latest fw for rns 510/columbus 2660/2666/2662/2668/2664

DSA

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm trying to extract more information about the soldering thing from the Polish vwnavi guy. But, given that he told mickey32 after he fixed his unit that attempting to upgrade it in the future would definitely brick it again, I don't think the soldering thing is an easy thing to reverse.

Oh btw scouter, mine can't see the hard disk either, so I can't copy my maps on. Strangely, it is aware of you putting an sd card in as a message pops up, but then it won't play from it. Sounds like yours is just as hosed as mine + the audio too! That really sucks. :(

Edited by wega3k

Does anyone think my credit card issuer would be of any assistance, given that the unit I bought using their card from ebay looks like it was stolen? I bought it exactly 4 months ago.

I've just had a response back from Grielka and she did not refute my allegation that the unit was stolen.

I don't think people questioned the origin of these ebay units too much and I think that may just have come back to bite us.

If you have a unit where any of the seals have been broken (one of mine was, but very skilfully re-sealed) and it didn't come with an official code card, do not risk trying to upgrade it. I believe it's highly likely it will fail.

If I were buying one again, I would insist to see seals on the unit are intact AND that it has an official code card.

Edited by wega3k

I've just had a response back from Grielka and she did not refute my allegation that the unit was stolen.

I don't think people questioned the origin of these ebay units too much and I think that may just have come back to bite us.

If you have a unit where any of the seals have been broken (one of mine was, but very skilfully re-sealed) and it didn't come with an official code card, do not risk trying to upgrade it. I believe it's highly likely it will fail.

If I were buying one again, I would insist to see seals on the unit are intact AND that it has an official code card.

I got mine From Stu....i'm pretty sure he's reputable around here!!! :rofl::P

FFS, vwnavi is still down! Cheap asses with their lame hosting :)

No, I've not taken mine to bits. I only had contact with polish dude by PM on vwnavi and that's down now.

I've tried to downgrade to 1024, but I can't coax it back to the right software loading error screen to end the swl, hence I'm stuck in an infinite SWL loop at the moment so no cd / radio / nav right now. :(

Hmm, fairly cool, I appear to have a sane gateway again...

rns-1024.jpg

However, I still can't trick it into coming out of the SWL loop so the unit isn't usable. I swear if I see the words EcuOrder.txt - User cancellation many more times I'm going to cry.

Another update - I broke out of the SWL loop on 1024. Unit is up and running 1024.

This time we have cd / radio / nav from dvd plus SD CARD and sending song titles and nav info rather than just "RNS TRINAX" maxidot!

Unit still appears garbled in VCDS and cannot see hard disk. I'd really like to try fw1004 (the original) in it to see if it would bring the hard disk and gateway back to life fully but I can't find a link. Anyone?

Edited by wega3k

Does anyone think my credit card issuer would be of any assistance, given that the unit I bought using their card from ebay looks like it was stolen? I bought it exactly 4 months ago.

I once had a brand new radio stolen from an old car and would have been able to get the credit card company to accept responsibility if it had been taken within 100 days of purchase - sadly it was 110!

However, under the Sale of Goods Act, merchandise has to be suitable for its intended use (maybe not the exact words though), so it (maybe) should allow upgrades but then again - it was working when you received it and only stopped due to your actions! Something that could be argued though.

I would certainly contact them and ask what your position is - also contact your supplier and see if he/she will replace it. At least you have then showed (or tried) contact with the supplier (which must happen) before the CC co. can look into it.

Also, have you tried PayPal as they may be able to sort it as well?

so are we saying Grielka sells stolen units (or has sold at least one of them)?

A bit off-topic and I already said so in the thread about RNS-510 units on eBay, but: OF COURSE THOSE ARE STOLEN !

IMHO: buying a Columbus off eBay for as little as £500 (sometimes even less), is almost as bad as stealing one yourself. These get stolen by the bunch, and I bet noone would like it if theirs got stolen, right? :rotz:

Anyway. I upgraded my unit yesterday and with great success. Two things slightly bother me though:

1) the displayed max. speed isn't very accurate. I know VW/Skoda can't help this, seeing this is map-data, but still: not very reliable at all !

2) the voice-control does not work out of the box (yes, I have the BT unit). apparently, you need to fix a couple of things through the can bus first

Having said that: great update! :)

I don't think it's fair to say all are stolen, yes maybe some are but it's difficult to prove either way and I think following this line with a CC company or PayPal would prove difficult too. Many are as stated above, Factory Refurbs.

At the end of the day playing with these upgrades is playing with fire and you need to be aware of the risks before you start. The firmware is not for the use of the general public, it is supplied to dealers only - For a good reason!! I've you've bricked it is nobody else's fault but your own I'm afraid.

I've ordered a few for people in the past, from what I believe to be a reputable source, but once they came on to eBay in droves it was no longer viable as the eBay ones were so much cheaper.

I don't think it's fair to say all are stolen, yes maybe some are but it's difficult to prove either way and I think following this line with a CC company or PayPal would prove difficult too. Many are as stated above, Factory Refurbs.

At the end of the day playing with these upgrades is playing with fire and you need to be aware of the risks before you start. The firmware is not for the use of the general public, it is supplied to dealers only - For a good reason!! I've you've bricked it is nobody else's fault but your own I'm afraid.

I've ordered a few for people in the past, from what I believe to be a reputable source, but once they came on to eBay in droves it was no longer viable as the eBay ones were so much cheaper.

Ah, so mine was a little dearer. But then again the firmware update worked first time (even with they keys in and me opening the door every 5 mins :rofl:)

P.S. we still on V3 maps? or something more up to date Stu?

Hi guys, going back slightly. For anyone having issues with the Blackberry Bold losing connectivity I think I may have the fix. I read on a post recently that someone else had no problems for 4 weeks then suddenly one day it wouldn't connect.

This happened to me and I went out of my way to find out how to fix it without deleting the profile and having to set up the short-cuts again every 4 weeks.

Solution: enter Blackberry Bold Bluetooth options screen, click Blackberry soft key, select options, scroll down, un-check "SIM Access Profile", click blackberry key, select Save, re-check "SIM Access Profile", then click save

Only tried it once but it brought mine back to life at next connection attempt.

PM me and let me know if it works for people. :)

Did the fw update on my RNS510 and it works fine. Also connected a mic and the voicecontrol is working. Only on one point, navigation, new destination, adress, city or street, asking for city and than naming a city, it hangs itself up. Only a reset will work than.....

(after update, hooked it up to VCDS and activated voice control and the service menu again)

mmm mine is from Grielka too and the seals seems broken. Oh did I mention that I have a used brick for sale? :rofl:

I guess its on to Poland next

Also an interesting bit re the hidden menu that people have lost - looks like it isn't lost, just accessed a different way:

...it used to be <>i to reboot, wait for "Starting..." message then hold the "SETUP" button - now it looks as though you just go into the normal setup menu, then a long press on the "SETUP" button & that should bring up the hidden menu.

This is the way I access the hidden service menu from the first time I made it accessable with VCDS. First with the original fw 0520, after that with the 900, than with the 1100 and now with the 266* fw. RNS510 A version.

Never had to do a reboot first.

Seriously thinking to do the F/W upgrade, but a bit nervous seeing some of the issues some people have had. (I got mine from ebay, and I did get the official card with the code on). One thing I have noticed on the Radio setup is I get a DAB option show up along with FM and AM. Doesn't sem to work though. Is this normal? I would have thought that DAB was an extra module or something. If it's normal is it just a case of suck it and see with the upgrade, or is it best to wait a bit? I don't get the Hidden menu either.

Edited by Farmerp2005
typo

You will loose the DAB option after the update. But no fear, it only works if the suitable hardware is connected. IIRC VW had that as an option.

Hidden menu can be made accessable with VCDS or VAG-COM. It is not a std feature.

Another update - I broke out of the SWL loop on 1024. Unit is up and running 1024.

This time we have cd / radio / nav from dvd plus SD CARD and sending song titles and nav info rather than just "RNS TRINAX" maxidot!

Unit still appears garbled in VCDS and cannot see hard disk. I'd really like to try fw1004 (the original) in it to see if it would bring the hard disk and gateway back to life fully but I can't find a link. Anyone?

I've just registered here after reading this topic with interest (I usually post on SeatCupra.net)

I too updated my (VW) RNS510 I bought off ebay back in January and it's now a brick. Annoyed I bothered to upgrade to be honest as I was happy with how it was! The seller claims he bought from a VW dealer in Germany direct so not stolen despite the fact seals are broken on the unit, cost me £900 back then as well!

Anyway, the unit is now stuck in the SWL loop in that when you turn it on it just says can't boot - insert CD etc. How did you get it working without the HDD again? It's a tad annoying that vwnavi.com is down too, as I suspect this guy in Poland will be getting quite a few pms coming his way when it's back up!