FUBAR

V-strom 650 is the same engine as the SV650.

Nice engine. Rides nice. Nice flat torque curve.

But lift the tank and fasteners n screws etc are all seemingly made of cheese. It shows its price point in that respect.

Both the v-strom and the sv seem to be very well priced compared to relevant models from other manufacturers, having said that, the training centre I'm using use the sv650, so the Suzuki's must be reasonably reliable and well built

Both the v-strom and the sv seem to be very well priced compared to relevant models from other manufacturers, having said that, the training centre I'm using use the sv650, so the Suzuki's must be reasonably reliable and well built

They are a good price, but the pricing shows in some areas (you have to remember its a £4k bike brand new). The suspension is basically pants, the forks will bottom out over pot holes if youre heavier than 5 stone. Youll see a few sv's with GSXR forks on as the ultimate cure to this, but others have had better springs and oil in too.

The rear shock isnt the best either, but Hagon do an upgrade for a reasonable price and some people fit a ZX10R shock as a cheap upgrade.

Another area is the fasteners and fixings. They really are very soft, so you have to be careful.

However, they are very reliable good bikes. The engine is a peach tbh. Sounds ace with an aftermarket can too.

Get the suspension sorted and youve got abit of a weapon on the bendy stuff. Bigger stuff will pull away on the straight but the SV is more than capable in the corners as its so light and agile, and youre always in the torque curve.

Id recommend one to anyone. I loved the one i had. I ran that for 15,000 miles and sold it on for a change.

Edited by fabiamk2SE

It is a marmite thing though I guess.  Don't get me wrong I don't knock anyone for liking them or wanting them but in my opinion there are better more flexible engines out there that are smoother than the Boxer that has that inherent torque reaction when you blip the throttle.  But that is my opinion and anyone else is entitled to theirs as long as I don't have to ride a boxer. :D

I've also had 3 Hinckley Triples, 955 Daytona, 955 Speed Triple and Tiger 1050 (pics way back in this very thread :) ) That torque reaction is "character" :) The new heavy flywheel LC engines don't have as much TR as they used to, and are 125BHP so not far off 1200 Hinckleys. I like boxer engines but have had all configurations under the sun I think, and I'm looking around for a Guzzi at the moment as I've never had one.

I nearly jumped ship to Triumph when I bought my first LC GS (I jumped from Triumph to BMW for my main bike) but the 1200 just didn't do it for me, I don't know why, it just didn't and some of the fasteners were already furred up on the Demo bike I had for the day.

I'll have another Triumph, but waiting to see what they do with the Tiger Sport as it's due a proper refresh, and see if I can stretch to one of those as well as my RT, it's either that or another BMW as the S1000XR is on the radar, and honestly, it's truly phenomenal, it's totally totally mental, and the only bike I've ever ridden were I've thought "You know, I think I'll leave that traction control on" :)

If I have to say one thing about the Triumph it is that the quality of some of the bits could be better.  Little bits of surface corrosion here and there and not as good as the Honda VFR800 I had before.  I realise the Boxer engine has improved considerably over the years but even when I test rode a 1200GS the same day as I test rode the VFR that I bought I still wasn't impressed.  Took me back to my days when I did my first Police Course on a bike (BMW 45/R?) or some such thing and it really was pants. OK it had probably been thrashed to within an inch of it's life more than a couple of times but it really was awful.

As I have said before in other threads I am not a bike snob and as far as I am concerned it is each to their own just my own won't be a Boxer.  I have had a V twin before CX500 and I liked the old plastic slug and around that time I was really tempted to buy a Moto Guzzi Le Manns but bottled out.  Friend of mine has one along with a couple of Triumphs.

So I agree with what you say mostly especially this bit. :D :D :D  Proper made I chuckle.

and the only bike I've ever ridden were I've thought "You know, I think I'll leave that traction control on" :)

• Like 1

Has anyone had a Suzuki DL V-Strom 650? I really like the look of them & I quite fancy a v-twin.

I ran one for a year and concur with the others. The bike I had was an ex rental and done 60,000 miles+. A good big bike, not beautiful, but purposeful. It doesn't have the build quality of a Honda and as a V-Twin it lacks any soul in my opinion. Best bet is to go and ride everything you can, it will soon become clear what you like. Good luck!

• Like 2

V-strom 650 is the same engine as the SV650.

Nice engine. Rides nice. Nice flat torque.

Same engine is used in the Cagiva Raptor and V Raptor, good engine, Italian design.

Thanks I bought it not knowing what I wanted about 5 years ago now. Never seen another in same coulors. I lost my licence for 1 and a half years and just got it back in March and went to north west 200 in Ireland all good now though.

Thanks I bought it not knowing what I wanted about 5 years ago now. Never seen another in same coulors. I lost my licence for 1 and a half years and just got it back in March and went to north west 200 in Ireland all good now though.

1 and a half years? You musta been shifting? ;) haha.

no lol it was medical related epilepsy.   never had 1 in 16 year then 2 in a week buggered my licence up was gutted at time but it flew over. unfortunately a mate got killed out on a bike with the other lads i go out  whilst i was banned and my wife hates me going out now      :swear:  :swear:

• 4 weeks later...

Did you go to the Armoy Road Races and are you over for the UGP this month (next week)?? 

no lol it was medical related epilepsy.   never had 1 in 16 year then 2 in a week buggered my licence up was gutted at time but it flew over. unfortunately a mate got killed out on a bike with the other lads i go out  whilst i was banned and my wife hates me going out now      :swear:  :swear:

I am not all that aware of epilepsy, can't imagine how I'd handle being taken off the road on medical grounds :o :( . A colleague years ago had a bad car crash one night and woke up in hospital after (assumed fell asleep at wheel, cut out etc), was put on a waiting list for a brain scan as to rule out epilepsy and advised it was a formality in such a case. Then he indeed did turn out to have it, as he had a fit while driving and I was in vehicle some weeks or few months later (the most alarming experience of my life up until that point :o ). Knowing he was now going to loose his licence and being a big petrol head, his way of dealing with it before he was taken off the road officially (I'd imagine 110% against medical advice at this stage to drive), was to hit the M25 in his superchipped Halfords special and redline it in 5th gear and go out in style....................... (he was still rather immature). Requested speed camera picture as he wanted to frame it as a trophy. He lost his job due to it all unfortunately and I haven't heard from or of him since.  

Some handy tips for those new to the biking scene, or taking pillions for the first time :)

(Safe for Work)

http://www.bikerspost.com/videos/1/3910/how-to-ride-bitch

I still have a thing about pillions, I just never ever want one on my bike. 

Now on a Triumph Bonneville SE - and adding a few mods :-)

Happy days, we require photographic evidence though :D You could do a thread for it and show any progress on it with mods too if your up for it.

• Like 1

What's next, what's next???? How did you find the SX in the end? 

I like it. Did Spain last year on my first sat up bike, a FZ6 Fazer. Got the Z1000SX for this year. Loads better, plenty of grunt which I like cos I'm lazy, handles well, easy to ride. Now for next year I'm still pondering. Three of the lads have Ducati Multistradas which they all swear by, but in the past I've never like twins. I quite like the look of the GSX-S1000F. Also like the BMW S1000R but I'd need to add a screen.

• Like 1

I like it. Did Spain last year on my first sat up bike, a FZ6 Fazer. Got the Z1000SX for this year. Loads better, plenty of grunt which I like cos I'm lazy, handles well, easy to ride. Now for next year I'm still pondering. Three of the lads have Ducati Multistradas which they all swear by, but in the past I've never like twins. I quite like the look of the GSX-S1000F. Also like the BMW S1000R but I'd need to add a screen.

S1000XR maybe?

Id have a Multistrada personally.

Infact. I really do want one quite abit aha.