Trolley Jack and Jacking Points ?

CmB

Hi All,

Having just recently fitted front and rear mud flaps to my Blackline, and in the process having to remove the wheels, i now feel the need to regularly remove my wheels to ensure they are cleaned properly. I used the standard jack (or widow maker i believe its also called) and realise it probably would be easier and safer to use a trolley jack.

There seems to have been a lot of discussions in the past about where is the best place to actually jack an Octy up. I know it is possible to fit some VW jacking points to the car but i would rather not risk invalidating my warranty by fitting non Skoda approved parts.

Can anyone say for certain whether you should be jacking an Octy up on the seam that is under the sill (official Skoda jacking point) via the "puck with a groove" method or is there a better way?

Also, can anyone recommend a trolley jack that is good quality and is going to last (no more than £150 though...i aint Bill Gates you know).

Lastly i found these on another thread http://www.jackpointjackstands.com , any idea if they are good or not??

I regularly use a hockey puck with a groove cut in it. No damage caused whatsoever.

I bought a 2 tonne trolley jack from my local Aldi for under £20. If you are only an occasional user, they are great. 3 year guarantee too. 

Costco did a 3t garage jack for about £80. Very wide lifting head. Excellent kit.

Ask Devonutopia about this Costco jack, I took one to Bedford and he used it, thought it was a great jack, made of alloy so it is light and has a low design for going under low cars but has a high lift.

Here is my JACK it has a big pad that is very soft so good for sill jacking.

Another vote for the rubber pad on emergency jack, points.

Mines an EBay special. Hockey puck which I cut an offset slot in it and shaped to suit the sill profile.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

I've got to say that the link in the original post for those jack stands look like a brilliant idea. Its often one thing jacking the car up, but finding where is a safe spot for axle stands in another. That bit of kit sorts both problems in one go....genius.

jacking points.....

jack-points_zps2e51aa7b.jpg

Doesn't the big WARNING sticker on the right suspension arm specifically say do not jack here?

Don't use that photo because the sticker on the rear drivers side suspension arm says this

2013-02-13092043_zps292f8300.jpg

2013-02-13092112_zpsba31255b.jpg

They mean the standard one you get with the car. It has a natural cup designed to fit the sill so it'll only damage it if it collapses... which they have been known to do as they're not super strong and unlike a trolley jack, probably designed for infrequent use, hence Widowmaker.

• Like 1

Thanks All.

I ended up buying a Clarke trolley jack from Machine Mart. I have also ordered a few versions of the "puck with a groove" off of eBay. The plate on the jack is 10cm across and the only sellers that had 10cm rubber blocks were from Germany which seemed a bit odd. Hopefully once they arrive it will be no more worrying about jacking up the car !!

Edited by CmB
  • Like 1

So just out of interest for those that have jacked, if working on the rear where would you put an axle stand for extra safety?

The stands in the link do look good, and if they really do work for the sake of safety are not really that expensive.

After all if the jack slips how much will that cost to fix etc

Worth noting that a sill WILL NOT take the weight of a trolley jack without the puck or something similar!! I sort of knew about this from previous threads on here, but when I took my motor to get 4 new tyres I watched like a hawk where he was putting the trolley jack and when it was on the sill I thought it might go so said to be careful and straight away it started bending it.

Luckily, I was perfectly aware so just asked them for a hammer for a slight tap, pair of pliers and a bit of underseal and everyone was happy, but the less knowledgable would never know until it was too late!

So just out of interest for those that have jacked, if working on the rear where would you put an axle stand for extra safety?

The stands in the link do look good, and if they really do work for the sake of safety are not really that expensive.

After all if the jack slips how much will that cost to fix etc

If you have a proper jack (Not a toy from Argos or the RAC kit) you can jack on the suspension arm mounting point in the centre, to lift both wheels off the ground. Place the axle stands on the jacking points.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 2

• 4 months later...

If you have a proper jack (Not a toy from Argos or the RAC kit) you can jack on the suspension arm mounting point in the centre, to lift both wheels off the ground. Place the axle stands on the jacking points.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 2

The jacking points are where they put the rubber lifters when at the garage so the back is  bf the sill just before the wheel arch where there is a flat area? If not can you try and explain to a dumb ass where the rear jack point is please for the axle stands. I get where you mean for lifting the entire rear end?

I use a trolley jack , but use it on the floorpan behind the sill not it the sill itself. I do this as if you look at the standard jack (the windowmaker referred in prevoius posts) the weight is carried by the pad behind the cill. As far as I can make out the notch in the jack merely positions the jack on the cill and prevents slipping.