Everything posted by Alasdair1
-
Compression tester adapter?
Ah I see your problem. Maybe see if you can speak to a mechanic at skoda/vag dealer. They must have come accross this problem before or perhaps there is a skoda tool for the job. Did find a draper extension set but not sure if it would fit either or be of any use. They always seem to put things in awkward places. On my 1.6tdi I cant get the oil filter out without having to disconnect some wiring and a stainless pipe. Draper 94269
-
Compression tester adapter?
I picked up a cheap set on Amazon with a long flexible hose. The one I got was for an ancient forklift/LPG 1969 but I think there was a diesel version as well. It worked well. Dont know how accurate it actually is but I was checking all cylinders were roughly the same. These are the diesel versions https://www.amazon.co.uk/VEVOR-Compression-Cylinder-Cylinders-Equipment/dp/B0CGZNMP64/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.BhK4KOjSmPMlySN5CyyeRCveIlza_Efppbnk0KnR7GsksieCu4vnq2kLGSahWuXxX_zzKiAOzdRfi1KbdCFZKwtkXEWouCVjGsiOLZT-bxOLwmJiv_2Pg56dsj1G250KeOBh82gmumKz7wBelvJmVUglFhsQQBbihZPRXy4lIFZBhk_uuMwoR_PcaORBQn8uMPTIqM2OT4aO8Qc9ciFvY04vBI3bR8ghCJn0jD8t4NI6gQG9bkhzjiZWOktZ2y6WfZe2MkJHSXgPIO8bRYqpIMjfN36wAPnOtRRIlOFiE40.LYUPqhJHgNBog7PkUkPwonW9ZC1qkynJY-npeeaPp0Y&dib_tag=se&keywords=VEVOR%2BDiesel%2BEngine%2BCompression%2BTester%2C%2B18%2Bpcs%2BCylinder%2BPressure%2BTest%2BTool%2BKit%2C&qid=1764437749&sr=8-1-spons&aref=RewQXPu6YP&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&th=1 There is another that looks like it has a 90 degree bend https://www.amazon.co.uk/Diesel-Engine-Compression-Automotive-PSI0737123870516/dp/B07FRHSZ2T/ref=sr_1_17?crid=29S6SE3TY1QOJ&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.ZmMp6dljXtNjimxK20pIYnwIcsucOrLTDVyUTLgHxEsEOqkMgtQDbxnq3_5JiG_K9FCuc6-AR8s30PJq4T57w9mNE01CtQ97YCCobB13B7H92338e0AIG87I32tB_IA6l5KNJmX802HPpt5aVvleiEwO5ne7TmKC-Sx_T37_4kgsHxpK48Vb3zjqxd8ngHFqK6OBnJ3Pf62V7iCGK4kSZ71pQyfi6LZ01Efa77uorA_KLqj-E7dJS1ahnSn7WXrEwKGkwHywEwJGnqic-D9JtQCbcZWRU5yxn1UpHBttYfI.xcPbt9yVDJ6i-zs8qTTBm_aITNPBH1996GADhqe3z5c&dib_tag=se&keywords=Diesel+Engine+Compression+Tester%2C+18+pcs+Cylinder+Pressure+Test+Tool+Kit%2C&qid=1764437873&sprefix=diesel+engine+compression+tester+18+pcs+cylinder+pressure+test+tool+kit+%2Caps%2C973&sr=8-17 Sorry about the length of the above links. Cant work out how to make them shorter Alasdair
-
Gearbox output shaft seal change
I think your correct re centre bolt but from memory from reading an article in case I had to replace my sons when doing clutch I think theres a spring behind it which makes it quite difficult to replace when gearbox is in car as you have to compress the spring at the same time as replacing bolt. I may be wrong on this but someone on here will know. Meant to add 300k is impressive on a fabia even the 1.9tdi! Alasdair
-
Windscreen washer - is there a fuse ?.
Could very well be the pump or the connector or switch. Best option would be to get someone else to operate switch and check your getting power to the pump. Think its fitted to the screenwash tank at bottom. I replaced mine as it had started to leak and tank used to empty itself over night. From memory I think its behind the passenger side plastic wheel arch protector Alasdair
-
skoda fabia 2013 heater problem
May need the heater flaps adjusted/calibrated. On my octavia its as follows Turn on the ignition, press and hold both the AC and Front Vent buttons (third ion from left?) until both lights start to flash then you'll hear the flaps calibrating and the lights will stop flashing after 10-20 seconds. Mine has climatronic control Alasdair
-
Cornering Performance Help
I replaced all the suspension bushes plus shocks and springs on my old MK2 and it made a huge difference. The bushes didnt look bad but the new ones stiffened everything up and made the car much more positive. Shocks werent leaking but were really poor once removed. I also went for xload tyres as I tend to carry a bit of weight which were a great improvement on the comfort style tyres that were fitted due to the stronger side walls. Not as smooth a ride but as said much more positive. Alasdair
-
Back Tyre for 1.2 TSI
Look carefully at how good winter/all season tyres are in the wet. Some are shocking. Sons got GT radial all season and plenty of grip in wet plus pretty good in snow/cold weather. I generally like to have the same tyres on each axle but have had mixed before with no problems on the rear. Would still match the front ones though. Alasdair
-
Strange botched wiring job in fuse box
Unplug them and if your headlights fail/stop working then maybe a decent autoelectrician for help or change them back to standard. I am in the process of trying to remove an aftermarket imobiliser on a MK1 mazda Eunos/MX5. Absolute nightmare trying to work out how to remove it and reconnect original wiring plus the quality of work is shocking. Wires cut and just twisted together with minimal insulation and in some cases none. Alasdair
-
Strange botched wiring job in fuse box
I agree unplug them and tape over ends just in case. If nothing stops working I would leave them alone. If for any reason something doesnt work then you may have to trace them back. It may be someone has lost a live feed and jumped the fuse box instead of finding the original fault. Have had smoke out of a few fuse boxes/burnt out wires over time due to idiots either increasing amps of a fuse 'cause the original keeps blowing' or they have no idea what their doing and are running low current devices of a high current circuit without inline protection Alasdair
-
Skoda Fabia Mk 1 2005: Electronic Problems: No High beams or fog lights, constantly auto locking
My old seat altea locks and unlocks when driving. I read on the Seat forum its probably a fault in the door lock circuit board/microswitch. Could be a dry joint or bad cable. I never did get round to fixing it as it only happend when driving and not when parked and the car was used as for work (more like a skip/shed really). Not sure how to disable autolocking but I assume it would need VCDS. I never use cruise control simply because I really dont like it. Alasdair
-
1,9 tdi Leaky turbo oil return pipe
Are you sure its from the seal and not the flexi section. Oil has a weird habit of defying gravity etc. If its from the flange then maybe some hylomar blue as well as the gasket. Have used it in the past when flange was pitted and not making decent seal. Alasdair
-
Stabilisation, driver & front assist errors
If its shutting down when driving and p0606 I wonder if its a wiring issue either poor connection to ECU/broken wire or bad earth thats cutting the engine. It may be triggered by vibration/bumps in road but ok at idle. Not sure if the strip fuses beside battery feed anything that would cause shutdown. On my sons MK1 they are individual and are prone to hair line cracks that are impossible to see until removed but I think on the MK3 they are a complete sealed unit. I assume as its a new battery its reading a decent voltage etc. It may also be a software issue. Alasdair
-
Lambda Sensor failed after 2 year 14K miles ... another MOT failure
Have a check for broken wires as well while your at it. If I remember correctly my sons connector was supposed to be clipped to something but was hanging loose. Its also not unknown for garages to just undo sensor without disconnecting connector and twist/put strain on the wires. Alasdair
- Lambda Sensor failed after 2 year 14K miles ... another MOT failure
- Clutch Octavia
-
Coolant temp stays between 65-70°c
Has the temp problem been since the stat was changed or has it just started. On mine it was ok in the summer but not when the weather turned cold. Alasdair
-
Coolant temp stays between 65-70°c
Its also possible that the wrong stat was used. I have seen two one is a lot lower temp than the other. Think one may be for very cold climate and the other hot but not sure.
-
very stiff shifting
Cables are no problem on mine. You have to lock up gearstick with think 8mm drill bit and then release and reattach cables. Think theres a you tube vid. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeOoDJuhSx8 Cant remember if I had to remove air box etc. As said also check that the cast weighted part on top of gbox selector and plastic bit are moving freeely. Alasdair
-
Coolant temp stays between 65-70°c
Sounds like the thermostat is failing or stuck open. My old Octavia did this. Took ages to get upto temp and when it was cold weather only reached around 70 degrees plus heaters were really poor.
-
2009 2.0 Diesel Octavia, Showing high coolant temp as soon as engine starts
Found this on here. Think there are two on the BKD engine. https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/245159-engine-coolant-temperature-sensor/ Think you can test with a multimeter when cold and then in hot water. The resistance should change but not sure if it drops or rises when hot.
-
very stiff shifting
I wouldnt bother changing brake fluid at the moment. Just make sure you keep reservoir topped up when bleeding clutch so you dont let level drop enough to risk gettig air in brake system. Hopefully there is air in clutch system and by bleeding it your gearchange will improve. Might be a good idea to reset the selector cables at the same time and check the plastic bit the cables attach to above gearbox is moving freely and not stiff. Had a Seat altea that the gearshift especially in 4,5th was really stiff then I snapped the plastic bit as it had seized. Looks a bit like this
-
very stiff shifting
Although the slave is in the gearbox there must be a bleed nipple externally. It does sound like the slave may be failing or the master letting fluid past the seals or air in the system. I bled my Mk2 but had to use a pressure bleeding kit(gunsons) to clear all the air after master cylinder replacement. I would bleed the system first and see if it improves. When I did mine the fluid came out black at first then eventually normal. Just make sure you dont let reservoir drop too much as its also the brake reservoir as you will need VCDS to bleed the ABS unit. Alasdair
-
HEADLIGHTS! 😩 ☠️ 🔫
Glad you found the problem. Its surprising the fuses didnt blow before the wire/switch melted but thats car electrics for you. Well done for tracing it back Alasdair
-
2012 VRS - Slip ring 5K0.9533.569.B - Alternative Suffix options
Had a quick look and there seem to be as you say a fair few with different end letters. Did come accross an ebay site that repair/recondition though They are charging £65 inc postage. Not sure how reliable they are https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/286909348755?_skw=5K0953569B&itmmeta=01KAKERDXZPFB5V4GQ834240Z8&hash=item42cd213b93:g:~m4AAeSwVZVpBN6r&itmprp=enc%3AAQAKAAAA8FkggFvd1GGDu0w3yXCmi1cZ21wAOb%2FV4OFlGUo2LmWf0%2FxwHvgU5TsFSlJgHQrmf8%2FrWYcDv%2FuYBv70QZVtiL0h61j%2F43WLQrA5lOcyL4igF8RXix2QTsvNBtxY%2B%2BtNuzt4QsWDVa1zHLCFrLGFKiunqSu758GpPrlHW%2Fi1tz5EK3Ijuom6m%2BUSbPiSwyTdp%2F7DrvdWvGBxxZMwSIgHlwPXkw3RSRuk34q93VgB94PwPtuxNRwTYuashg46sGTQNBPmFsrKxv7PNZZiqE8r1PWiAUov%2Bv1j4DvoKQQVIrkld%2BtEnmRDdkWlN7mdXyyeSw%3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR6Lf4e7UZg
-
2012 VRS - Slip ring 5K0.9533.569.B - Alternative Suffix options
If its just the flat cable then I think you can replace it. Alasdair