Karting Tips

seaweasel

So I'm going karting with work in a couple of weeks here:

http://www.superdriveni.com/karting

Any tips for glorious victory from the track ninjas? I've been a couple of times in Scotland years and years ago, and I vaguely remember my uncle telling me to keep the accelerator floored and then use the brake as needed.

Wouldn't mind trying out the rallying sometime, think SWMBO might like it too, bit dear though!

Any tips for glorious victory from the track ninjas? I've been a couple of times in Scotland years and years ago, and I vaguely remember my uncle telling me to keep the accelerator floored and then use the brake as needed.

Wouldn't mind trying out the rallying sometime, think SWMBO might like it too, bit dear though!

Don't spin it like I normally do :)
  • Like 2

Hadn't been karting for a while. Got in the car at the end thought there was a problem with the steering system due to the wheel turning so easily. Stopped on a number of occasions to check under the engine for power steering leaks. It took a while for me to realise this burst of super strength was due to driving a non power assisted vehicle for an hour.

Just grateful I wasn't single at the time. I probably would have ripped the head off it!

Lose weight.

Talent is important but if you are 100 Kgs and your competitors are 50-60 Kgs you have had it.  Even on the more powerful 70 mph outside karts never mind about the lower power indoor ones.

• Like 3

Slow in fast out. You need to keep as much momentum as possible through the corners. If the kart is sliding or hoping, you're loosing time.

A smooth driving style is what I find works best, remember that the brake is on the rear axel so slamming them on will only end one way; facing backwards!

• Like 2

Don't get carried away.

I got black flagged for nudging my mate 4 or 5 times :think:

Later on I was sliding the cart deliberately because it was fun. I couldn't see a way past on the narrow track without touching.

It's hard work.

You might want to take your own lid and or gloves if you have them. The provided ones were a bit stinky.

• Like 1

Lol-lol is bang on the money with weight, if your porker your at a huge disadvantage.

Most of all though, just enjoy yourself and have fun. You dont need to win to have fun :)

I am just big boned.

Weight can help when another kart want to steal your line or push you in to the barrier but acceleration is severly affected ie Power to weight goes to pot.

One track had a hairpin and then a bridge and us big chaps use to bog down and then chug up the slope over the bridge.

Also the tyres get to the too hot you start lossing the tenths and then just have some fun sliding it around, nothing else you can do!

• Like 1

Start at the front of the pack, carry a long stick and stick it across your kart to the sides f the track. You're sorted then.

The kart's ability to go round corners is way higher than you probably imagine. Be brave and 'grow a pair'!  LOL!

Yeah, I found this at Blyon last weekend. It took longer than I would like to admit to start to actually get used to it!

• Like 2

Stay calm and drive the way you can handle. 

That will always be the quickest. If you are starting to push beyond your limits, your laptimes will get worse.

As long as you stay confident and stay within your limits, you will be the quickest within your ability.

If you are not a regular driver, drive your way and dont try to follow the regular drivers. 

It should be fun, not a war with yourself.

• Like 1

Cheers all, quite looking forward to it, should be good fun.

Lose weight.

Talent is important but if you are 100 Kgs and your competitors are 50-60 Kgs you have had it.  Even on the more powerful 70 mph outside karts never mind about the lower power indoor ones.

Bugger.

Don't get carried away.

I got black flagged for nudging my mate 4 or 5 times :think:

Later on I was sliding the cart deliberately because it was fun. I couldn't see a way past on the narrow track without touching.

It's hard work.

You might want to take your own lid and or gloves if you have them. The provided ones were a bit stinky.

Don't have any nemeses at work so shouldn't be too hardcore hopefully!

I still have a decent helmet from a few years back when I had a Suzuki scooterbike for a while. Has been out in a shed for a few years so might not be much more pleasant! My airsoft gloves should do the trick.

Don't spin it like I normally do :)

That's me all over too  :sweat:

So my tip is, if it's raining, take me along and you can at least be sure to not be last.  You'll see me barrelling along and making good progress, then I'll overestimate my level of skill and watch everyone pass me, including back markers, while the stewards extricate me from whatever barrier or obstacle I park on or in  :blush:

Gaz

• Like 1

If you're competitive and want to win, don't slide the kart! As above, you'll lose time. Take the proper racing line into the corner. Lean into the corner as much as you can, as it'll help to drag the kart nicely around the corner. This isn't easy though, as the forces are surprisingly quite high! God knows what F1 drivers have to go through!!

If you just want a laugh, then slide it about and get into battles with your mates/colleagues.

• Like 1

Your uncle's tip is not far off tbh! Going into the corner brake as late as you dare, I ease off the brakes as I'm turning, then on the power as early as possible to carry your momentum round the corner. Helped me to 3rd place in a local championship anyway!

If you're competitive and want to win, don't slide the kart! As above, you'll lose time. Take the proper racing line into the corner. Lean into the corner as much as you can, as it'll help to drag the kart nicely around the corner. This isn't easy though, as the forces are surprisingly quite high! God knows what F1 drivers have to go through!!

If you just want a laugh, then slide it about and get into battles with your mates/colleagues.

+1

Too much sliding is never fast, but if you start slow and gradually get faster, youll learn where the limit is.

Then just as you think youve sussed it, your mate will overtake you and youll wonder what hes doing that you havent sussed yet! Haha.

And if someone is faster than you and subsequently does manage to overtake you, just remember, whatever their kart can do, yours can too, so stick with them and keep the pressure on. Then when they screw up and end up in a tire wall leave them for dead and keep that speed.

• Like 1

Contrary to above comment about leaning in to the corner, don't. Lean your body towards the outside of the bend.

Almost everyone leans in to the corner to try and keep the kart flat. The major issue with this is the solid rear axle. Not too much of an issue on fast bends but on slow stuff the rear axle will try and make the kart drive straight.

If you lean out it'll flex the chassis and help to lift an inside wheel, making the kart turn easier, reducing drag on the inside wheel and helping the engine power up.

Relax your upper body and let your torso weight press against the outer side if the of the seat.

Edited by goshow

I went outdoor karting with a group of mates a while ago, it pee'd it down, so as you can imagine, there was plenty of spinning out going on, back ends going left right and centre.

We were told by the stewards that if we manage to stay on the track for the vast majority of the race (45 minutes long... Freezing) then we would finish a long way up the board, they were correct, people were spinning out because they were pushing it too hard, take it easy, as easy as possible anyway!

JRJG

My tip is to Google go kartibg tips and do the exact opposite.

I've been three times. The first two I did my own thing and thrashed them all.

Third time I googled to try and get even faster. Read about leaning out. Slow in fast out.

Ended up coming 4th. We then had a extra 15 mins and I went back to driving my way and was back in top.