Best tyre

Hi guys I'm looking for some tyres for my mk2 vrs tdi! What's the best tyre to get as I have a right cheap pair on front which I'm gonna put on the back, I keep looking for deals but can't seem to find a good tyre they all seem quite expensive, can anyone recommend any sites or garages in essex?

I had falkens on my last car and they where great.

My wheel size is 18's

Any help thanxs guys

I heartily recommend the Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance tyre.

Relatively inexpensive and actually does reduce noise and increase mpg.

Might not suit if you like 'sporty' driving, they're a little squishy for that.

• Like 1

Uniroyal Rainsport 3 is probably the best summer tyre compromise.

http://www.tyreleader.co.uk or http://www.camskill.co.uk will be your best bet.

I think this is the one for yours: http://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyres/uniroyal/rain-sport-3/225-40-zr18-92y-260675

not related to original post but ive just ordered 4 to be fitted early next month £80 per tyre fitted. thorne doncaster

Depends what you mean by "best" really..  dry grip, wet grip, price, longevity etc.

In terms of empirical tests, Continental sport contact 5's won the most recent EVO test, with the updated pirelli p zero and goodyear assymetric 2's very close.

I have run conti 5's, dunlop sport max RT and assymetric2s on the car this year.  Not much to choose between the continental and goodyear - both are excellent.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2014-EVO-Max-Performance-Summer-Tyre-Test.htm

camskill has goodyear assymetrics at £89 each:

http://www.camskill.co.uk/m61b0s134p0/Car_Tyres_-_MPV_Tyres_-_People_Carrier_Tyres_-_18_inch_R18_inch_-_225_40_18_225_40R18

Dont bother with pirelli P zeros good in dry but very little traction when pulling away in the wet and thats pulling away normally as well not thrashing it 

Edited by Phil2013

Why put the budgets on the back?

Surely keeping them on the front will wear them down faster allowing you to replace them sooner?

Sticking them on the back means they'll be around for ever.

Remember in the winter rear end grip is equally important, hence the recommendation to only fit winter tyres on all four wheels, not just in pairs.

Either stick the new tyres on the back or bin the budgets althogether and buy four new tyres.

• Like 2

By and large, tyres that grip, brake and steer well often wear more quickly than those with longer wear life.

BUT any accident avoided by quality tyres will save money in repairs. ( and possible injury! )

As above, it's worth reading EVO or AutoExpress tyre reviews which are really informative.

Having read that Nexen n-Blue were recommended for all attributes except long wear life, I fitted some to my Fabia during the last year I owned it and was pleased to save money and have good braking, steering and grip.

Hope this and other posts help you.

I've got the Goodyear eagle F1's fitted to my vrs tdi is they're superb in the dry but if I'm being honest they're a little rubbish in the wet and the traction light comes on in 1st 2nd and 3rd.

People will have their own favourites with tyres so all I can offer is my experience of a few brands.

Never owned a VRS (yet) but have a Shark mapped PD 140 running on 17" alloys.

I do cover 27,000 miles per year due to my job. Different people will get different mileage out of tyres but the following are tyres I've used.

Event tyres (Event brand not the mobile tyre fitters)  - New on car when purchased. Tyres were cheap as chips but had enough grip for the price. Not ones to put push hard.

Continental Contact 3 - winner of awards and came highly recommended, good grip, good feedback and lasted about 19k. (As an aside they were dire in the snow which I can encounter in the hills. Conti's were bad enough to persuade me to use winter wheels)

Maxxis Maz Vectra 1 -  An attempt to save money and they offered good grip in the wet and the dry. Noisier than Conti's and noticed chunks missing when the tyres got down to 3mm. Only lasted about 14k so not a great saving.

Goodyear Eagle Assym 2 - Excellent tyre, quiet, very good grip, cheaper than Michelin, Conti's and lasted 24k. Have just bought a second set. Got these from BestTyres my local dealer and they were fitted cheaper than internet prices!

Deeply suspect that you could use a few brands with good results but I thoroughly recommend the Goodyears.

Edited by Prof. Outdoors

I went from Vredestein Sessantas, lasted 20k plus, to Goodyear Eagle F1 AS2"s. Been on now for 2k.

compared to the vreds, the goodyears are not as good in the wet, in fact my traction control has come on a few times already when pulling off on 1st and 2nd in the wet.

It never came on with the Vreds, even when there was less than 3mm tread left.

i will be getting the vreds next time.

People will have their own favourites with tyres so all I can offer is my experience of a few brands.

Never owned a VRS (yet) but have a Shark mapped PD 140 running on 17" alloys.

I do cover 27,000 miles per year due to my job. Different people will get different mileage out of tyres but the following are tyres I've used.

Event tyres (Event brand not the mobile tyre fitters) - New on car when purchased. Tyres were cheap as chips but had enough grip for the price. Not ones to put push hard.

Continental Contact 3 - winner of awards and came highly recommended, good grip, good feedback and lasted about 19k. (As an aside they were dire in the snow which I can encounter in the hills. Conti's were bad enough to persuade me to use winter wheels)

Maxxis Maz Vectra 1 - An attempt to save money and they offered good grip in the wet and the dry. Noisier than Conti's and noticed chunks missing when the tyres got down to 3mm. Only lasted about 14k so not a great saving.

Goodyear Eagle Assym 2 - Excellent tyre, quiet, very good grip, cheaper than Michelin, Conti's and lasted 24k. Have just bought a second set. Got these from BestTyres my local dealer and they were fitted cheaper than internet prices!

Deeply suspect that you could use a few brands with good results but I thoroughly recommend the Goodyears.

I had a puma purchased blind by my dad and his mate for me.

Car was spot on, except for the bargain basement Event tyres newly fitted to the rears.

Was barely drivable with them, the puma can be provoked into lift off oversteer at will, with those Event tyres it was likely it would be provoked right into a hedge!

I didn't think to quiz what make the tyres were, dad is of the black and round school of thought...

They were outed for some hankooks that suited it well.

The Event ditch finders were donated to the mother in law to go on her shopping diesel fiesta.

My Octavia came new on bridgestone turanzas, OK average tyre that hasn't worn particularly well or gripped spectacularly. Will need replacing next year and will most likely go for some Goodyear's.

My wife's mito has pirelli p zeros on which grip very well in the dry, car has hardly been driven in the wet so no comment there, had it for 1000 miles from new so too early for any idea of how well they wear. My guess going on dry grip is not very well!

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

A tyre that one person rates may well be hated by another and, depending on what you want from a tyre there may well not ever be a "best tyre".

I'm of the opinion that it's the only part of the vehicle that is in contact with the road, and at times my wife & family will also be travelling in it so I only fit premium tyres. I did quite a bit of research prior to changing the fronts on my vRS (factory fit Continental Sport Contact 2's), and went for the Goodyear F1 Asymmetric 2. I have to say that they seem to suit the car really well (especially when pressure is adjusted correctly). They are a great improvement over the Conti's, and have the benefit of being slightly cheaper than comparative premium tyres. If  I still have the car when tyres need replacing again then it will the Goodyears going on again.

• 2 weeks later...

Michlen pilot sport 3's on the front of mine after dealer stuck some cheap dodgy rubbish on mine, when I bought it, they are on the back now the ps3 are extremely good especially in the wet, not too sure on wear.

They are down to 4mm after 3.5k miles but I do like to accelerate fairly hard but not to the extremes.

Looking at Goodyear next time as they seem from reports to give good grip and sensible wear levels.

And yes the crud are on the back and have not let go once, unlike when they were on the front, had a few moments in the wet.

They are "Kenda" so avoid unless you fancy going straight on at the next round about :)

Edited by Defenderben

Another vote for the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2's.

I tried the original F1 Asymmetric's on my previous Octavia VRS (Stage 2 modified) and have stuck with them ever since, wouldn't buy anything different now. Always been confident on them, even in the wet where I felt like they were less inclined to aquaplane than other tyres.

Just bought a Mk2 VRS with some fairly cheap tyres on the front and I'm willing the days down until they need replacing, but having a bit of fun in the mean time ;)

The goodyear efficent grip performance is a very good overall tyre.

Ive got 4 on my mapped vrs tdi and they cope very well.

Noise, overall grip and wear rate are all very good. It will take something special to get me to change now and i am one of those who does look into their tyre choises

I've run Michelin PS3 and Goodyear Eagle F1 AS2. I think the Michelin is slightly better but the new tread depth is quite shallow and probably contributes to the feel due to reduced block flex. The Goodyear has a deeper tread so lasts longer and is usually cheaper.