rs no sound generator

Some of the early diesel vrs' didn't have them, I only found out that mine didn't have one when a friend on here was sorting a few things out with VCDS and he noticed that the coding was missing from the car.

In some countries it's an option, think it only when the drive mode selection is spec'd when it's not standard.

+1

Its not standard here in Switzerland, you have to pay for the extra "Drive Mode Button" which then also adds the noise generator.

I have it and would prefer not too. In sport mode it is far too loud and makes the front dash & windscreen vibrate. In normal mode it is still too loud and occasionally causes vibration. Eco mode is okay but I did not buy a VRS TSI to drive in Eco mode...

I have spoken to my dealer who will fix the vibration and turn down/off the (annoying) sound generator at the cars first service.

Better off without it.

Edited by Orville
  • Like 3

First thing I did when I got my VCDS cable was to completely disable it - I put sport mode on when I picked up the car from the dealers and by the time I got home I was about ready to attack it with a pair of wirecutters. I actually like the real engine sound when you hoof it, the noise generator is awful and as Orville says it makes the whole front of the car vibrate.

I can cope with it 99% of the time but in sport, around 5k revs, I get a high-pitched horrible shrill vibration from somewhere around the windscreen which is really horrible. Only for about 200-300 revs then it's gone.

Tracking that down would be nigh-on impossible I think. If I had VCDS I'd probably disable it or at least turn it down.

It never bothered me much but when I got VCDS I disabled it.  It 's quieter without it, and the sound of the diesel isn't as prominent as my previous Fabia VRS.

My car is a TSI. Horrible vibration in sport until I took it to be fixed. Now it sounds much better, and more natural. 

Apart from the vibration, the hard edge seems to have been taken off the faux noise, which is probably down to the insulation they have packed in to dampen the offending cable.

Probably one of the reasons I bought the TDi!!! The noise generator helped sell the car for me, its a hoot and I wouldn't be without it, far better than the tractor like drone of the diseasal engine.... IMHO it sounds like a flat plane v8 and it makes me smile...

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

My car is a TSI. Horrible vibration in sport until I took it to be fixed. Now it sounds much better, and more natural. 

Apart from the vibration, the hard edge seems to have been taken off the faux noise, which is probably down to the insulation they have packed in to dampen the offending cable.

Did the dealer argue about doing the work? mine has a rattle at around 1500-2000 rpm which drives me mad!

In Ireland it's €230 extra for the Mode button and the sound actuator. I got it to be able to adjust the throttle response and headlights, I have the volume set to zero.

you will get errors in the system, if you just unplug it

I've had no errors flash up or had anything said to me after two services. I unplugged mine after a few days, back in March 2014.