What did you do to your Skoda today?

RobClubley

Had a really busy day on the two Octavias today

On the 54 plate, installed the new Mobius camera that arrived today, along with a USB charging socket in one of the blank buttons below the heater panel.

attachicon.gif20150414_193039.jpg        attachicon.gif20150414_192825.jpg

Went out on the road to find the cruise wasn't working, so took the switch out, stripped it down and cleaned it. Once it was put back, went back out again, and BINGO! Got a working cruise again, for free.

Even went to the extent of hoovering it out after I finished, and also put a Vulcan to the Sky sticker in this car to match the other!

attachicon.gif20150414_195717.jpg

Whilst the laptop and VCDS was outside to clear any codes on the 54 plate, found the switch for the intermittent wipers was playing up on the 08 plate, so stripped this switch down the same way as the cruise on the other one, cleaned it, and cleared the faults. All seems to be working fine now.

Also gave the 08 plate a once over ready for a 4am run to Leeds Bradford airport with a neighbour, Off to bed now as it's been a long day!

Mike

Only went for an 'A' lens??? Should have gone for the 'B' lens model for that extra view. ;)

I battled with that same error intermittently, Mike. Didn't see any difference with the error logged, compared to no error!

So might just be a 'red herring' for you :)

Started work on the old wheels today, got the first 2 wheels stripped with the drill brush and 2 coats of primer on.

Before:

WP_20150417_07_38_56_Pro_zps51ozrrjt.jpg

During:

WP_20150417_10_37_06_Pro_zpsdovi4yox.jpg

And for after you can just imagine a wheel painted in a matt Meteor grey because I forgot to take the afters.

And yes, I left the weights on because I'm not after perfection, just wanting them to be clean and rust free because they looked terrible before and really showed the car up. And I'm not paying to get them re balanced.

• Like 1

Yesterday - Put the front centre lower grill back into the bumper.

mullered a badger on my way home from work wednesday night/thursday morning. He sat on the road side, looked at me, aand waited until i was 20ft away then waddled straight out in front of me... not a hope of missing him!

didnt notice the grill pushed in until yestrday morning before heading for work.

Today will hopefully be a clean out and maybe a wash if i get the time.

Spent about 5 hours on the car today, 4 hours washing and polishing the outside, then about an hour hard wiring a feed for my TomTom and running the cable to the base of the A pillar.

Need to clean the mk1 tomorrow and do the inside of mine.

Tried to snow foam it, but it back fired. Think I'm regretting by an aldi jet washer and snow foam lance. I need to make more adjustments to the lance, or buy a compatible gun somehow. Frustrating.

So it was back to the two bucket method today!

Started work on the old wheels today, got the first 2 wheels stripped with the drill brush and 2 coats of primer on.

Before:

WP_20150417_07_38_56_Pro_zps51ozrrjt.jpg

During:

WP_20150417_10_37_06_Pro_zpsdovi4yox.jpg

And for after you can just imagine a wheel painted in a matt Meteor grey because I forgot to take the afters.

And yes, I left the weights on because I'm not after perfection, just wanting them to be clean and rust free because they looked terrible before and really showed the car up. And I'm not paying to get them re balanced.

That quick rub down and prime has given them a nice rat-look shabby chic finish.

Edited by faradaycage

That quick rub down and prime has given them a nice rat-look shabby chic finish.

That's just the rub down, as I say, I haven't got photos of the primed wheel because I forgot to take them as we were off to the dealers to get my dads wheels so I was in a bit of a hurry to pack up. I will admit though, they do look rather nice just rubbed off but unfortunately they would just rust as soon as look at them if I left them that way.

That's just the rub down, as I say, I haven't got photos of the primed wheel because I forgot to take them as we were off to the dealers to get my dads wheels so I was in a bit of a hurry to pack up. I will admit though, they do look rather nice just rubbed off but unfortunately they would just rust as soon as look at them if I left them that way.

Cool effect you've created there. :clap:

• Like 1

Changed my Sidelight LED's from some cheap ones to some osram 6000k ones, one of the new osram ones failed within seconds... and is now barely lit... :swear: , unhappy ebayer indeed!

Gave the old girl a wash. Found a new car cleaning tip - spray wheel cleaner (non acidic - I use bilberry) along the sills then use a brush and hose to clean off the grime. Sills now look the cleanest they have in a long time and it's better than getting your wash mitt really grubby.

476996b9c42dda2b5d201785b778f212.jpg

Also realised I forgot to order some plastic trim restorer with my most recent detailing order. Might order some new badges too as the front one especially is not looking too good.

Filled the Octavia with some 500lb of clay and soil (in sacks!), and Samuel, went to tip, removed 500lb of weight and watched the gap reappear under the rear arches, went to children's farm, came home and hosed it, shampooed it, AG aquawax and then tried a light coat of wax on bonnet, wings, roof and front doors.

Cleaned the windows and blacked the tyres then used AG sealant on the front alloys.

Admired very shiny Octy whilst paying for £40 of Shell's finest diesel :)

Then discoveredd Mobius is recording intermittently.

Added 7 hours of Stephen Fry reading Paddington Bear to the Bolero's SD card.

Not today but yesterday cleaned it and got the thick layer of brick mortar dust off it and the civic that I had created by 5hrs of crack stiching the garage walls. ;-) . must remember to park the cars upwind next time I do some

Finished off the first 2 wheels.

Photo from last time of the wheels with 2 coats of primer:

WP_20150421_10_47_41_Pro_zps1azrknp7.jpg

Now with 2 coats of primer, then 2 coats of matt black as a base then 2 coats of rubberized black on top:

WP_20150421_11_33_16_Pro_zpsnwbbcroz.jpg

And a before and after shot with one of the wheels I haven't done yet:

WP_20150421_11_34_43_Pro_zpsek0r0eau.jpg

I have to say I am shocked that a wheel on a car that is less than 4 years old should ever be in a condition anything like this. The paint came off so easily when I stripped them that I could have just about done the job with a toothbrush!

And after that I re did the pin-striping on the grille with some proper vinyl:

WP_20150421_15_33_24_Pro_zpsutdymbb1.jpg

Photo doesn't show it so good but it is in the shade, the vinyl is a lot brighter shade of red than the electrical tape and stands out a bit more while still being subtle. The stripe on the far left (far right in the picture) has already come off and had to be replaced, it isn't sticking too well despite all the slits being cleaned with alcohol wipes. If this continues to happen then I will be getting a small tin of red paint and a thin brush. That'll sort it once and for all.

• Like 1

Replacement Osram Side Led's arrived today after the first faulty batch i recieved, fitted them to the car and just tested them, happy bunny B)

DSC_0217.jpg

Ignore the missing grill, just finished painting it today so its drying :P

Finished off the first 2 wheels.

Photo from last time of the wheels with 2 coats of primer:

WP_20150421_10_47_41_Pro_zps1azrknp7.jpg

Now with 2 coats of primer, then 2 coats of matt black as a base then 2 coats of rubberized black on top:

WP_20150421_11_33_16_Pro_zpsnwbbcroz.jpg

And a before and after shot with one of the wheels I haven't done yet:

WP_20150421_11_34_43_Pro_zpsek0r0eau.jpg

I have to say I am shocked that a wheel on a car that is less than 4 years old should ever be in a condition anything like this. The paint came off so easily when I stripped them that I could have just about done the job with a toothbrush!

And after that I re did the pin-striping on the grille with some proper vinyl:

WP_20150421_15_33_24_Pro_zpsutdymbb1.jpg

Photo doesn't show it so good but it is in the shade, the vinyl is a lot brighter shade of red than the electrical tape and stands out a bit more while still being subtle. The stripe on the far left (far right in the picture) has already come off and had to be replaced, it isn't sticking too well despite all the slits being cleaned with alcohol wipes. If this continues to happen then I will be getting a small tin of red paint and a thin brush. That'll sort it once and for all.

Very nice, need to sort my steelies out sometime soon as they are starting to look like yours did previously.

Also i like the pinstripes, would definately reccomend paint though if you want to go the extra mile for a permanent fix :)

• Like 1

Also painted my front grill, much better than chrome :D

Freshly lacquered, still wet.

DSC_0214.jpg

Dry to the touch, quite a nice finish, and no rubbing down required!

DSC_0216.jpg