I don't need winter tyres because I am so awesome thread

FUBAR

To be totally awesome in winter you don't need winter tyres...................you need these:-

http://blog.caranddriver.com/dashing-through-the-snow-in-a-v-8-diesel-vw-touareg-wearing-tracks/

or like this.....................

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTDNLUzjkpg

TBH I have seen these fitted to vehicles on the roads up here.........mainly around the ski-areas, & forestry vehicles though..............

• Like 1

Hopefully my Nokian D4s will be here by Monday

It will be my first time on a Winter tyre that isn't a Vredestein since 2007

Good choice, my D4's got delivered last week from TyreLeader. All mounted and ready to go. 

What's the bet it's the mildest winter ever this year.....

• Like 1

• Administrators

I really, really hope it is. My knees are not right, too left apparently,  and I'm way of hill fit for getting a load of winter climbing done and staying in our hut at Roybridge all season. I can promise you at 5m before the gritters are out, you cannot change the scottish laws of physics :)

ColinD, you can not change the laws of physics,

but the economics have changed and the cuts backs on winter roads treatments, also less gritters, last year 12 of the 115 in the Highland Council to be cut, but then they do not do the Trunk Routes, that is Bear or Amey.

Now the appeals for the community to get stuck in and help voluntarily where before they were being paid has been publicised.

You're right on gritting George.

The main road on our estate was a grade 3 route (low priority) then was regraded as 2 after the heavy snow in 2009 as it's a bus route.

It's now been regraded back to 3, along with a number of main roads locally if there is another way, all be it longer detour, then that's acceptable.

Good choice, my D4's got delivered last week from TyreLeader. All mounted and ready to go. 

Tyreleader are great, now better than Oponeo who I have used to tyre the 4 family cars over to All Season or Winters at only at about £40 a shot for 195/205 sizes using the excellent Nexen range, South Korea gets some bad winters and they have high technology levels.

With both All Season and Winters it is not just their snow performance but their performance in standing water and at the sub 10C compared to a Summer tyre which would aquaplane in such conditions.  All all the F1 drivers were saying at the US GP, when you start aquaplaning you can be the most awesome driver in the world but when your tyres let go you are virtual just a passenger.

The weather events across the world this year, including the rain storms in the South of France and Hurricane Patricia which nearly spoiled the F1 in the US appear to be affirming this deepest of El Nino years.  If we are in for 2010/11 winter or worse best be prepared. 

As many are finding this morning, aquaplaning is happening because you are hitting standing water at an inappropriate speed, 

maybe even in a large / heavy vehicle with the best 'wet weather' tyres you can buy.

Yet little cars with narrow ECO Tyres going at the correct speed for the conditions are going through the water just fine, 

other than getting hit with the water those passing them are throwing on their cars, before loosing control.

Sometimes hit with a deluge of watter from the Carriageway going in the opposite direction and water coming over the central reservation. (eg Motorway through Glasgow.)

Tyres are just what touches the road surface, or often as happens with sitting water or running water on

the public highway, not touching the surface when aquaplaning.

Those that fit appropriate tyres to capable vehicles should maybe be the ones that are most capable of thinking, 

'yes i have the gear, so maybe best to still drive safely to the conditions because even i can lose control and friction,

& because all around me are others without, and with no idea'.

Maybe even still driving in very wet or cold conditions with Cruise Control activated.

• Like 1

As many are finding this morning, aquaplaning is happening because you are hitting standing water at an inappropriate speed,   maybe even in a large / heavy vehicle with the best 'wet weather' tyres you can buy.  Yet little cars with narrow ECO Tyres going at the correct speed for the conditions are going through the water just fine, 

other than getting hit with the water those passing them are throwing on their cars, before loosing control.   Sometimes hit with a deluge of watter from the Carriageway going in the opposite direction and water coming over the central reservation. (eg Motorway through Glasgow.)   Tyre are just what touches the road surface, or often as happens with sitting water or running water on  the public highway, not touching the surface when aquaplaning.   Those that fit appropriate tyres to capable vehicles should maybe be the ones that are most capable of thinking,   'yes i have the gear, so maybe best to still drive safely to the conditions because even i can lose control and friction,  & because all around me are others without, and with no idea'.  Maybe even still driving in very wet or cold conditions with Cruise Control activated.

Indeed if you hit standing water at a speed above what the tyre can displace you are in trouble.  The key with All Season and Winter tyres is they tend to have wider cental groves and sipes and in the case of some of my All Seasons is that that have the sipes as 45 degrees to the main groves so the tyres and uni-directional ie can only be fitted on one side of the car which gives somewhat dilemma in that the spare you might carry.

All Season and Winters are wear blocked at 3 or 4 mm rather than the 1.6 mm for summer tyres and everyone should be aware that tyres serious loss amounts of wet weather breaking once worn beyond 3 mm.  Personally I think tyres should be on the list for intermediate VAT rate ie currently 5%, like condoms and electricity are,  to promote early change (of tyres).

Also George, along with a host of other things car makers do (and don't do) to sell cars, putting wider rims and tyres on a light or lower powered car is not a good thing to do.  Fabia 2 HTP runs on 195s, Chevy Spark runs on 155/165, Dacia 0.9T on 185/205 and Jaaag Type S on 205s.  In racing we would choose optimum tyre for the conditions, bit more difficult to do on a family run around but still so important to survive on the road which still claims more lives and injuries than any war we have been involved in since the second world war.      

All all the F1 drivers were saying at the US GP, when you start aquaplaning you can be the most awesome driver in the world but when your tyres let go you are virtual just a passenger.

But theyre just playing at it compared to some of the driving gods on here ;).

• Like 1

I don't need winter tyres... I'll just thumb a lift off my wife who does on her BMW 120d coupe. Last lot of snow and she had managed to drive up the hill on our road past various 4x4 who couldn't manage it whilst her car still had it's summer tyres. This year if we have snow she will be a driving goddess. I will get some winter tyres for mine at some point as they do perform so much better when it's cold although I'm interested to see if the new crop of all seasons tyres work better than they used to. Last time I drove a car with all seasons, Vred Quatrac, they were OK but a bit of compromise when compared to summer or winter tyres. 

I don't need winter tyres... I'll just thumb a lift off my wife who does on her BMW 120d coupe. Last lot of snow and she had managed to drive up the hill on our road past various 4x4 who couldn't manage it whilst her car still had it's summer tyres. This year if we have snow she will be a driving goddess. I will get some winter tyres for mine at some point as they do perform so much better when it's cold although I'm interested to see if the new crop of all seasons tyres work better than they used to. Last time I drove a car with all seasons, Vred Quatrac, they were OK but a bit of compromise when compared to summer or winter tyres. 

As  BMW fan, I still have to admit I'm impressed with that story!  

1 series + Summer tyres + Hill + Snow = Success.

Your wife is a driving goddess :)

• Like 1

BMW trumpet their 50/50 weight balance which is usually not so good in bad weather unless you have rear wheel drive and then put about quarter of a ton of weight in the boot via paving slabs, (dead bodies if around Villa after your drive by and getting rid of the bodies).  

The problem with front wheel drive only is the more you carry the less there is over the driving wheels which is a pain.

Neighbour opposite just traded his beautiful sounding V8 M3 for the new M5 but I think he has gone for an extra thwarty exhaust as the V6 turbo does not sound as bad as I thought it would, no V8 but quite nie and 550 hp is not so shabby (still would have a GTR and 4 wheel drive etc though).

Neighbour opposite just traded his beautiful sounding V8 M3 for the new M5 but I think he has gone for an extra thwarty exhaust as the V6 turbo does not sound as bad as I thought it would, no V8 but quite nie and 550 hp is not so shabby (still would have a GTR and 4 wheel drive etc though).

M5 doesn't have a V6!! how very dare you

Certainly better than me.

1 series + Summer tyres + the very slightest of incline + Snow = Stuck.

• Like 2

That wasn't your wife parked outside Lloyds pharmacy a few years ago was it?  :think: :)

• Like 2

Ah that is why it sounds so nice.  I was thinking the both the M3 and M5 had their naturally aspirated V8s replaced by turbo six cylinder but I see it is just the M3 that gets the also ran engine.   Why would anyone want a new M3 producing less HP than the old M3? (a part from fuel consumption).  The turbos on the M5 definitely make it sound quite difference than his old NA V8 M3, more subdued but still rorty.  

Older M3/M5s still quite a lot to buy and definitely to run compared to the V6/V8 and supercharged Jags. Most of these older Natually Aspirated and Supercharged engine drink like fishes, neighbour with M3 could empty the tank in less than 200 miles, ouch! His XKR not much better.

Long time since I had a car that could fishtail power slide in the dry.  One good thing in winter (on petrol cars) that fuel consumption tends top improve as you just cannot get the power down and, if sensible, drive slower for the conditions. God it is going to be a long winter here.

Forgot to add it's an automatic too so even less control.

• Like 1

Long time since I had a car that could fishtail power slide in the dry. One good thing in winter (on petrol cars) that fuel consumption tends top improve as you just cannot get the power down and, if sensible, drive slower for the conditions. God it is going to be a long winter here.

I always got way higher consumption in the winter. RWD + snow = so much fun!

Fwd + snow = boring, so that got me same consumption, apart from the cold starts.

• Like 1

I was initially worried about driving the DSG in snow but I have to say it actually offers more control. Easier to get moving when it's slippy and the option of manually changing gear gives you the same control as a manual but with much quicker shifts when you need it.

I did struggle to get up the hill at my mums house though... had my foot to the floor, wheels spinning with traction control keeping the revs down just crawling up. Dieseldarren was behind in his Octavia 2.0 TDI sport with winter tyres on and just drove up the hill wondering what all the fuss was about! lol

Yeah the old one was a V10 and the new one is a twin turbo V8.