In Car Cameras

SmartCamDirect

LoL drove to work today and while sitting waiting on the bus checked out the footage to make sure it was working.

It was but the picture was pretty poor. Worried for a bit then realised I'd forgotten to take off the clear label protecting the lens. I left it on so I wouldn't touch the lens while fitting :p

I've done more or less the same back in the early days of Mobius mania 

CAMERA%2BFAIL.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Brother was one for his new car, best quality day and night he can get with GPS. Not really interested in cloud stuff. Blackvue look OK but then I've read bitrates are an issue?

I've been looking for an inexpensive dash cam with GPS, has anyone tried the HP f310?

I haven't tried that one, however I went Blackvue was £240 at the time (with GPS/Wifi etc), but I think they do a slightly cheaper one with GPS: - £120 https://www.blackvue.co.uk/index.php/online-shop/new-blackvue-dr450-1ch-detail

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys - Sorry to hijack this thread somewhat, but I need some information on a Mobius Dash Camera. Specifically the choice of lens. I tried lots of searching and a dedicated thread question in "The Technology Shed" forum but got no replies. Having noticed this thread, and followed it for a while I thought I may have more luck here with you guys. Anyway, here goes:

I have BIG birthday coming up and shMbo has offered to buy me a dash cam for our new (waiting for a build date) Yeti.

So, after weeks of research I (we) have decided to buy a Mobius. I wanted something simple [like me] and reliable, and the Mobius seems to fit the bill precisely.  My only problem is which lens to get it with:

1.  Type "A" – The Standard lens or
  2.  Type "C2" – The New wide angle lens.

Having searched here at Briskoda and done several hours of “Googling” I have looked at as much camera footage as I can and it appears to me that the "A" lens – the standard lens -  is a little sharper on detail than the "C2" wide angle. There is of course a night time resolution problem to consider. So, can anyone here, maybe with experience of both lenses, help with comments and advice regarding the pros and cons of each lens please?

I would like to opt for the Super Capacitor as opposed to the battery version of the camera. To avoid buying the battery version of the camera and having to purchase a Super Capacitor to swap out for the battery, does anyone know of a supplier who will supply it with the capacitor instead of the battery? Ideally, I am looking to purchase it from a UK supplier. Any recommendations?

Grateful thanks, as always, for any help you can give me........................Tony

• 2 weeks later...

Personally I would go with the wide angle lense as I think the trade-off between slightly lower resolution is worth the extra FOV

Updown789: Thank you for your reply. It was really good of you to take the time and is very much appreciated!

I am just about to place an order with Amazon @ £55.95 (LINK) inc. postage for the Standard or "A" lens version. I note what you are saying re the FOV (Field of View), but having now observed video footage from both the standard [A] and wide angle [C2] lenses, have concluded that with the overall clarity of the "A" lens and the distortion of the "C2" lens around the sides of the image. The way to go, for me anyway, is the standard lens.

Just in case it may help others in their quest for a Mobius. Both versions ( "A" or "C2" lens) are the same price from Amazon and I did confirm with Amazon (SpyTechInc) that they are offering the latest camera version. Version "V3" that has the up-rated 820ma battery and has the additional over-voltage protection circuit on board, and up-rated R.F.I (radio interference) protection built into the case. Having checked with some of the other "official" sellers / importers find that some, are not!

They still are selling, and I quote from a customer service email: 

"Hi Tony, Thank you for contacting us regarding your product concern. I see that you are interested with the Mobius ActionCam 1080p HD Video Camera Set With Live Video Out. This is still version 1, with 520mah battery, "A" type lens." And this was from one of the two main international [inc. UK] re-sellers!

I find that amazing, as the new V3 PCB was introduced in October 2014! - A V1 and not even V2! Thank goodness I did my research and checked!

As regards the Super Capacitor. It looks like I will need to source one and fit it myself. No Problem, but I suppose I shall wait until the warranty expires before I open the camera up to replace the battery. No one seems to offer the camera with the S. C. fitted as standard. Pity...

Anyway, many thanks again for your input. It did make me stop and think, again! Regards..............Tony

I've been looking for an inexpensive dash cam with GPS, has anyone tried the HP f310?

I've the Transcend 220 which has GPS and wifi. Been pretty faultless so far. Might not be in your ballpark of 'inexpensive'.

I picked it up for about £80/90 on an offer.

• 2 months later...

I picked up the Blackvue DR450 from Halfords last week. I swapped it for my faulty Nextbase 402G which I used to have in my old car (the battery in the 402G is rubbish and it will last you at best, 12 months although the footage is great) . The Nextbase fitted perfectly in my old Astra Sports Hatch but it just looked awkward and too low down on the Octavia so when I had the free replacement from Halfords I asked if I could swap it for the Blackvue. The only downside is I need to find a hard wire kit as plugging it in and taking it out every time is a bit rubbish :( As you can see from the pictures it's pretty inconspicuous and stays nicely up and out of view. From outside it's barely visible :)  . The barrel shape is great as you can angle it to get the perfect view. I'll try to upload some footage to YouTube of day and night so you can get an idea of what it's like.  

[/url]Dash cam by antmotton, on Flickr">http://30344163961_cf5f7f91be_k.jpgDash cam by antmotton, on Flickr

29798781573_36856399e0_k.jpgDash cam by antmotton, on Flickr

The Nextbase 402g has failed again and been refunded. Instead of going for another dash cam I bought a Garmin DriveAssist 50lmt-d that has a built in dash cam. After all the messing about with the Nextbase this is pure joy to use. Yes, it cost me another £70 on top of what I was refunded but it's simple to work, video quality is better too and voice control sat nav with added features like collision detection, lane warning and changing to dash cam view with a big sodding arrow showing you where your destination is as you approach it.

Only problem is the wife wants one now and the wireless reversing camera that connects to it.

• 4 weeks later...

Amazon has just replaced my BlackVue DR750LW kit, at about 14 months old.
The touch screen develops a recognised fault where the soft touchscreen buttons don't line up and it's impossible to recalibrate.

Very pleased with Amazon: I was expecting an RMA-type repair.

The new unit is excellent.

• 4 months later...

I've got a £15 online thingy and TBH- it's ( at the price) not too bad. it will show me a numberplate at normal following distance ,and on screen it show up stuff well ( according to Swimbo ). I've got it mounted where tax disc was placed.

• 4 months later...

I have used a few cheap ones and then found the Aldi special on sale a few months back. The video quality on that one is excellent. Has many bells and whistles that other cheap ones don't have, including land and hazard warnings, auto on and off (unless your car lighter point is always on :(  ) left it on many nights, does not drain battery.

• 9 months later...

I bought the Nextbase 312GW GPS Wi-Fi  a few days ago to replace a no name one (which will be used for rear facing dashcam , the quality is really good in all weather conditions & I really like the 'Replay 3' editing software that came with it. took it out t'other day to try out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQ_2FAtb2so

Looking to get a 2 channel dash cam for gf's new car and it seems the market has utterly exploded since I got mine a few years back. Amazon is stuffed with huge numbers of models, all proffering countless benefits and displaying oodles of "genuine" reviews!

Looks like one of the top dogs at the moment is the BlackVue 900s but it comes with a pretty hefty price tag to match so i was wondering what cheaper options there may be that don't sacrifice too much image quality. Features I'm after are:

- 2 channel

- HD (or above...i.e. good enough to read number plates)

- decent night view

- buffering parking mode

- GPS built it

No specific budget in mind but I'm trying to find something that is noticeably less than the £500 that the DR900s seems to be.

Anyone got the DR750s? I know it has all the above features but I've read some reviews that say the vid is a bit soft when it comes to detail...? Any other options?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Macdemon said:

Thinkware F770 with rear cam BOTH 1080p supplied and fitted £329.99

Www.towbex.co.uk 

446433EC-B684-48BD-9B15-096EFE3767A2.jpeg

I have the same set up and really can't fault it, loads better than the Blackvue one they replaced. I'd recommend a polarising filter - I got one from eBay.

I got my Thinkware F770 from Sepsa and paid around £240 this time last year.

We also have a Yi dash cam which cost about £40 on Amazon. This is outstanding for the money and I'd say is on par with the Blackvue during the day but better at night, anyone looking for a cheap cam I'd highly recommend one.

• 3 months later...
On 29/05/2018 at 18:07, lancpudn said:

I bought the Nextbase 312GW GPS Wi-Fi  a few days ago to replace a no name one (which will be used for rear facing dashcam , the quality is really good in all weather conditions & I really like the 'Replay 3' editing software that came with it. took it out t'other day to try out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQ_2FAtb2so

I just got 1 of those I must say I really  like it

• 3 years later...

TAM- I've got a 312G  fitted up front. I've also got a "no name" one, I'm thinking of fitting in the rear window, after a reply from our Police team ,that "perhaps " I need a rear dashcam to detect tailgaters at 20 in a 20 limit. But I'd sudpect that I'd need the addition of a flashing light in rear window to wake this lot up. ( something big and blue perhaps)

• 1 year later...

Virtually since I've driven this car, I had a "Apeman C420D" dashcam, its some generic cam; You look on amazon and there's thousands of identical cameras under different brands. I'll be blunt, it's a pain in the backside to use, and a new problem decided to rear its head that requires a firmware update.

However who written the instruction manual may not of had English as a first language, and I wish to share this with you all.

image.png.7254a5d82f2e5631ce4b7298edaaa314.png

Interesting how 'TF Card' first search result was "What is a TF Card". In temu. Its just an outdated SD card.

image.thumb.png.9c0ba09a182f96b115eed29f48aeeb00.png

They were more than happy to help my on my first call, second time they were a little disgruntled.

image.png.820617eb8600f73d224be45b8a42a34c.png

But I don't want to be waited. I feel threatened.

image.png.2671845388b20717a7184ed2b70e39a0.png

If this fails again, yes I will. Via a brick. Through the head office windows.

Now to keep on topic. Don't buy it, there are matching ones that sell for a 1/3 of the price and its wee bit rubbish for anything more than recording oddities of the road.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...