Has anyone with this problem actually experienced another car that doesn't have the problem? The reason I ask is that I have regularly driven 3 of these cars and not noticed this sound on any. Either there has to be something different with the faulty ones or they are all the same and certain people are more sensitive? 

Edited by Leonblue

I test drove two Octavias early last year. One had a noise problem and the other didn't. Fortunately my car was fine when it arrived, but I do sometimes get some hints at boominess over bumps.

• Like 1

I have been driving an old 2003 Toyota Echo around for the last few weeks and only occasionally using the 2013 Octavia estate 1.4tsi, but when I have I notice there is a slight boom and pressure problem on bumps at any speed.

I'd never noticed it before so was not sure if it had just developed or the fact I had got used to it when driving the Octavia regularly.

When I gave the Octavia a wash I thought the tyres on the 17 inch wheels looked a bit low so popped into the petrol station to refill the tank and tyres.

I was really surprised to find they were running at 27psi all round, sure it was while since I checked them but I'm not sure how they had all got to that state.

After I inflated them to 35 psi the car felt entirely different and more responsive, as you would expect, but the real surprise was the newly apparent booming/pressure problem disappeared.

I can think of no logical answer to what I have just experienced.

When under inflated the ride was soft and doughy, more compliant and yet that was when the problem was apparent.

I have to say the effect was quite subtle and for me only mildly annoying, and difficult to describe as it was not really an audible boom but something like a sub-woofer at low volume could produce at the low threshold of my hearing.

My tyre gauge confirms the station's pressure is correct at 35psi

Edited by Gerrycan

Next Try....

Next Thursday i have a new Date with the Dealer. I get new shock absorber with Number 5q0513049FF. Also the shock absorber bearing will be change. It takes 6 Mails from Dealer to Skoda until they agree to change without cost. First Skoda agree only 70% of Material Cost.

If that will not fix the noise i place the Car at the dealer until the fix it. I take another car of my company, so they will have time enough.

• Like 1

I test drove two Octavias early last year. One had a noise problem and the other didn't. Fortunately my car was fine when it arrived, but I do sometimes get some hints at boominess over bumps.

And it was when I searched for information on the issue, trying to find out if it was a common problem before ordering the car, that I first came across this site, when I found this very thread.

This road test finally acknowledges the boom:

http://www.whatcar.com/skoda/octavia/hatchback/review/on-the-road/

Refinement rating-4.png 2.0 TDI is quite gruff but others are acceptable

The Octavia’s petrol engines are smooth and quiet. The diesels, on the other hand, are a little noisy compared with the same engines in the VW Golf, and you feel more vibration through the pedals.

There’s also more suspension noise (noticeable in the cabin as a deep, resonant boom in the background over town roads) than in most other cars in the class. There’s some wind noise on the motorway, too, but road noise is well suppressed and the gearchange is slick and accurate.

• Like 2

I had the 'classic' boom/pressure effect on my two week old vRS230, quickly reported to dealer and they have now checked it and referred it to Skoda Technical for advice. In the meantime I'm sure it's got a bit better over 800 miles. I've now installed the double sided mat that should have come with the car when ordered and that has made a huge difference and it's now at an acceptable level. I'll see what Skoda say anyway and I might even buy another of the boot mats (non-reversible) and put that under the other one for double dampening (relatively cheap at £35 and sell-able if it doesn't make any difference). I also installed the storage shelf 5E5061109 (a really useful device) and this might help break up the standing waves from inside the boot. NOW to enjoy the beast!

• Like 1

I've had something like this, but only when I was listening to an F1 podcast - every time they interviewed a driver it happened so I assumed it was something to do with the frequency of the background noise being played.  Haven't noticed it any other time

• 4 weeks later...

I've had something like this, but only when I was listening to an F1 podcast - every time they interviewed a driver it happened so I assumed it was something to do with the frequency of the background noise being played. Haven't noticed it any other time

i did some tests and it seems that in case of the estate cabin, there is resonance at 36Hz, the car is prone to resonate at this frequency. It can be initiated by engine in low speed or by bootlid....

• 1 month later...

Don't know  if someone's posted this in here already, so apologies if it's been done, but I can't be bothered reading through all 939 posts to see :no: . 

It was having it's 6-monthly *cough-never been done before ever, won't be doing it every 6 months either-cough* interior detail; and I happened to notice that when you tap on the metal of the boot floor, with the floor removed and everything out except the spare wheel, it sounds horrendously loud, deep and hollow. Much like the kind of thing people have described on here.

Now I haven't ever suffered as much as some people on here say they have (maybe it's my ears? Maybe I just have never noticed because I've become accustomed to it?), but I have from time to time experienced a little booming-type noise when going over rough surfaces. Much to my irritation.

I have also noticed that in every Octavia that I've been in at work, there has been no booming noise/resonance of any sort. In fact they're very quiet indeed, much more so than my vRS. The only reason I can think of (except they are the 16" wheels, so obviously higher profile tyres, but that won't stop wind noise or panel resonance much) is that they are loaded floor to roof with gear in the boot, and not far off the same on the rear seats; thus adding mass to absorb and/or block sounds and vibrations. 

As soon as I can afford it i'm going to start adding some quality sound deadening/blocking materials to the boot floor and rear wheel arches, see if that makes a difference. If it does work I might start on the doors and then possibly the floor too... 

TL;DR - Have a little booming, noticed bare boot floor booms and sounds hollow when you tap it, going to add sound deadening eventually. 

Don't know  if someone's posted this in here already, so apologies if it's been done, but I can't be bothered reading through all 939 posts to see :no: . 

Yes, it has - many, many times!

:D

Plenty of posts on whether Dynamat or equivalent sound-poofing/mass-loading lined on boot floor and/or under rear seats makes any difference or not. Some swear buy it, some got no benefit.

Mass in the boot does seems to help, as does a spare wheel in the wheel well which acts as a big drum otherwise. I will be Dynamatting mine when I can be bothered.

if I remember i'll try and get before/after recordings if I can and post the result :)

For me, it is not the actual volume/Db which is the problem - more the frequency/tone. If I can tame the sub-base rumble to and take the resonance out I will be fine!

Changed Contis for Cross Climates last week and miles better in terms of noise and comfort, seem like great tyres, similar to Goodyear Efficient Grips I ran on a Focus but with better winter performance apparently. Want to get the boot of my estate sound deadened now. Does anyone have any idea how much an audio installer would charge to do this for me? I'm pretty cack handed and short on time so happy to spend a bit more for someone to do it for me. Edinburgh area if that makes a difference?

• Like 1

Mine had booming and pulsing of pressure when I bought it. I've tightened boot lid tightly to prevent movement, silent coated and put isolator foam in the boot well (no wheel) and have a double layered boot mat and made sure tyres were correct pressure (really under inflated from dealer). I can't now hear the booming and car so much quieter. Its well worth damping and isolating the boot well for the £80 it cost and hour of putting in terms of noise reduction. I definitely feel its the boot well that is the biggest culprit.

Edited by ima
  • Like 1

Mine had booming and pulsing of pressure when I bought it. I've tightened boot lid tightly to prevent movement, silent coated and put isolator foam in the boot well (no wheel) and have a double layered boot mat and made sure tyres were correct pressure (really under inflated from dealer). I can't now hear the booming and car so much quieter. Its well worth damping and isolating the boot well for the £80 it cost and hour of putting in terms of noise reduction. I definitely feel its the boot well that is the biggest culprit.

I still haven't got round to Dynamating my boot floor and wheel well yet! Every time I go to do so, I deceide that I don't really feel like spending the NZ$200 this month and it can wait...it doesn't bother me that much. Then It starts to bother me and the cycle starts again!

I am starting to see a confidence-inspiring number of reports confirming that it is worth doing and I won't be wasting my money...I just really wish I could demo both the sound-deadening and the replacement tyres (Goodyear AS) to confirm that they really make the difference that I am hoping they will!

I have not noticed this problem until today, driving to work the road surface was corrugated, also I had virtually no fuel in the tank, so I dont know if the problem is related to the resonant frequency of the suspension with no weight over the back wheels. After all it is an estate.

I have fitted silent coat, and adjusted the tail gate, and now I'm getting booming when previously it was predominantly tyre roar.

Does any one know if there is a definite answer to this. This is really poor, and am now contemplating getting rid as it's the final straw.

Edited by Alpha2110

Looking at the car tonight I think the problem is with the back seat. By hitting the middle head rest recreates the problem, the back support is vibrating and making contact with the flap on the boot screen,. This is causing exactly the problem I am experiencing.

I think the rear seat back support needs to be stiffened up as the ski hatch makes it flimsy. Causing it to move.

I have a idea I will try tomorrow connecting a ratchet strap to the boot d ring to the middle head rest then tighten it up. Not to tight and see if it helps.

• Like 1

Today I used a small ratchet strap from the boot d ring to the rear seat attachment points, I think there for baby seats,. I also lifted the plastic boot cover flap up to stop it from vibrating. This has helped enormously. Now it's just road noise. I think there is probably more that can be done to stop the ski hatch moving.

So in summary I think it's the interior trim causing the noise, and the dampers, or suspension setup exasabate the problem.