SKODA announces prices for all-new Rapid hatchback

ColinD

• Administrators

• Prices start from just £12,900
  • Three familiar trim levels – S, SE and Elegance
  • Four petrol and one diesel engine available at launch
  • Insurance groups from 7E

post-6-0-36411400-1348735313_thumb.jpg

ŠKODA has revealed UK prices for the eagerly anticipated Rapid hatchback, which will go on sale from 12 November 2012.

The Rapid is the first ŠKODA production car to fully feature the brand’s new design language and provides outstanding space for five passengers and their luggage.

As you would expect from a ŠKODA, Rapid embodies all of the core values for which the brand has become famous – exceptional value for money and engineering excellence with a human touch.

Four petrol and one diesel engine are available under the bonnet of the ŠKODA Rapid from launch, mated to five or six-speed manual transmissions or a seven-speed automatic DSG.

The Rapid offers outstanding value for money and low running costs with CO 2 emissions starting from 114g/km of CO2 (on the 1.6-litre TDI CR 105PS) and insurance ratings starting as low as 7E (for the 1.2-litre 75PS).

With Benefit in Kind (BIK) ratings from only 14%, the ŠKODA Rapid is expected to provide a boost to the brand’s rapidly expanding fleet sales.

On-the-road pricing starts from £12,900 for the Rapid 1.2-litre 75PS in entry level S trim, rising to £17,850 for the Rapid 1.6 TDI CR 105PS in flagship Elegance grade.

Specification

S

• 1.2 75PS £12,900
  • 1.2 TSI 86PS £ 13,700

SE

• 1.2 TSI 86PS £14,650
  • 1.2 TSI 105PS £15,350
  • 1.4 TSI 122PS DSG £17,150
  • 1.6 TDI CR 105PS £17,100

Elegance

• 1.2 TSI 105PS £16,100
  • 1.6 TDI CR 105PS £17,850

The ŠKODA Rapid comes with a high level of standard equipment. Every model gets remote central locking, curtain airbags, daytime running lights, rake/reach-adjustable steering wheel, height-adjustable driver’s seat and electric front windows.

SE trim adds 15-inch alloy wheels, body coloured door mirrors and handles, air-conditioning, Maxi-dot trip computer, MDI (Multi Device Interface), a leather steering wheel and Bluetooth connectivity.

Buyers opting for range-topping Elegance models benefit from 16-inch alloys, cornering front fog lamps, cruise control, height-adjustable passenger seat, rear electric windows, chrome interior detailing and a four spoke multi-functional steering wheel.

The ŠKODA Rapid is the seventh car in the brand’s award-winning range, and will sell alongside the Citigo, Fabia, Octavia, Superb, Roomster and Yeti. Production began last month at the company’s plant in Mladá Boleslav in the Czech Republic.

I don't understand the logic with the engines that have DSG availability! Why can you have a 1.4DSG in SE trim but not in Elegance? No diesel DSG option.

And why no diesel option in basic S trim?

Maybe they have a basic range to keep manufacture simple until they get into the swing!

Unless this is in the VAT free offer, those prices are a joke. The diesel elegance is a full £3k more than the 1.6 TDI octavia elegance and only £500 less than a superb green line 1.6 TDI elegance.

Or put another way, £17k gets you either an Octavia VRS or a 1.4 Fabia Saloon..................

• Like 4

Hmmmmmm, nice looking car but no A/C on a car costing nearly 14 Grand??? That's as bad as paying 11 Grand for a CitiGo with no passenger side electric window switch (yes, the drivers door gets only one window switch) & no one push courtesy function!

I bet the Kia salesmen are looking forward to their Xmas bonuses! :wonder:

Definitely looks pricey to me at first glance.

Still not convinced about the 1.4 being DSG only or the 1.2 on Elegance.

No climate control listed only manual A/C

Phone kit as standard on SE and Elegance.

Love how they list wipers as if it's something extra special fitted for our benefit.

Looks like the Octavia 3 may well be a winner.

Definitely looks pricey to me at first glance.

Still not convinced about the 1.4 being DSG only or the 1.2 on Elegance.

No climate control listed only manual A/C

Phone kit as standard on SE and Elegance.

Love how they list wipers as if it's something extra special fitted for our benefit.

Looks like the Octavia 3 may well be a winner.

I can't see a mention of wipers?

I would expect this to be on VAT-free or at least heavily discounted as compared to the rest of the Skoda range it does seem quite pricey. Having said that though, the new Seat Leon (I know it's on the posher platform) starts at £15,600 and the interior on that looks horrific.

There's a cool "3d visualiser" here for choosing your Rapid wheel and colour options, you get a little driving animation at the end too!: http://new.skoda-aut...els/Rapid/entry

• Like 1

Unless this is in the VAT free offer, those prices are a joke. The diesel elegance is a full £3k more than the 1.6 TDI octavia elegance and only £500 less than a superb green line 1.6 TDI elegance.

Classic pricing strategy. There are always buyers who will pay top dollar for the exclusivity of driving the latest model. The prices will "fall" once that part of the market is saturated.

Meanwhile at the other end of the market there are the bargain hunters who will gladly buy a soon-to-be-superseded model like the Octavia if the price has been discounted enough.

Anything that is fitted because it's required by law (e.g. wipers. daylight running lights, etc.) should not not be listed or implied as if they're giving you something extra. That verges on being dishonest.

Mac

Classic pricing strategy. There are always buyers who will pay top dollar for the exclusivity of driving the latest model. The prices will "fall" once that part of the market is saturated.

Meanwhile at the other end of the market there are the bargain hunters who will gladly buy a soon-to-be-superseded model like the Octavia if the price has been discounted enough.

To right I would rather take a new blackline over the Elegance 105 diesel!!!! no big difference in price at moment lol

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

The Octavia is to be re-sized upwards, making it less of a gap between the Superb.

One could argue how many sizes of car we need, time will tell. One only needs to look at a 1st generation Golf to the current one to see how cars are increasing in size.

One could argue how many sizes of car we need, time will tell. One only needs to look at a 1st generation Golf to the current one to see how cars are increasing in size.

Try telling that to house builders, who still build with poxy garages only fit for an Austin 7 :wonder:

A vRS version of the Rapid is almost certainly on the cards IMHO.

• Like 1

Looks quite nice to me, is there any likely hood of a vRS model?

I spoke to my dealer last week and he said there were no plans for a sport version with the TDi being the most powerful version they will also be withdrawing the Octavia in preparation for a new model as the Rapid is only about 4 inches shorter than the current Octavia !

• 2 weeks later...

I have looked at the prices for base models on Kia cee'd 2 & Hyaundi i30, & the Rapid prices stack up really competitavely, O.K. you might get the better warranty, but the choices of colours & options on the Hyundai is non existant & choice of engines is extremely limited, & the Kia website doesnt appear to have a configurator.

Even compared to the Focus the Rapid is going to be cheaper when you compare the 122ps engines & the specification.

The Octavia is to be re-sized upwards, making it less of a gap between the Superb.

Not to mention in some places people are increasing in size :giggle:

The initial build will be quite limited and I think with the company initially focusing on the likely best selling versions, a lot of car companies tend to release the 'cooking' versions a little while after a new model release so a VRS may be waiting in the wings. Price wise, well IF I was in the market right now for this size of car I'd go for an Octy being a well proven car that also has full independent rear suspension unlike the Rapide that I recall (I maybe wrong here) uses the cheaper to produce twist beam rear end although how much difference that really makes on the road in real driving conditions is debatable. Remember the current Octy will become very limited given the current bargain price with factory options very limited to what has been built.

I have looked at the prices for base models on Kia cee'd 2 & Hyaundi i30, & the Rapid prices stack up really competitavely, O.K. you might get the better warranty, but the choices of colours & options on the Hyundai is non existant & choice of engines is extremely limited, & the Kia website doesnt appear to have a configurator.

Even compared to the Focus the Rapid is going to be cheaper when you compare the 122ps engines & the specification.

maybe they have ignored their own models and concentrated on pricing against the competition, forgetting about overlapping etc. Like porsche did with the Caymen