100 watt bulbs ...yes or no.?

O.C.D.

HI GUYS IM RUNNING WITH H7 55 WATT BULBS IN BOTH MAIN AND FULL BEAM, MY QUESTION IS IF I REPLACED THE 55 WATT BULBS IN THE MAIN BEAM TO 100 WATT H7 WOULD THIS NECESSARILY DOUBLE THE POWER THUS GIVING ME TWICE THE LIGHT, IF SO CAN THE WIRING AND FUSES COPE WITH 100 WATTS. :notme:

Brighter does not necessarily mean consuming more power. The maximum power consumption permitted is 55W in a headlight. Some lamps like the Philips Extreme day +100% brighter but that is because they are more efficient; they still only consume 55W.

Hope that helps.

• Like 1

Brighter does not necessarily mean consuming more power. The maximum power consumption permitted is 55W in a headlight. Some lamps like the Philips Extreme day +100% brighter but that is because they are more efficient; they still only consume 55W.

Hope that helps.

I agree with Rachel, Philips Extreme Vision is the way to go. My Scout has twin headlights, so with all four on(main beam) there wasn't a problem, and lets face it, how often do we have mainbeam on, not very. My headlights on dip however, were absolute sh**e, and putting the Philips in the dips only has made a world of difference. HTH.

HI GUYS IM RUNNING WITH H7 55 WATT BULBS IN BOTH MAIN AND FULL BEAM, MY QUESTION IS IF I REPLACED THE 55 WATT BULBS IN THE MAIN BEAM TO 100 WATT H7 WOULD THIS NECESSARILY DOUBLE THE POWER THUS GIVING ME TWICE THE LIGHT, IF SO CAN THE WIRING AND FUSES COPE WITH 100 WATTS. :notme:

No and no.

You could hunt down a couple of osram 65w, but those are only for off road use.

There's no such thing as a lamp that consumes 35W and "puts out" 100 W.

55W is the amou t of electricity consumed by the lamp. Depending on how efficient it is, it will convert a (surprisingly small) percentage of that energy into light. The light output is measured in lumens, now watts.

The energy that isn't converted to light is converted to heat, by the way...

Anyway, an average stock H7 55W lamp outputs somewhere just a over 100 lumens. A Philips extreme vision, for example, outputs around 2100 lumens. They both use 55W of power to do that, though!

HID lamps tend to be a lot more efficient at converting power to light. As an example, a lot of 35W HID lamps output around 3000 lumens.

As an aside, my off road mountain biking light is LED and outputs 2500 lumens but consumes less than 20W. When will we get LED headlights???

Rachel

In that case they are not bulbs but HID lights.

Subtle but very big difference.

ADD:

Only one manufacturer in Europe has marketed a fully legal E-marked 100w BULB. That was PIAA, and they are almost impossible to buy, and are incredibly expensive. The last H7 I saw was over £50!!

Think 100w bulds would fail an MOT as 55w is the max? the amount of light they put out is a seperate issue. My 55w dips apparently put out 120% more light so will probably blow soon! Bought them as they were buy 1 get 1 free.... must be my feminine side LOL

All I know is I've got Ring H7,55w legal,supposed to be 120% better,but only seem 20% better.

And,yes,I've raised the beam height as high as I can without upsetting oncoming cars.

So,all in all,nul points to Skoda for the vRS headlights.

Hope someone comes up with something better and legal at a reasonable price.

The lights on my Octy (non-HID,standard bulbs) were much better.

100W bulbs in a Fabia will eventually melt the bulb holder and cause the headlamp itself to discolour as its also made of plastic. not to mention the extra strain placed on the wiring loom, battery etc. The wiring is designed for a 55W bulb, so running higher increases the risk of an engine bay fire.

• 6 months later...

There's no such thing as a lamp that consumes 35W and "puts out" 100 W.

55W is the amou t of electricity consumed by the lamp. Depending on how efficient it is, it will convert a (surprisingly small) percentage of that energy into light. The light output is measured in lumens, now watts.

The energy that isn't converted to light is converted to heat, by the way...

Anyway, an average stock H7 55W lamp outputs somewhere just a over 100 lumens. A Philips extreme vision, for example, outputs around 2100 lumens. They both use 55W of power to do that, though!

HID lamps tend to be a lot more efficient at converting power to light. As an example, a lot of 35W HID lamps output around 3000 lumens.

As an aside, my off road mountain biking light is LED and outputs 2500 lumens but consumes less than 20W. When will we get LED headlights???

Rachel

Philips extreme vision should output abit BELOW 2000 lumen, otherwise they would techincally be illegal for most carowners since you need selfleveling lampadjustment and highpressure washers when you pass 2000 lumen.

Your mountaint-bike light btw does not output 2500 lumen with less then 20 w consumed :p.

I guess it got 3 * CREE XML and they got a theoretical max off 3000 lumen...

That is before losses off heat, reflector and lens.

And that is 30 watt that is needed for that, huge difference between 20 and 30 :p.

We're building one off the most efficient lamps in the world with CREE XML-diode at my job.

1 diode, 10 w and 720 lumen output.

Not theoretical lumens ;).

Edited by Confide
  • Like 2