What did you do to your Skoda today?

RobClubley

Realised on the way home that even though i've only had it for nine months, I wracked up my 17,000th mile in the Octavia this evening. Touch wood it's got another 143k left in it.

• Like 1

Realised on the way home that even though i've only had it for nine months, I wracked up my 17,000th mile in the Octavia this evening. Touch wood it's got another 143k left in it.

That's some good going. I've had my Rapid for a little over 9 months myself and I'm a few miles short of 12k... I'm on course for around 16k after 12 months.

To be honest the Skoda became a bit of a favourite in the household with even the mrs taking a shine to it so its had more than its fair share of use. If there hadn't been the joke exploding clutch pedal a few months ago every one of those miles would have been faultless too, especially notable given its fourteen years old.

I've got a lot of time for those Rapids, looking forward to ordering ours later this year.

Are you going to go for the Spaceback? They do look good, especially when specced up a little higher, a decent dealer discount and it'd be a good purchase. The monster boot in mine has been excellent for shifting my sister and her two twins between south wales and mum and dads, and it's been brilliant for me on mornings when I'm taking my Guitar & associated gear with me... I can literally just open it, drop the stuff in the boot and shut it again..

The one thing that made my life hell with the old Fabia was having to do that on rainy/cold/windy mornings while manually unlocking the car, open the door, pull the lever, try to open the hatch, find it's not released properly, pull the lever again and wedge it open with the demister pad, walk back to the boot, play tetris trying to fit everything in ... etc... god I'm getting wound up just thinking about it :D

I never did manage to figure out why the boot didn't always release properly.

Alas no, I was terribly disappointed with the Spaceback- especially when it didn't have all the fancy styling packs on them. Reminded me of a sad old Mazda 323 and the clientel surrounding the one in the showroom was alarmingly beige. I had such high hopes for it but sat next to the notchback our minds were made up.

Candy white would be nice but I know the gaffer has her eye on petrol blue but ultimately SE spec with some options (boot net!)  will fit the bill nicely, most likely a tdi.  I'm just chuffed i've not got to stump up VW prices this time around

I suppose if the cars didn't have their quirks they wouldn't be bonded with so well- you secretly miss the Fabby  :rofl:

• Like 1

I suppose if the cars didn't have their quirks they wouldn't be bonded with so well- you secretly miss the Fabby  :rofl:

It was an excellent car all told, cost me £2k, did 50 odd thousand miles and got £1500 trade in after I accidentally did some serious haggling ...

On the subject of quirks I particularly enjoyed it when the gearbox occasionally decided it *really* wanted to stay in third, requiring some brute force to get it to change  :rofl:  I could usually tell when it was going to do that because it felt 'different' when going in to third, but the first time it did it I crapped myself! It probably just needed the linkage adjustment resetting but I never bothered because I would have needed to take out half the engine bay to get at the cables.

• Like 1

I decided that it was now time to honour it with a name. I named her Kate. I have a bad habit of naming my cars after its licence plates which in this case happened to be, KTE XXX.

Honestly, I outdid myself this time. The names usually suck. Hazard (HZR XXX), Lady B/Lady Benz (BEE XXX - Mercedes, go figure.) shall I go on?

Lowered it.

Well at least I've lowered the rear suspesion by putting about 150kg of stuff in the back of it. Think I might need to move it to nearer the middle of the car because it handles funny now :S  I can get 4 fingers in between the front tyre and the wheel arch but I can barely see the top of my rear tyre in the wheel arch never mind get a finger in.

Lowered it.

Well at least I've lowered the rear suspesion by putting about 150kg of stuff in the back of it. Think I might need to move it to nearer the middle of the car because it handles funny now :S  I can get 4 fingers in between the front tyre and the wheel arch but I can barely see the top of my rear tyre in the wheel arch never mind get a finger in.

Dirty boy !!!

• Like 1