Uncomfortable drivers seat on Yeti

Andyajm2

I think that I'd try something  too. I'm lucky in that I fit my Yeti and have done 500 miles in a day without discomfort. Before giving up I'd buy a recaro or similar and store the original seat for resale time.

• Like 1

Hiya ej ,,,,, on further thought I'm going to give this a go

Sweet.  I'll let you know when I've done the job on my car and we can make arrangements to have a look at yours.

you must be a giant if the yeti seats don't support your thighs ?????

Not really, only 6ft and 34" inside leg.  Nonetheless, even with the seat fairly low it doesn't provide quite enough support at the front edge, ie above the knee - reference steps 4 and 5 in the Recaro guide to seat adjustment.  As I say, I don't get the serious discomfort that you experience, but it still feels not quite right.

Note that step 3 in the Recaro guide is about adjusting the seat height.  In the Yeti, raising the seat actually tips it forward (I assume it only really rises at the rear) so IMO it's actually not possible to perform step 4 independently of step 3.  Currently, if I raise the seat per Recaro's step 3, I feel as if I'm being tipped forward into the footwell.  That is uncomfortable, as it forces me to keep my legs braced (albeit just a little) and is probably quite poor ergonomically as well.  That's why I want to try adding a fixed amount of rise at the front of the seat, so that I can have the overall seat height closer to what it should be.

I think driver's seating comfort is extremely dependent on each individual's body shape, relative dimensions of torso and limbs etc.  In general I think the Yeti seats are pretty good, but clearly the range of independent adjustment for the manual seats is slightly compromised.  This can cause problems for a small number of owners who fall just that bit too far outside the range of body shapes that can be accommodated comfortably in the seats as supplied.  As JCP suggested, even fitting an alternative seat could work out less costly than swapping the whole car (although unfortunately Recaro don't seem to list one for the Yeti).

Like all VAG cars the non electric Yeti seat goes up more at the back than the front as you ratchet it up. In this fashion:

post-55900-0-80418000-1391784801_thumb.jpg

Here is my take on why I found the Yeti drivers seat uncomfortable.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/301781-se-seats-v-elegance-seats/?p=3600915

Im now quite convinced that for me the issue is the steering that cannot be pulled out enough. I tried the manual drivers seat as well as the electrical one and had the same problem with both although the electrical one was a bit better due to the possibility of tilting the seat independent of the height adjustment.

last wednesday I drove my Yeti elegance for five hours, it started to get very

uncomfortable, just after a halfway comfort break, don't laugh, I took my wallet

out of my back pocket instant relief!.

I had to give up work because of severe sciatica, in the end I had four worn

out discs removed and my back fused (two supporting steel rods as well)

Two things I noticed, if the back rest was too straight it gave me pain, if I wore

a wide leather belt, that could put pressure on my sciatic nerve area and cause

pain. Be aware that there could be more to it than the car seat. Incidently I had

acupuncture, chiropracters, and GP's telling me it was muscular, trapped nerve etc.

In the end I insisted on an X-Ray, this led to an MRI scan and an 8.5 hour operation.

Get your back properly checked out, it could save a big operation later. 

• Like 2

Hiya ej ,,,,, on further thought I'm going to give this a go ,,,,,,,, you must be a giant if the yeti seats don't support your thighs ?????

Have you tried using tapered foam + cushion to give some lift at the back (see my post #3 in this thread)? For the few quid it costs it is worth a try. Without it I think I would have had to sell our car, but with it I have managed to drive several hundred miles in a day without a problem. If you do change the mountings as suggested, then would you have to inform your insurance company? In event of an accident could they claim that it is a mod and refuse to pay out if they have not been informed (even if it had nothing to do with the accident)? If it works for you and insurance is not a problem, then it is certainly neater than my solution!

Have you tried using tapered foam + cushion to give some lift at the back (see my post #3 in this thread)? For the few quid it costs it is worth a try. Without it I think I would have had to sell our car, but with it I have managed to drive several hundred miles in a day without a problem. If you do change the mountings as suggested, then would you have to inform your insurance company? In event of an accident could they claim that it is a mod and refuse to pay out if they have not been informed (even if it had nothing to do with the accident)? If it works for you and insurance is not a problem, then it is certainly neater than my solution!

I have bought something similar online this weekend mate, a kind of wedge shaped cushion that is in the post now, will let you know what the results like.

During this mornings trip up north i may have stumbled upon a comfy position through anger !! No pain at all today ,,,,,, time will tell

I have had no problems at all with seat comfort although I am only 5ft.10ins. But I did notice when I was considering the facelift Yeti that two of the web magazine reviewers did  mention a problem with seating being too upright and not in correct alignment with the steering wheel. Perhaps it is only a problem with tall drivers

Having sat in and driven several original and FL Yeti there is no difference in the location of the seats or the driving position, between the two versions. The reviewers are IMHO confused.

If they believe the driving position is too upright perhaps they should have adjusted the seat / steering wheel to a better position; there being a wide range of adjustment.

Guy

sent from my Sony Xperia Z1

Having sat in and driven several original and FL Yeti there is no difference in the location of the seats or the driving position, between the two versions. The reviewers are IMHO confused.

If they believe the driving position is too upright perhaps they should have adjusted the seat / steering wheel to a better position; there being a wide range of adjustment.

Guy

sent from my Sony Xperia Z1

Exactly. They were clutching at straws to just be able to say something.

• Like 4

There is a large range of adjustment in the driving position. I'm 6'4" and my wife is 5'1". I have the seat all the way back and as low as it will go and she has it the opposite. No issue with knocking our knee on the center console whereas I've had this problem on several other cars we've owned.

I've just tried 33q's "fix", and raised the front of my driver's seat.  I thought the 40mm he used at the rear of his seat might be a bit too much, so I decided to start off with just 20mm.  Oh my goodness, what a difference!  The seat cushion is now providing thigh support all the way to the front edge, and I feel as if I'm sitting in the seat rather than being on the verge of starting slide off it.  I can also feel the seat heating further down my legs, rather than just in the @rse area!

I think 20mm might be just a little bit too much, in fact.  I might experiment with 15mm in a day or two.  But overall a great improvement and, for me at least, well worth doing.

To kerms34: I understand that you've now managed to find a comfortable driving position.  However, if you'd still like to try the "33q fix" then send me a message via Briskoda (just hover your mouse over my username and the option should appear) and we can arrange to meet up and try it on your Yeti.

• Like 1

I've just tried 33q's "fix", and raised the front of my driver's seat. I thought the 40mm he used at the rear of his seat might be a bit too much, so I decided to start off with just 20mm. Oh my goodness, what a difference! The seat cushion is now providing thigh support all the way to the front edge, and I feel as if I'm sitting in the seat rather than being on the verge of starting slide off it. I can also feel the seat heating further down my legs, rather than just in the @rse area!

I think 20mm might be just a little bit too much, in fact. I might experiment with 15mm in a day or two. But overall a great improvement and, for me at least, well worth doing.

To kerms34: I understand that you've now managed to find a comfortable driving position. However, if you'd still like to try the "33q fix" then send me a message via Briskoda (just hover your mouse over my username and the option should appear) and we can arrange to meet up and try it on your Yeti.

Awh. Sweet.

Honestly this mod takes 10 minutes. Cut 40mm tube, loosen the front two seat bolts, remove the two rear bolts , insert spacers, refit with longer bolts.

I'll cut you two pieces of tube and I bought a pack of 10 bolts so I have 8 spare. Such a shame you are 200 mikes away otherwise I would have sorted it fir you.

I'd be a little suspect of how that's going to hold up in a serious crash.

As standard the seat rails are against the floorpan and between those two, the bolts are pretty much entirely threaded into substantial metalwork. The whole bolt can dissipate energy directly into the floor pan of the car.

Now you've got 40mm of "freestanding" bolt - it's probably unwise to rely on having any structural rigidity against lateral forces from your bit of pipe. I think you'd could stand a significant chance of those front bolts shearing.

I'd be a little suspect of how that's going to hold up in a serious crash.

As standard the seat rails are against the floorpan and between those two, the bolts are pretty much entirely threaded into substantial metalwork. The whole bolt can dissipate energy directly into the floor pan of the car.

Now you've got 40mm of "freestanding" bolt - it's probably unwise to rely on having any structural rigidity against lateral forces from your bit of pipe. I think you'd could stand a significant chance of those front bolts shearing.

The standard seat runners are not against the floor plan. They are elevated slightly to clear the carpet. In my case the bolts have been replaced with longer ones so the threaded portion of the captive fixings in the floor are fully covered.

I'm not an engineer so I cannot comment on the 'lateral forces' point.

Personally I feel better for being comfortable and the better quality the nut being the wheel the safer the vehicle is.....IMHO of course

Personally I feel better for being comfortable and the better quality the nut being the wheel the safer the vehicle is.....IMHO of course

I guess there is some merit to the holistic approach. :)

The longer the spacer and bolt are the greater the possible risk which Nick has pointed out. If you ensure the bolt is a high grade item and keep it to an additional 25 mm ensuring that it is fully into the captive thread I would guess the additional risk is wthin an acceptable range-instinctively I'd be a little worried at 40mm and would want the spacer to be snugly fitting against both ends and to be made of steel so it contributes to a rigid assembly. In an acccident the driver's weight should also be restrained by a well fitted seat belt.

I have seen an old style mini leave the track at Snetterton and have a substantial accident because the seat fixing failed when the driver tried to brake and the seat moved so his attempt to slow failed.

If the rear mounts are as original and the fronts are properly torqued and the spacers aren't flimsy I would trust the overall strength. But I'm only a long term amateur -not an engineer!!

• Like 1

I do sympathize with drivers who are suffering but surely in the case of a serious accident your insurance would be null and void if non standard bolts were found, also I imagine it would have some bearing on your Skoda guarantee.

Now I'm back from working overseas and the yeti is in use everyday , I'm actually finding it a lot more comfy , think the seats needed running in as well as the engine !

First brand new car ,,,, it's quite startling how much the yeti is changing over the 2500 miles ,,, for the better I might add.

• 1 year later...

Well I'm 4 weeks into Yeti ownership now and this topic is very much on my radar. The first week I was fine and did several journeys of 4+ hours no problem. Now I get crippling lower back pain within minutes of driving the car no matter how I position the seat. 

In 20 years of driving I've never had a car give me back pain, let alone pain that makes me feel physically sick. Unless I find a solution to this then sadly it will have to go and I will lose a lot of money. I can't do 25,000 miles a year in a car that leaves me barely able to walk after 15 minutes behind the wheel. 

:(

Holy thread resurrection batman!

Seriously though, it sounds a bit odd that one week you can do several long trips with no problem and suddenly you get pain in minutes. Are you sure it's the car, have you done something else to your back?

I can sympathise, both my wife and I have suffered back pain. We tried all sorts until a local chiropractor sorted it. No pain ever since