New Golf R

alex_e3

Not suffered from any of the issues mentioned by the attached- after 6mth plus of ownership and 6500 miles.

http://wheels.ae/drives/long-term-tests/long-term-review-volkswagen-golf-r-week-10-1.1461049

It's a shame that no UK Mag has one on long term test.

Only one other issue mentioned by member owner(999pooch) on this site, gearbox selector noise / notchy (1st /2nd) - repaired(?) under warranty.

Edited by vrskeith
  • Like 1

Not suffered from any of the issues mentioned by the attached- after 6mth plus of ownership and 6500 miles.

http://wheels.ae/drives/long-term-tests/long-term-review-volkswagen-golf-r-week-10-1.1461049

It's a shame that no UK Mag has one on long term test.

Only one other issue mentioned by member owner(999pooch) on this site, gearbox selector noise / notchy (1st /2nd) - repaired(?) under warranty.

"edgier, harder to live with"

"turbo lag"

Wtf was this guy smoking? That's a poor review, it's a much better family car than you'd expect for the performance, but, they're not really that fast. Why are all these hot hatch reviews full of adjectives more appropriate to an F18.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R44SMcMGpOk

This run was, I believe is a standard R and not a stripped out,slightly tweaked version. 

WTF was that, that went passed in the last 30 sec??

BMW Racer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7FTLOp7-hk

Edited by vrskeith

A couple of photos from Geneva of the R estate....

Geneva2015%2B434-2.JPG

Looking at the outside "add on's", Basically the existing "R" line body kit for the estate which we in UK don't get, with double exhaust........& they have kept the same Cherry rear light clusters that I have (GT spec)! I would have thought a set of LED's like the "R" hatch would have been made.....................oh well that's another mod out the window then!.........

• Like 1

Somehow the quad pipes look more acceptable on the estate version. :-)

At bumper level you can't tell the difference -your mindset is, I want an Estate but not a Hatch. Simples!

At bumper level you can't tell the difference -your mindset is, I want an Estate but not a Hatch. Simples!

Nah, I just think the exhausts are more in proportion to the larger estate bodystyle. :-)

Funnily enough SWMBO was having a poke around a new Leon Cupra 280 hatch in our local dealer last weekend and really liked it. The boot was actually pretty reasonable and she preferred the more compact size compared to an estate so who knows we could actually be back in the market for a hatch soon!

Having said that I'm also thinking about just keeping the Fabia as it costs peanuts and investing any extra cash to change my car instead next year (when I've had it over 2yrs). Keeping SWMBO in the Fabia and upgrading to something like an M2 or RS3 has it's appeal. :-)

• Like 2

Nah, I just think the exhausts are more in proportion to the larger estate bodystyle. :-)

Funnily enough SWMBO was having a poke around a new Leon Cupra 280 hatch in our local dealer last weekend and really liked it. The boot was actually pretty reasonable and she preferred the more compact size compared to an estate so who knows we could actually be back in the market for a hatch soon!

Having said that I'm also thinking about just keeping the Fabia as it costs peanuts and investing any extra cash to change my car instead next year (when I've had it over 2yrs). Keeping SWMBO in the Fabia and upgrading to something like an M2 or RS3 has it's appeal. :-)

Tom,

Some time ago I commented on here that the Leon Cupra 280 could well be the "New Fabia vRS MK3" EITHER New or Demo,better package for a general small family use, than a very restricted FIESTA ST. also the S1.

Perhaps it is worth pointing out the Clio RS which is not a silly price and does have geniune race pedigree with the Clio cup rather than these spec'd up versions of family cars without racing pedigree.  At least the Audi A4 etc have DTM pedigree I am struggling to think of the Golf platform in any racing series, is any one running one in BTCC?  

Tom,

Some time ago I commented on here that the Leon Cupra 280 could well be the "New Fabia vRS MK3" EITHER New or Demo,better package for a general small family use, than a very restricted FIESTA ST. also the S1.

Yeah I remember, totally see where you are coming from on that. The Leon is good value indeed with max discount applied. The one SWMBO saw in the shroom was a white manual car with 3 or 4 options ticked but priced at an eye-watering £29990. Madness. I'd imagine they will be very lucky to get some clueless punter/mug to pay that for it...

• Like 2

Yeah I remember, totally see where you are coming from on that. The Leon is good value indeed with max discount applied. The one SWMBO saw in the shroom was a white manual car with 3 or 4 options ticked but priced at an eye-watering £29990. Madness. I'd imagine they will be very lucky to get some clueless punter/mug to pay that for it...

But spec it up and order via the broker with a 6k discount...   BARGAIN. :)

• Like 2

EDIT.

Sorry my bad,

i did not see this was the Golf R thread and not the Clio RS 200T one when replying to lol-lol from 2 posts above.

Have you been for a long test drive yet in the current model?

I am looking forward to trying the new model.

I like them to a degree, and have driven several in the past year.

I like the Build Quality, the space, & how it drives in some situations, but not in others.

Much Cheapness will be available while the current model is available, and maybe more so with the launch of the latest version.

(I have been looking at the Seat Leon FR 1.8TSI 180ps with DSG in Hatch & Estate forms,

and Much Cheapness is also available there.)

As to the UK Clio Cup Race Series RS200T Cars, there are some good vids available from Renault on how those cars are prepared,

and they are rather different from the Road Version, but not too far away from them.

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 1

But spec it up and order via the broker with a 6k discount... BARGAIN. :)

Indeed it is (which is why I said it was great value with maximum discount applied). We are both clued-up on how to get such a deal, but not everyone is. The dealer is never going to advertise the car like that initially. They will try it on to see if they will get a bite at full list price. When it fails to shift they are then quite easy to get for "much cheapness" as George says. Plenty of ex-demo and showroom stock sitting unsold nationally. :-)

• Like 2

Indeed it is (which is why I said it was great value with maximum discount applied). We are both clued-up on how to get such a deal, but not everyone is. The dealer is never going to advertise the car like that initially. They will try it on to see if they will get a bite at full list price. When it fails to shift they are then quite easy to get for "much cheapness" as George says. Plenty of ex-demo and showroom stock sitting unsold nationally. :-)

stever750 is also your Leon 280 man. Shame that you are now moving away from the R ESTATE.

Tom,

It would have been interesting to see what trade-in value they would have offered your missus.

Edited by vrskeith
  • Like 1

stever750 is also your Leon 280 man. Shame that you are now moving away from the R ESTATE.

Tom,

It would have been interesting to see what trade-in value they would have offered your missus.

Would have been interesting to see the trade-in values for sure. I will get an idea when I get around to having a testdrive I suspect.

I'd like an R estate but I just know in my heart SWMBO will reckon it's too big. And if I buy one and she hates it..... Could be an expensive error.

No, I'm sticking with our current setup for the time being. There really is no pressing need to change. The furby is cheap and cheerful and does what it says on the tin with no dramas (yet, touch wood). Now we are into year 2 of ownership the depreciation curve should be starting to level out abit so makes sense to hold on to the beastie abit longer if I'm honest.

Oh and I'm absolutely McLovin the M135i at the moment so that will be on my drive for another 18months I suspect.

I should probably buy another house rather than keep spanking cash on motors but we'll see lol.

• Like 1

Tom,

Looking at the power and performance, the Leon is the new 2.0 petrol Fabia, except not as quick as the Furby of course (how long have I been on this site?)

• Like 2

Today I am not eating yogurt, but driving a Leon ST 1.8 TSI Dsg, and to me it is a much nicer place to be in compared to a Mk2 Fabia vRS estate. It has proper suspension and nice steering. The Cupra ST 280 will be interesting as a comparison because this is nice, and looking forward to trying a Golf R Estate.

• Like 2