Was thinking about buying a yeti but......

O.C.D.

Firstly let me say that my 2011 Skoda fabia was one of the best cars i ever had, it was full of personality( if you know what i mean) and the 1.2 tsi engine was super. I was looking a change to something a bit bigger so started to look at all the possibilities, oddly enough my local Skoda dealer also deals in Kia ,just Skoda and kia anyway with both cars sitting close together in the showroom on looks alone the Kia had it.

If the look of the yeti does not concern you then thats the car for you but at my age i like to feel good in a new car and people to admire it, if that is me being vain well im guilty. Ok there might be some old codgers out there crying about the kia and there caravans but that doesn't concern me at the minute but when i retire i might buy a caravan just to go out on the road and annoy other road users.

Today is the day i collect my new Kia sport 1.7 crdi ( my 27th car BTW)    ...Averaging 54 mpg i've been informed and if that is bad fuel consumption for a vehicle of this size then i'm confused.   

Good luck with your new car and don't forget to post some pictures and a bit of a write up.

Whilst there's a lot of loyal Skoda fans on here, I don't think it's fair to assume they're not interested in other makes.

It'll be interesting to see how close you get to the manufacturers fuel consumption figures as the general consensus is that the difference between forecast and actual consumptions seems to be getting bigger all the time. But with the 1.7 diesel only being two wheel drive, you won't suffer the penalty that comes with having 4 driven wheels.

• Like 1

Loskie I had similar octy estate 1.9 TDI glxi and. Was a fantastic car best I've ever owned hands down and still running with over 200k on the clock

Got rid of mine 5yrs ago with  180000m on it. Original exhaust and clutch,

Door locks were temperamental and speedo had stopped working. It had a hard life with me over 5yrs and 140000m. Up and down farm and forest roads and through the odd rally stage or two.

Got rid of it on the scrappage sheme. Not sure if that was the right thing to do or not. 

kia-logo.png

Boost for Kia from global auto leaders
  • The brand ‘most likely to increase market share' up to 2019

• Results from KPMG survey of 200 global auto executives

• Korean brands replace Volkswagen at top of opinion poll

• Kia seen as a ‘technology-driven' brand

• Opinions reinforce six years of phenomenal sales success

Kia is the brand most likely to increase its share of the global car market over the next five years, according to a survey of the world's leading auto industry executives. And it will do so largely on the back of increasing the number of premium models in its range. 

Kia and partner company Hyundai jointly top the 2014 KPMG Global Automotive Executive Survey when it comes to spotting global growth potential. The two Korean brands have risen from sixth place in 2013 to supplant Volkswagen in the number one position.

The survey of 200 automotive industry leaders adds: "Seventy per cent of respondents feel that the Korean manufacturer will gain a bigger market share, thanks to new models set to make a mark on the premium segments."

This vote of confidence in Kia's standing from leading figures in the industry merely confirms the expectations within the company in the UK and around the world after six years of phenomenal growth.

Kia sold a record 2.83 million cars in 2013 - more than double the total of 1.38 million for 2008, the last year before the world banking crisis disrupted the market. In the same period the company's sales in the UK have shown a similar trend, rising from 31,324 in 2008 to 72,090 last year. Kia's UK market share has gone up from 1.78 per cent to 3.5 per cent in the same time.

In the first quarter of 2014 global sales increased by 5.2 per cent to more than 687,000 units. China posted the biggest growth - 13.3 per cent - with 156,000 sales; in Europe the market rose by 7.9 per cent to 89,000; while America showed a 4.8 per cent improvement to a total of 133,000.

The UK figure of 21,608 sales during the same three-month period represented a 12.5 per cent increase on 2013 and included the company's best-ever single month in this country, with 14,787 cars sold during March.

The KPMG survey contained other flattering opinions of Kia from global auto industry leaders. Almost two-thirds - 64 per cent ­- regard Kia and Hyundai as technology-driven brands, putting them ninth in the world rankings, while the Korean partners were seen as the fourth most likely to retain their independence in the challenging times that lie ahead for the auto industry.

The survey drew on the opinions of executives at car manufacturers, suppliers, dealers, mobility service providers and rental companies with annual revenues of more than $100 million. More than half were business unit heads or higher. Forty per cent of respondents were based in Europe, the Middle East or Africa; 35 per cent were in the Asia-Pacific region; and 25 per cent were from the Americas.                

DOWNLOAD

Well well that's interesting reading.!!!

OCD, now look what you started, nothing would have been said if you had bought a Dacia........ :rofl:

I like my Yeti, but it ain't all that, the Roomster it replaced was more versatile but I needed the extra height for entry/exit. I didn't need 4x4 and I found it suited my needs more than other cars tried. I have no brand loyalty, it's a car not a woman. Enjoy the Kia and give an appraisal after a few months, I personally don't like the high C pillars of a lot of modern SUV's, but if the Yeti changes I will be interested in the opposition. 

• Like 2

crikey, this has caused a stir hasnt it! Haha.

OCD, i bet you were gutted to see the fabia go, it was a lovely lookin car! I liked it a lot!

Opinions are opinions. We all chose to buy different cars for our different needs and tastes.

Hope you enjoy the new machine. Let us know what you think after youve put some miles on it!

• Like 3

Is Skoda missing something here? Branded sports clothing? Something like this with a natty but discrete Abominable snowman logo?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-GRANDAD-FLAT-CAP-Wool-Herringbone-Country-Club-By-GELFER-7-1-4-59cms-L-/251670671063?pt=UK_Hats&hash=item3a98bdaed7

• Like 2

An interesting little line I noted from that Kia Press Release that OCD posted above at #78:

• Results from KPMG survey of 200 global auto executives

So a really large and thorough survey of a huge number of participants then?

And from his repeated response to other Yeti owners, such as at #80, I'm becoming more and more convinced that OCD is actually Offnote in another form.

TBH 200 AUTO INDUSTRY EXECUTIVES is a pretty decent number.

Considering the total BS stats that get peddled to us every day in most advertising.

93% of 65 people we asked agreed with..... what if they actually asked 200 people... dont count the other 135 and the stat goes up etc...

I like the look of the yeti. i like the VAG brand, as they have, in an overall sense, a fairly decent satisfaction level.

IF another brand suited my needs better when i come to change my old work horse, and that brand has as good or better an impression of reliability / value etc

then yeah, i would jump ship.

OCD - Good luck with the new bus, and Please do report back here on what its like to live with, it might tempt more of us - Forcing VAG to up the game - or it might show us that the grass aint really any greener. who knows right now! (i do hope it doesnt do your head in btw... )

• Like 1

Sorry for my Duff Gen, but by all accounts received here, the actions by agencies in Australia made VW Assume the position,

change tack, own up to customer and agencies, 

which is more than happens in the EU / UK.

http://abc.net.au/news/2013-06-06/volkswagen-recall-powers/4737772

http://drive.com.au/motor-news/volkswagen-we=need-to-do-better-20131003-2utkm.html

Read the two articles you linked. Allen Fels is the ex-head of the ACCC and always happy to give himself a bit of publicity. He says that the ACCC "could" use it's powers to force VW to take action. Ultimately, VW jumped before they were pushed.

The drive article doesn't appear to mention the ACCC and is quite right where it says that VW has reacted to a campaign in the media where it's reputation for quality was severly questioned.

It's pretty much the norm in AU that government watchdogs are run by the people / groups they are supposed to be watching (the tail wags the dog). ACCC is very much a toothless tiger but the foreign investment review board is even worse.

On the bright side, at least you read something about Australia as despite our high opinion of ourselves, on the world stage we are minnows.

Just out of interest, where is the Sportage in the JD power survey?

Graham, doe the replacement have to be a softroader style, or just have 4x4?

There are a lot of 4x4 cars that would fit the bill and have similar ground clearance.

4x4, because of my job and my hobbies.

Agreed there are others available, but I've only looked in local dealerships.

There are a lot of 4x4 cars that would fit the bill and have similar ground clearance.

And bigger boots than the yeti..... Sorry....

• Like 2

And from his repeated response to other Yeti owners, such as at #80, I'm becoming more and more convinced that OCD is actually Offnote in another form.

99.9% sure you're wrong there, Graham .

• Like 4