Everything posted by Alasdair1
- Engine pop and shaking
-
Alarm keeps going off
Folks old mk1 fabia 1.9tdi had problems with alarm going off due to failing siren battery. Local garage disabled alarm as the car was old an doubt anyone would bother stealing it. Not sure how they did it. Try hoovering the internal sensor. I think its near the interior light. If they get too dusty they can trigger the alarm randomly. You could try and remove fuse/fuses to see if it makes a difference although not sure if the alarm also supplies cluster?
- Engine pop and shaking
-
MY66 Octavia - Cracking Dunlop Sportmaxx Tyres
I always go for a decent mid range tyre. As said been using GT radial FE2 and all season on my cars with no probems plus good grip in wet. I have a fair few old cars sitting around for spares/(maybe repair). If I let the tyres go flat then they seem to crack very quickly when sitting. Never had this problem years ago. Have an old landrover with Avons on it and its sat for nearly 20 years and tyres are still fine so I assume modern tyres are more likely to perish in sunlight/weather. Probably more plastic/nylon than rubber these days Alasdair
-
MY66 Octavia - Cracking Dunlop Sportmaxx Tyres
Had same problem with quite a few fairly cheap brands including dunlop which were on car when I got it. Tyre service said they were just over 5 years old going by date stamp and were prone to cracking. Also had a set of Michelin lose there shape No bulges just out of roundness. Tyre service guy said they get it a lot with Michelin after about 3-4 years. Been using GT radial FE2 and so far no problems.
-
Choosing all season tyres 205/45r16
Sons got GT radial all season on his fabia. Plenty of grip in wet and dry. I run GT radial summer on my Octavia with zero complaints. Not sure if they do the size your looking for but they are a mid range tyre which I have used for a couple of years now. Watch the wet/dry rating on winter/all season tyres. Some are really bad.
-
HEADLIGHTS! 😩 ☠️ 🔫
Came accross this when looking. Not sure if its any help but it mentions running a wire from fuse 54 to actual headlight to check.
- 2L TDI CFHC engine is in limp mode
-
Radiator fans not coming on at at higher temps
If your getting coolant coming out of the reservoir its being over pressurised somehow. I would get it checked for exhaust gasses in the reservoir if you cant see any noticeable bubbles. The spike in temp may be an airlock thats caused by exhaust gasses entering the coolant system and then the car is managing to clear air lock. Do your heaters work all the time. Had a HG failure and the first thing was heaters blowing cold
- The dreaded same old faults...
-
Safe Jacking Point Location on Fabia 2008 Mark2
On my sons fabia mk1 there was a lable on the rear beam saying something like no jack points? I kept the axle stands as near the wheels as possible and was ok. Alasdair
-
HEADLIGHTS! 😩 ☠️ 🔫
Check the wattage of the bulbs fitted. My old van fried the connectors due to the previous owner fitting 100/80watt instead of 60/55watt. I did think the headlights were particularly good for a Fiat ducato. A bad earth can also cause things to heat up. Alasdair
-
upgrade components for torque & towing capacity
I would reset the selector cables first and also check the plastic gear selector in engine bay isnt seizing. Another possibilty is the cast weighted unit on top of gearbox selector. Make sure its not loose. Son in laws centre splined has worn so its loose. He was randomly getting no gears or difficult to change as it was hitting top of Gbox casting. Cant see anything engine related affecting gear change. Alasdair
-
Auxilary Belt Failure
Think the water pump is driven via timing belt on that one. If your waterpump isnt working but car still runs I would suspect its failed. If its not leaking then the fins may have gone and its not pumping. Had an aux belt snap on me before and wrapped itself around the alternator wrecking a few bits and pieces while it was at it. Nightmare to get it off as it got wedged behind pulleys. Alasdair
- Octavia MK2 2011 Rear Fog Light for EU driving problem - I know its an old problem, but I can't find a solution anywhere.
-
Octavia MK2 2011 Rear Fog Light for EU driving problem - I know its an old problem, but I can't find a solution anywhere.
I went for the smart bypass relay as my local skoda garage wanted about £100 to tell the car I had a towbar fitted probably as I did it myself. Its fairly simple to connect. I just followed instructions. As said had to run a cable from battery at front of car with inline 15amp fuse. Managed to feed it through the grommet in bulkhead beneath glove box and then tuck under carpets to rear. Used one like this Not sure if you could use the rear cigarette socket in boot (mines an estate) for a live feed?
-
Skoda Octavia Scout 1.8 Petrol 2010 Steering Wheel/Airbag Clip Broken
Someone on ebay selling complete loom for £6.50 eBay UKGENUINE SKODA OCTAVIA MK2 STEERING WHEEL AIRBAG WIRE LOOM...GENUINE SKODA OCTAVIA MK2 STEERING WHEEL AIRBAG WIRE LOOM 1K0971584 2009-2013I reckon its a skoda/vw only part so maybe dealers as well.
-
Octavia MK2 2011 Rear Fog Light for EU driving problem - I know its an old problem, but I can't find a solution anywhere.
You could try a smart bypass relay for towing and wire the fog lights to it. I first fitted a towbar to a Seat but when trailer was connected the blown bulb symbol illuminated. I then fitted a smart bypass relay system and all was good. Only thing I had to do was run a live from +ve battery terminal with an in line fuse. On my octavia it was already in place on right hand side in boot.
-
Misfire at 29-32 mph in 4th gear
Think some EML lights have to be reset depending on the severity of fault and others will reset themselves once car is stopped and started. If its gone out thats a bonus. Hope it stays off. As for the misfire reckon it might need a specialist to diagnose it if there are no fault codes stored related to it. I assume you have swapped coil packs etc to see if fault moves from cylinder to cylinder. It could be a wiring issue? Alasdair
-
Misfire at 29-32 mph in 4th gear
Did find 05E 906 517 B on LLL parts but nothing for 05E906517A Its for a tiguan. Just wondering if someone has replaced it with a different part previously. May have to go to Skoda with vin etc and ask them. Alasdair Hope it stays that way. Alasdair
-
Misfire at 29-32 mph in 4th gear
I cant find any either . Are you sure its 05E not 06E? Alasdair
-
Misfire at 29-32 mph in 4th gear
No have no oil showing on plugs. Sons car went into limp mode with EML on due to failed purge valve but he also had a vaccum leak at pipes to brake servo which was causing eratic idle etc. Its been fine since I taped up servo hoses and replaced purge valve. If there is oil on plugs then maybe a compression test/leak down test to check piston rings/stem seals are ok. Did have a problem with my old 1.9tdi when it was revved high would go into limp mode and EML light on. It was overboosting due to sticking turbo actuator. I oiled it and manually operated it for ages till it moved smoothly. Have you had it checked for codes etc.
-
Misfire at 29-32 mph in 4th gear
Yep I think so but cant quite read part number. Google part number on it and see what comes up. Check that there are no splits in the pipes first before replacing. Alasdair
-
Dipstick Plastic Broke off into sump
Did read on here that someone had problems with low oil pressure. They removed sump and found plastic bits from they think previous dipstick in oil pick up. There oil pick up was partly choked. I would assume that the oil filter would grab any smaller pieces that make it through, Chances of it coming out next oil change would I reckon be fairly small. Alasdair
-
Misfire at 29-32 mph in 4th gear
Might be worth getting it scanned with VCDS to see if it gives a more accurate reading of fault codes or pings anything else up. The purge valve on my sons mk1 fabia failed with similar fault codes. I replaced valve and seems to have cured problem. From memory I think it was around £20 off amazon and that was a Bosch one. On his its just two pipes and a connector so easy to swap. His was on the left of engine looking from front of car. Alasdair