well worthwhile. I've got it in my head that I used a long spline bit on an extension so I could knock it all the way into the head of the bolt, then had the bar behind the spring and shock, rather than in front of it, as per the picture. I'm not totally sure on that though, like I say, it wasn't particularly memorable, so it can't have been that bad. I normally use a 600mm breaker bar and a set of cheap impact-rated spline bits for that sort of job. I've got a feeling I didn't use the impact gun because I couldn't get it in the space available. When I'm trying to get a spline or stardrive off, I normally give them a yank in the wrong direction first to break the rust seal without damaging the bits of the head I'm going to rely on to loosen it. Applying constant force doesn't break fixing loose, you need to shock them. Don't know if any of that's any help, I'm just sat in my armchair
  7. I always find they come out easier if the engine's warm - guessing you've dropped the oil though, so probably a bit late for captain hindsight. I normally just use my little 10.8v cordless impact driver and don't have a problem.
  8. Probably just the fuel and air in the can expanding with the temperature. The cans are designed to be airtight and expand and contract, so it's nothing to worry about.
  9. Looks like they've drawn on the Pontiac Aztek for design cues.
  10. Tempest Scrambler. I have the Roadster version of the same bike, it's a lovely simple thing. Great for going for a potter down the lanes
  11. If you're dropping the subframe, dab some paint about to give you something to line it back up to.
  12. Glad it worked for you, but I had one of theirs fail within a year, they sold me a new one, but didn't refund the one I returned. The new one also failed in a year. This was a nside on a 6L Ibiza pd130, so probably the same part.
  13. What head they have on top depends a bit what shock absorbers are on there, be it standard or aftermarket. To be fair, I'm a big fan of spraying them up, then sticking the impact gun on the nut - it generally undoes them straight away.
  14. Have a look at your alternator belt tensioner when the engine's running. If it's skipping all over the place, it's generally a sign you need a new alternator pulley.
  15. No, I normally find Bilstein stuff is cheaper through partsinmotion or ebay.
  16. Do these have a servo (it's been about 30 years since I worked on one, I can't even remember which end the fuel tank's in))? Sounds more like vacuum escaping to me. *Waits for someone to go full Sheldon Cooper on me because I said "Vacuum Escaping", which is a physical impossibility
  17. There's no way on earth it takes 4 hours to do a pair of rod ends. I'm not a mechanic. I use a the cheapest blowtorch toolstation sell and a couple of adjustable spanners I got from a carboot sale 20 years ago, and I can free one in 15 minutes. Take it somewhere else, they're trying to blag you. If you want some money out of you just tell them nice try buttercup, but you can't B*****it a B******iter. 😅
  18. I've not done a MK2 fabia, but the 6L Ibiza was pretty bad for all the same reasons. I ended up using a long pair of bent-tip pliers and doing the whole job with them. It was like something off the crystal maze, but it was possible.
  19. Why would you call the RAC if you're not a member? Might as well just ring a local firm direct and cut out a layer of profit. Or come to mention it, why ring the RAC at all, they just find any excuse not to come out then send a randommer several hours later. Options (assuming it's dead locked, so pulling an internal handle won't work): - Get a second key sent - Wedge the back door and slide something down to unwind the window if they're manual - Brick - lock pick / locksmith - order a replacement key
  20. If you've got vcds, it's worth having a look at injector quantity and fuel rail pressure live data, particularly if you can get someone to watch the data while you reproduce the fault. An old-fashioned leak off test can also tell you a lot. Another suspect would be EGR valve needing a clean.
  21. I believe the sensor is in the heater intake. It's worth doing a HC "sniffer" test. I shouldn't think it is head gasket, but it's worth discounting before you go down a rabbit hole like I did with my Octavia. You can get a test kit on eBay/Amazon for under £20.
  22. I fitted SKF on my old Octavia and were fine, I probably put about 20k on them before the car died from head gasket. Pretty sure I used them on a 2k caddy as well without issue.
  23. Been there myself and was convinced I'd be taking the door apart. Get the latch and door seal sprayed when it's dried off. Silicon or cheap furniture polish for the door rubber, white grease for the door catch.
  24. Has it definitely totally thawed? In the first instance, I'm not to catastrophising and assume there's a bit of moisture got in the mechanism or latch somewhere and frozen up.

Important Information

Welcome to BRISKODA. Please note the following important links Terms of Use. We have a comprehensive Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Account

Navigation

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.