We've started having tinker with the 2.0TDI 184PS

Anyway enjoy your Saturday, I'm off to sort the kids and Xmas decorations :)

And you, Andrew. I'm off for a nice drive in the glorious winter sunshine through the West Sussex countryside in the aforementioned sports car to spend the weekend with my mother-in-law, which is always good fun as she has a great sense of humour.

Edited by Timoctav

And you, Andrew. I'm off for a nice drive in the glorious winter sunshine through the West Sussex countryside in the aforementioned sports car to spend the weekend with my mother-in-law, which is always good fun as she has a great sense of humour.

Don't tease me , and I'm referring to your car not the mother in law ;)

Edited by Andrew@DTUK
  • Like 2

Is it so hard to stay on topic?

Isnt everything about tuning already said?

Altering the car to something the factory didnt build, will always void waranty. Why should a manufacturer give you waranty over something he didnt make?

And for the boxes, I already wrote that the newer VAG cars will not so easily be tuned by mapping. Tuners wont be able to get into the ECU anymore.

So all is left are the boxes. Many well known tuners in Germany are already changing to boxes (ABT, MTM, Wetterauer. To name a few).

• Like 3

The purpose of this thread is to talk about the specific subject of tuning the 2.0 184ps engine.

Surely the purpose of this thread is to talk about the specific subject of tuning the 2.0 184ps engine using products from DTUK.....

Out and out advertising....and in my opinion reserved for the section of the forum reserved for sponsors....

Sorry, but I raised this on the other thread that was locked. If I want to read adverts I'll look in the appropriate place for them. If I want a balanced discussion amongst forum members (and not involving those with financial motives) then I thought I could have that on BRISKODA, sadly it appears not...

I have no issues with Andrew's products just don't like the direction this forum is going in...

Surely the purpose of this thread is to talk about the specific subject of tuning the 2.0 184ps engine using products from DTUK.....

Out and out advertising....and in my opinion reserved for the section of the forum reserved for sponsors....

Sorry, but I raised this on the other thread that was locked. If I want to read adverts I'll look in the appropriate place for them. If I want a balanced discussion amongst forum members (and not involving those with financial motives) then I thought I could have that on BRISKODA, sadly it appears not...

I have no issues with Andrew's products just don't like the direction this forum is going in...

Can you please explain how else I can communicate to members who are actually interested in what we are doing?

As was said in the last thread, no one is forcing you to read the thread, simply ignore it if it's winding you up that much

Edited by Andrew@DTUK
  • Like 3

If theres a program on the tv you don't like, TURN OVER!!

Fair point. Although if all the content on the TV was advertising I'd get rid of the TV...

If every sponsor on this forum started their own similar thread then what would be the point of the forum...

I'm sure I'm not the only person with this viewpoint. As suggested I won't add any more to the thread as it will waste my time and yours. Let's hope we don't end up with only sponsor based threads on Briskoda...

Can you please explain how else I can communicate to members who are actually interested in what we are doing? As was said in the last thread, no one is forcing you to read the thread, simply ignore it if it's winding you up that much

Use paid for advertising....?

Lad's if it was just a remapping service we where talking about, it might be a little much but with these new VW diesel engines, this is the only way to tune them at the moment and I for one am very interested in these threads. I might be getting a car with the 150hp diesel in February and this is all information I would have to seek out because I am one of the ones who will be tuning my car, regardless of warranty issues!!

There are a lot of members viewing and participating in these threads and there are only 2 or 3 complaining. I am sure that if the Mods have an issue, they will nip it in the bud.

Peace.

Lad's if it was just a remapping service we where talking about, it might be a little much but with these new VW diesel engines, this is the only way to tune them at the moment and I for one am very interested in these threads. I might be getting a car with the 150hp diesel in February and this is all information I would have to seek out because I am one of the ones who will be tuning my car, regardless of warranty issues!!

There are a lot of members viewing and participating in these threads and there are only 2 or 3 complaining. I am sure that if the Mods have an issue, they will nip it in the bud.

Peace.

10-4 good buddy, well said

• Like 1

I'm sure there are plenty if other threads on here regarding the pros and cons of remapping or tuning in general. The purpose of this thread is to talk about the specific subject of tuning the 2.0 184ps engine.

If you want to talk about remapping or dpf removal (we aren't involved in either) then again I'm sure there are threads on here that cover both subject matters.

If you have a genuine interest I'm tuning your 2.0. 184ps then please feel free to contribute to the thread.

I think this is a very good statement. Fairs fair this thread is not trying to be a debate on map vs box.

This info may be of use to some people so best leave it to a valid and constructive discussion

Could I just comment on warranty issues.

Best mate at work bought a Mazda 3 for his Mrs., wiper motor failed while still under warranty. Dealer said, a new wiper motor will be £200/£300 (ish) Mate said, but it is still under warranty, dealership said, warranty invaladited, servicing not per Mazda schedule. (it was actually, but an administrative ****-up)

So because the engine oil was not changed, an electrical component was affected "because they had invalidated the warranty"

An absolute condition.

So the idead that tinkering with suspension components will only affect warranty on suspension components is balderdash.

From someone with more than a little experience with Skoda warranty works.

regards

Marcus

PS

I too would rather have free debate, rather than a sponsor influenced or censored forum.

I like to see threads like this to see how these things are developed and what is possible to do on these cars. The manufacturers always dial in a bit of redundant power to their tune for all sorts of reasons and remaps and boxes just liberate that. I personally have no problem with that at all.

Yes, the warranty will very likely be at risk, but that is down to individual's choice. You always get the anti tuning or modding lobby on every forum, but I think being open to possibilities is genuinely interesting and relevant.

• Like 3

Nothing major  to report at present, other than the fact that I've added a pedal box to the car this week and if I'm honest its made the car a lot quicker, but in the damp it was bordering on being undriveable..

I've since turned the box down to zero, and set the pedal box to its lowest setting and it makes it entertaining to say the least but you do need to keep a tight rein over your right foot.

Overall though without the pedal box installed the car is running like a dream and iim really glad i chose the octavia over the Leon

• Like 1

It's highly unlikely that I'll be in the situation to be needing one of Andrew's boxes (if I get a vRS, it'll be a company car and there is a clause that prevents any performance modification - but not an economy one...***) but I'd like to thank Andrew for sharing his experiences.  He's not doing anything underhand in my opinion, he's paying his dues as a declared sponsor and even sharing test results (good and bad) - and that not every "map" isn't really suitable for everyday driving.  Some less honourable tuners might just come out with "it's wonderful - buy it" blurb.  At least he's up front and if I was in his shoes and sponsoring a forum, I'd like to be able to maximise that coverage - and opening a discussion (not a slanging match, please) is one way.  To my mind, it helps any prospective client gain an understanding of the pros and cons leaving them to make their own decision.

As for warranty - I'm happy to be corrected as I've not read the T&C's of the SUK warranty in detail but pretty sure that a tuning box wouldn't affect a warranty claim for a wiper motor.  If the confirmed fitment of a tuning box was considered in the (for example) case of a gearbox failure where it could be a contributory factor, then it would be a fine line between any legal obligations and ones moral grounding (remove it before warranty work was requested, etc).  As before, it's the individual decision of the owner in question.

*** Read an AutoExpress article this morning about another company's "economy" box that seems in a similar vein - yes, you also got a performance boost although the improved efficiency (which could be used for greater performance) was its selling point - and was proven in their testing criteria, gaining something like 10% in their particular test.

A refreshing objective response... I couldn't agree more.

Excellent bits of kit for those that want to tune their cars, arent particularly paranoid about warranty invalidation and favour a considerably less invasive means of getting more power. There is still something that doesnt sit too well with me in having an ECU unit cut open in order to remap it, I know done well in most cases its no problem but this does away with that entirely.

the only criticism Id possibly level at tuning boxes are that £400+ seems alot of money to pay for the hardware you get but of course really youre paying for what the product does and all the hard work and development that goes into the map development which keeps the likes of Andrew v busy day to day I am sure.

• Like 3

+1 on the above, though not sure about the price comments as a remap on an encrypted vag car is around 500 notes and in both cases your paying for the software and development costs. There will always be people who prefer remaps and theres nothing wrong with that, where as others will prefer a tuning box, as its none intrusive and totally reversible.

You pays your money.....similar to the vRS cr vs tsi situation!

• Like 1

I need to ask..... I've used first generation tuning boxes before (load of rubbish) and have had 5 cars mapped by 2 different companies (fantastic results).

Regarding the current generation tuning box, it obviously increases fuelling but how does it also increase turbo pressure, ECU mapping does this as it needs to maintain the air/fuel ratio. How does the box manage it?