Anyone know anything about this scam?

eccleshill

Just got off the phone with an elderly relative.

She had just had a phone call from somebody claiming to be from "Windows" - the microsoft variety not double glazing.

He told her there was a problem with her computer and he needed to talk her through a fix.  She switched on the laptop and he got her to open Internet Explorer.  He then gave her a website address but because he had a heavy foreign accent she couldn't understand what he was saying and kept getting it wrong.  Eventually she lost patience and put the phone down.

As she shut down her laptop she got the message "Windows is configuring please wait"  (or something like that).  She doesn't use the laptop very often so this could be a genuine MS update in progress.

Any thoughts anyone?

Talking of scams which that was, Microsoft do not ring people!

Emails are the worst atm... I'm getting loads of mails claiming to be from Amazon/British Airways/Companies House etc to name a few.

They all have a "rar" executable files attached and usually say, to check you order from Amazon or view your flight tickets please open the attachment... DO NOT

• Like 1

No offence but this is one of the oldest scams in the world of computer.

They ask you to turn on your computer, type something in and tada, you have a system error (fyi, every computer has one somewhere), they either ask you for a fee to fix it and you pay and they now have your credit card details or they ask you to enter another code and now your computer is part of a botnet and they have everything on your computer.

The 'Update' is probably genuine if she never entered all the info they asked, but make sure she NEVER does anything with a computer or phone (mobile or otherwise) that someone has asked her to do after they phone her.

If you minimise your browser and the message has gone it is a scam, genuine updates are in the toolbar on the right without being on a browser  . As lee has said that program is free and good, so is spybot, http://spybot-search-destroy.en.softonic.com/ I have them both plus Kaspersky internet security 

• Like 1

I thought everyone got these calls weekly,

i have for a couple of years now.

I sometimes play along for a bit, and then ask about his father, mother etc, and then swear at each other.

sadly the Lady seems to have just gone too far in being conned,

i hope her computer security is OK, and accounts etc safe.

george

Complete scam.

I'm 99% sure the update is coincidental, she would have had to download a remote desktop tool first before they do anything to her machine. :)

All they would do, is load the event viewer, show you come message which the average user will mistake for genuine errors, whilst downloading and loading crap in the background. Then ask you to pay a fee for them to 'fix' these 'issues'. There was a topic about it in the Tech Shed if you're interested there's also a hour long video to show what they do.

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback everyone.  Just spoke to her again and she is a little upset that she was fooled.  I just hope her embarrassment hasn't lead her to hold back on some of the details.  She says she didn't give him any bank or credit card details so I think all is OK.

• Like 1

Common as a common thing.

If you get them on the phone tell them you need their IP to let them through your firewall. Then pass it to me.

I know some people :devil:

• Like 1

If there is any doubt that an wanted file has been added to the pc I would use system restore on a previous date when you know the pc was OK. Then run spybot to flush out any potential problems.

I had a similar call almost a year ago, the caller was adamant I had a problem on my pc when I said I don't think I do.  I asked 'what is the problem?'  the caller said 'please start your computer' I waited a moment and then said.................but I don't have a computer :giggle:

• Like 1

Haha had this a few years back. He kept telling me to press the windows key on my keyboard and I just opened up youtube and played penguin sounds everytime I told him I pressed it, being adamant that everytime I pressed the windows key nothing happened but this penguin sound. Had him going for agess haha.

He finally caught on that I was taking the **** and went "ohhhhhh you mother ****er" then hung up.

He rang back again the following week and when I told him he'd already tried me he said the exact same thing as he hung up the phone. Strange.

Edited by Dann2707
  • Like 2

Just tell her not to worry. A lot of people fall for it but at least she didn't actually get scammed out of any money.

Saw a video of some guy pranking them with a windows 95 PC. They didn't know what to do as he gave them full control of Windows 95 and couldn't get any of their trojan programs to work.

Lol

Phil

I'd suggest to any folks gettingthis call. Do as my son does. Play them along ,and then ask the question "HOW DO I DO THAT ON A MAC".It's guaranteed to get them moving on to next mug.

They're are many scams similar to this, and they work for the scammer because for every 1000 calls they make, one lands a perfect storm.

The scammer will explain the same scenario to every recipient they call, and to most it will sound fishy, but every now and again the tale will sound true, just like the problems they have encountered. They believe the caller must be legitimate, how else would they know their problems.

They exploit peoples niaivity, they don't realise it is a script and they have already read it to many, many people already who have told them to **** off.

Unfotunately someone, somewhere believes the story because it sounds true and fits their sitiuation.

Just tell those less savvy friends / relations how this scam works. Its simple when you know how & why but easy to be sucked in when you don't.

If you get what sounds like a dodgy call, ask them for the first, third and penultimate letters of the password that you and the company have set up. They'll put the phone down as they haven't got a clue.

i'd double check she didn't get far enough to install any remote control software but it sounds like they didn't get that far.

Although these scams are well known to us, they can be nasty for people who aren't so tech savvy.  My Dad isn't at all technical and steers clear of technology generally so he got himself quite worried when he was called by 'Microsoft' and told him that a computer in the house was sending malicious mails and needed to be sorted immediately.  At least he refused he to do anything on the computer and instead convinced them to phone back later when I could speak to them, it took a lot convincing before he understood it was just a scam.

John

yes they tried it on with my mam but she wised up and told them she doesn't own a computer to which they just hung up.

Luckily I've warned her about various scams going around whether be phishing emails/phone calls or computer locking blackmail! It all seems very convincing at the time to somebody who isn't very technical

Edited by acidstrato