Retrofitting Cruise Control

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Had cruise retrofitted Last week & they used the same stalks as Mikebham stalks pictured in his posts! I have to agree with Mikebham that the new stalks do feel different to the touch compared to the original non cc stalks, actually the new stalks with trip & cc feel a lot better to use, also it's not just VCDS that codes the cc as you get a SD card with the cc stalk which I believe the dealer has to use online in-order to activate the cc to your car!

Overall I'm happy regardless of the stalks being different to the original non cc stalks, I wanted cc & now I have it ;) at least my right foot gets a nice rest on the motorway journeys now :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Had CC retro-fitted to my 2013 vRS last week, £210 inc VAT. Also have stalks with a non-functioning and unnecessary trip computer control, as there doesn't appear to be an option for cars with a MFSW. I'm wondering if the part for cars with no trip computer would actually have been the correct one, or would that impact on the MFSW? Dealer said they'd change it FOC if there was a different part without the extra switch that would still work with the MFSW.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Quick question regarding retrofitting cruise control to a mk3 Octavia vRS. 

I know the stalk and activation code are available from Skoda, however is this something only a dealer can code to the car or can anyone with VCDS code it in? 

Contrary to threads on here my 2 local Skoda main dealers are saying it's not possible to retrofit it on my 2013 vRS estate as I have a mfsw so looking into the option of getting it done elsewhere.

1 minute ago, James@Pentagon_Seat said:

Vcds cannot complete the coding alone, you need the Odis dealer tool.

There are some incompatible steering controllers and column brackets that do not allow for the new stalks to be fitted. 

Balls. 

Is there a way to check if the stalks can be fitted to mine at all, or will that be why my local dealer is saying its not possible having checked with Skoda? 

The car is a Dec 2013 petrol vRS estate if thats of any help. 

Thanks

The incompatible parts were fitted to later vehicles (2015>), my guess would be they have very little idea of what they are doing so they are trying to dodge the job. 

Chances are that if a retro fit kit is available for your VIN then it can indeed have CC fitted. 

9 minutes ago, James@Pentagon_Seat said:

The incompatible parts were fitted to later vehicles (2015>), my guess would be they have very little idea of what they are doing so they are trying to dodge the job. 

Chances are that if a retro fit kit is available for your VIN then it can indeed have CC fitted. 

The first dealership I went to stated flat out that a retrofit kit wasn't available without getting any info about the car off me other than it being a 2013 vrs estate. The 2nd I went to were more helpful, parts guy brought up the kits on his system but said he'd contact Skoda to confirm the kit would fit mine (I asked for the one without the trip button on the right hand side wiper stalk). I got a phone call the next day saying Skoda said due to me having a MFSW that the kit wasn't suitable. 

Should I take their word and be resigned to not getting CC installed or is there a way around it or a dealer I can contact who have retrofitted the kits and know what they're talking about? Would much prefer to get it installed with the proper stalks than some aftermarket kit. 

Thanks

Edited by dale1uk

2 minutes ago, James@Pentagon_Seat said:

The fact it has a MFSW is irrelevant, you just order the kit "without trip computer".

where are you located?

That's what I thought and had read on here, but the dealers/Skoda/computer says no..

Located in Newcastle upon Tyne but would be willing to travel to get it done properly

Edited by dale1uk

Just had my 2014 Vrs over a month, before I picked it up I had the dealer retro-fit CC. The right hand stalk has the non-functioning  trip computer button at the end, not an issue for me as I have MFSW. I had CC in the Mk2 Elegance I had prior to the VRS so did not want to not have it.

7 hours ago, StephenVRS said:

Just had my 2014 Vrs over a month, before I picked it up I had the dealer retro-fit CC. The right hand stalk has the non-functioning  trip computer button at the end, not an issue for me as I have MFSW. I had CC in the Mk2 Elegance I had prior to the VRS so did not want to not have it.

What dealership was it that done the work, and if you don't mind saying, what did they charge you for the retrofit? 

Thanks 

Hi dale1uk

Sorry I have not replied sooner, been out and about this weekend enjoying the weather (Sunday) driving :-) and then cycling in the Peak District.

Lovely day, and the cycle trail was almost empty at 9:30am.

The dealership is in South East Cheshire, but as I have friends in Alnwick (bit further North than you) but still about 200 miles for you to drive?, I suspect it would not be a trip you would want to undertake without being sure they could do the work.

I would have thought there must be a dealership near to you that can do it?

My car was 2014 model, I think yours is earlier? Perhaps that is significant?

I would not want you to take such a long trip in the off chance!

Not sure if the forum rules allow mentioning companies, so if you really want the ddealer details PM me (I assume you can even though I am a newbie?)  and I will advise further.

The cost was about 350 Inc vat. That is a wee bit more than some others have quoted I think? But I paid something similar about 15 years ago to have CC added to a Volvo, and as I intend to keep the car for a good number of years all being well :-) it is worth it for me.

The only thing the VRS was missing was CC, so it was worth it for me.

14 hours ago, StephenVRS said:

Hi dale1uk

Sorry I have not replied sooner, been out and about this weekend enjoying the weather (Sunday) driving :-) and then cycling in the Peak District.

Lovely day, and the cycle trail was almost empty at 9:30am.

The dealership is in South East Cheshire, but as I have friends in Alnwick (bit further North than you) but still about 200 miles for you to drive?, I suspect it would not be a trip you would want to undertake without being sure they could do the work.

I would have thought there must be a dealership near to you that can do it?

My car was 2014 model, I think yours is earlier? Perhaps that is significant?

I would not want you to take such a long trip in the off chance!

Not sure if the forum rules allow mentioning companies, so if you really want the ddealer details PM me (I assume you can even though I am a newbie?)  and I will advise further.

The cost was about 350 Inc vat. That is a wee bit more than some others have quoted I think? But I paid something similar about 15 years ago to have CC added to a Volvo, and as I intend to keep the car for a good number of years all being well :-) it is worth it for me.

The only thing the VRS was missing was CC, so it was worth it for me.

Thanks for the reply. As with you the only other option I wanted that my vRS is missing is CC. 

If need be I'm more than happy to drive to a dealer that's prepared to take on the work, but at the minute I just want to talk to one that has fitted it in order to get some extra info before I go back to my local ones. 

I'll drop you a PM 

• 6 months later...

has it been confirmed then that it is a dealer only fit for the coding? just checking as looking at a VRS today and the one main thing that is missing is cruise annoyingly.

1 hour ago, M7R said:

has it been confirmed then that it is a dealer only fit for the coding? just checking as looking at a VRS today and the one main thing that is missing is cruise annoyingly.

Its not just a dealer fit but its more to do with the Skoda SD card that comes with the CC in-order for this to be programmed or activated to your vehicle by the dealer via online, it's not just VCDS that codes the cc as you get a SD card with the cc stalk which I believe the dealer has to use online in-order to activate the cc to your car!

CC retro-fitted can cost between £210.00 - £300.00 + vat depending on dealers, as per costs posted via this thread.

Looks like I might just have to bite the bullet and get the dealer to do it then, annoying as I normally do all the retrofits my self,

I'm only talking from dealings with my vRS for when I had CC fitted, I was just checking this thread out:

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/432571-phillips-mk3-octavia-vrs-oem/

If you scroll down to 3/4 of the page there is some info about CC, maybe you can PM them & ask a few questions etc.

But good luck & I'm sure which route you take to have the CC fitted you'll be happy once its done :thumbup: