I didn't know it could do that!

The heated door mirrors are not connected to the rear windscreen heater button, but on the adjustment button, but if you turn it on, no light cones on and I'm not sure Huw you see if the heated mirrors are on or not at night.

Same as you would during the day, look at the position of the switch.

Pressing the volume button on the steering wheel cancels an RDS traffic announcement. The manual only hints at this when it says, "Switch sound on/off / Switch track playback on/off". Until I discovered this, having to press cancel on the touch screen was getting annoying.

• Like 1

Pressing the volume button on the steering wheel cancels an RDS traffic announcement. The manual only hints at this when it says, "Switch sound on/off / Switch track playback on/off". Until I discovered this, having to press cancel on the touch screen was getting annoying.

An excellent reason for having the controls on the wheel, unlike mine. :(

Really do miss them, especially for station or media changing.

• Like 1

It also cancels the satnav announcements, and if you are playing a cd or music from the SD card or USB it mutes and pauses.

Driving with a trailor the midle breakelight is deactivated

And in the Parkdistance in the rear is also turned of and a nice picture of a trailor apears on the columbus

You can fit a sixpack of drinks 1,5liters in the side compartements of my combi with double floor.

Skoda have some amazing ideas

trailor towing octavia 4x4 a bit big :)

trailor towing octavia 4x4

Edited by Thermalfake

A retrograde step by Skoda then, leaving the heating elements on after they've done their job!

The rear screen demister is timed and automatically switches off, but the wing mirror heaters are totally manually controlled by the switch.

The rear screen demister is timed and automatically switches off, but the wing mirror heaters are totally manually controlled by the switch.

Is there a reason for this design?   All my previous cars have had the mirror heaters liked to the rear window heater switch which seems sensible to me- one less thing to worry about.

A retrograde step by Skoda then, leaving the heating elements on after they've done their job!

They really should have a warning light to remind you that they're still on, especially in the dark when you can't see the switch position.

Is there a reason for this design? All my previous cars have had the mirror heaters liked to the rear window heater switch which seems sensible to me- one less thing to worry about.

VW have been using this system for years. It's not a new thing. I agree with you though, linked to the rear window is the better design.

But once the car warms up the rear window will stay demisted, but because the mirrors are completely exposed they could ice up again as no other source of heat would get to them..... That's my interpretation anyway (?)

Edited by johnthesparky
  • Like 3

You can bring up the Convienience Comsumption on the Maxidot of the Infotainment, that'll tell you whether the heated mirrors are on or not.

Also, pretty sure the heated mirrors activate automatically?? Noticed the other day (nice dry, warm & sunny weather) that it didn't say the heated mirrors were on, despite the switch being on the 'heater' symbol. Another journey after that when it was raining and not as warm, the mirrors heaters were back on again. Will keep my eye on this see if they ARE auto, or if my car was just in a weird mood. :)

And yes the parking sensors can be automatic, but you can turn that feature off in the settings if you don't like it :).

As mentioned above the heaters, once selected are fully automatic, their setting depends on many factors including outside temperature, speed and if the car is sensing rain.

VW have been using this system for years. It's not a new thing. I agree with you though, linked to the rear window is the better design.

I'll have to disagree on that. Actually the way the mirrors work on the Octy are one of my favorite features on the car. Now whenever I drive in the rain or snow I can just turn the switch on and the mirrors automatically heat up when needed and keep clear. On my previous car I had to keep hitting the rear defroster button every 15 mins, even when I only needed to heat the mirrors and not the rear window that was warm enough because of the heat inside the car. This approach saves energy and my nerves.

Edited by kallekilponen
  • Like 1

When you come to a stop and put it into park n DSG the TSS activates and the engine dies, however if you press the accelerator the engine comes back to life, not sure how the turbos wind down if the power us cut to circulate the oil...

There is a small electric pump. You can hear it if you listen carefully.

As mentioned above the heaters, once selected are fully automatic, their setting depends on many factors including outside temperature, speed and if the car is sensing rain.

I'll have to disagree on that. Actually the way the mirrors work on the Octy are one of my favorite features on the car. Now whenever I drive in the rain or snow I can just turn the switch on and the mirrors automatically heat up when needed and keep clear. On my previous car I had to keep hitting the rear defroster button every 15 mins, even when I only needed to heat the mirrors and not the rear window that was warm enough because of the heat inside the car. This approach saves energy and my nerves.

Mine are fully manual, switched on the other morning and drove from Derby to Rochester, temp was in the early teens, mirrors were on the consumer list every time I checked throughout the journey.