Navigation Data Update available

Not everybody has unlimited data allowances and could be hit for substantial charges. WiFi is also not standard across all models.

So provide an alternative for those but lets use the most effective means as the prime method.  It seems if everybody is downloading the data anyway so you have to cover that somehow, enable calling home to a nominated IP and all updates including nav databases could take place overnight.  The tech is out there i  mean even F*** are doing it:

"Sync 3 infotainment system equipped Ford cars can stay update to the latest with the Microsoft's reliable and easier software downloads, which is an unrivaled smart process compared to its previous way of downloading Sync updates to USB thumb drive and then again updating it manually through dashboard."

http://www.automotive-technology.com/articles/id/better-driving-experience

or

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-01-25/those-pesky-software-updates-now-coming-to-a-car-near-you

Edited by Bud
  • Like 1

So provide an alternative for those but lets use the most effective means as the prime method.  It seems if everybody is downloading the data anyway so you have to cover that somehow, enable calling home to a nominated IP and all updates including nav databases could take place overnight.  The tech is out there i  mean even F*** are doing it:

"Sync 3 infotainment system equipped Ford cars can stay update to the latest with the Microsoft's reliable and easier software downloads, which is an unrivaled smart process compared to its previous way of downloading Sync updates to USB thumb drive and then again updating it manually through dashboard."

http://www.automotive-technology.com/articles/id/better-driving-experience

or

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-01-25/those-pesky-software-updates-now-coming-to-a-car-near-you

Totally agree! My car has the basic Wifi......but what to use it for I do not know! Can anyone shed light on this? I understand that if I had paid for the in car Premium WiFi and SIM card option, I could make the car a hotspot for any devices in the car so they could use my cars SIM data plan etc. But without the SIM, the option is practically useless, a bit like Smartgate which was the biggest waste of money if ever there was one! Yes I paid for the option, but can I get it to work? NOPE, not even with a recommended Mobile device! 

As for updating the Nav map or in car software, via WiFi would seem to be the most straight forward option as WiFi is readily available to most. A "Simply Clever" idea if ever there was one no? If not an option (like in some models), the SD card route or dealership visit would also be available. Hell, the dealers would love it as downloading the maps each and every time (1 x per VIN #) not only takes time, but the uploading also takes time and time is what most dealers don't have enough of!

I have a mate who regularly streams music in his car from his local McDonalds High speed O2 WiFI. I have no idea if he can download map etc in his car, but at 200+ mb/s at my local McD's, its a damn site faster than my paltry (though fast enough for me) 50mb/s, though why my map update has been downloading at 997kb/s for the last 5hrs is any ones guess! Lets see how the rest of the process goes in the morning, the included Downloader has spent the last hour trying to (it still may be I'm not sure) format my SD card to FAT32 so I'm gonna leave it going all night to see if it gets it done......heres hoping

So, I went to update my map, here's a wee story all about it.

The Map downloaded in 7 hours, downloader refused to format SD card to anything so I unpacked/extracted the map to a folder on my laptop, formatted the card to NTFS using Windoze 10, moved the two extracted folders and text file to the SD card and brought it to the car. Clicked update in car and all is now well.

So, info to note;

1. The downloader is needed only to get the updated map.

2. Windows can extract the Zip file.

3. Use Windows to format the card to NTFS. (downloader states it must be FAT32 but NTFS works just fine).

4. Transfer the two extracted folders and text file to your 32gb min SD Card.

5. Take card to car and update map. (I didn't put keys in, just pressed the on button on the Nav, waited for it to start, clicked update and then locked the car).

The only frustrating bit about the whole thing was the slow download average speed of 978kbs! I get 50mbs so the long wait was a pain in the arse.

Hope this little guide helps a few out as I spent ages trying to find an SD card formatter which worked on Windoze 10! Just stick with NTFS as it works just fine.

Edited by blahde2

Hi,  I took delivery of my Superb on Friday and I have since discovered that the Amundsen sat nav came without the original Skoda sd card.  No real problem as I'll call the dealership and arrange for them to send me it next week.  I have since downloaded and extracted the latest update onto a 32gb sd card in preparation for when I receive the Skoda sd card.  Anyway, am I right in thinking that I need the original Skoda sd card before I can use the sat nav?

Cheers...

Anyway, am I right in thinking that I need the original Skoda sd card before I can use the sat nav?

I'm sorry to say that you're right - without an official Skoda SD card it won't work. A bit braindead if you ask me considering that updates are now free.

In the meantime if you're desperate for navigation you can use CarPlay or Android Auto.

• 1 year later...

I've been trying to do the map update on my Superb 3, MY17 with Columbus infotainment centre - without success!

I downloaded the file HIGH12_P166_EU_2018.zip from Skoda's update portal. On my Mac I unzipped it to  an SD card formatted to MS-DOS (using linix commands from the terminal, as well as Finder unzip).

I inserted the SD card into the car's slot and went through the process of Navigation => Settings => Version info (it's 2017/18) => Update from SD Card.

After quite a long time (varies from minutes to over half an hour)  the "Searching for software updates" message is replaced by "Error: no data available. Please insert a source with software update data or check the source."

I've tried a few variants (reformatting the SD card for example) but still get the same result. I have also checked the VIN for the download matches the car.

Can anyone help please?

Not an expert on Mac's however I'm sure that they put odd characters into the files which need to be taken out, I'm sure that one of the Mac users will be on later who will be able to explain it better and help you. 

On 13/05/2018 at 18:57, keble6 said:

I've been trying to do the map update on my Superb 3, MY17 with Columbus infotainment centre - without success!

I downloaded the file HIGH12_P166_EU_2018.zip from Skoda's update portal. On my Mac I unzipped it to  an SD card formatted to MS-DOS (using linix commands from the terminal, as well as Finder unzip).

I inserted the SD card into the car's slot and went through the process of Navigation => Settings => Version info (it's 2017/18) => Update from SD Card.

After quite a long time (varies from minutes to over half an hour)  the "Searching for software updates" message is replaced by "Error: no data available. Please insert a source with software update data or check the source."

I've tried a few variants (reformatting the SD card for example) but still get the same result. I have also checked the VIN for the download matches the car.

Can anyone help please?

I use Linux and it works fine.  However, I put it on a USB stick and plugged that in.  Apparently, it also works if you plug in an external USB disk drive.

On 5/13/2018 at 18:57, keble6 said:

Can anyone help please?

You could try sending a PM to Billyjim on here who is a Mac user and ask for his help.

Thanks for the replies. I did find that step by step guide and I have been following it.

I'm going to try again today. I suspect I may have not kept the Columbus on the Navy screen all the time.

What message do you see when it is actually syncing the new maps?

11 hours ago, keble6 said:

Thanks for the replies. I did find that step by step guide and I have been following it.

I'm going to try again today. I suspect I may have not kept the Columbus on the Navy screen all the time.

What message do you see when it is actually syncing the new maps?

You shouldn't have to leave the nav screen on, in fact you can stop the car and when you restart it will pick up where it was when you stopped.

I'm pretty sure that the Mac leaves unwanted files on the card, you will have to eliminate them to make it work.

On 15/05/2018 at 18:56, facet edge said:

You shouldn't have to leave the nav screen on, in fact you can stop the car and when you restart it will pick up where it was when you stopped.

I'm pretty sure that the Mac leaves unwanted files on the card, you will have to eliminate them to make it work.

Latest update: I've done a whole bunch of experiments, including removing those hidden files that a Mac leaves behind. I used this bash command from a Mac Terminal app:

rm -rf .[^.] .??*

Well, it still doesn't work.

I am now going to have to resort to my daughter's Windows PC. I'll report back!

8 hours ago, MarkUk63 said:

Now saying next update August 2018 was June for next map update.

Interesting, thanks.

Well the download onto a Windows PC worked straight away. I am now updated on the car to ECE 2018.

When I looked at the Mac-unzipped files on the SD card there were still some "hidden" files. So my efforts to remove them were not enough. 

Some further digging seems to show that it is possible to prevent these hidden files on a Mac, but the long and short of it implies that the Columbus unit is not engineered well for Mac users.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, keble6 said:

Interesting, thanks.

Well the download onto a Windows PC worked straight away. I am now updated on the car to ECE 2018.

When I looked at the Mac-unzipped files on the SD card there were still some "hidden" files. So my efforts to remove them were not enough. 

Some further digging seems to show that it is possible to prevent these hidden files on a Mac, but the long and short of it implies that the Columbus unit is not engineered well for Mac users.

Or, alternatively, that Macs nowadays are doing weird stuff like Windows used to which makes simple file transfers like this harder than they should be ;)

(Mac & Windows user :) )

It's just a matter of using the right app to clean your SD card of Mac additions. I use CleanMyDrive 2, which was free from Apple's download site, I believe.  You have to trust that the app does what it says it does, and eject immediately. As soon as you open it in the Finder, additional files are added.

1 hour ago, freelunch said:

It's just a matter of using the right app to clean your SD card of Mac additions. I use CleanMyDrive 2, which was free from Apple's download site, I believe.  You have to trust that the app does what it says it does, and eject immediately. As soon as you open it in the Finder, additional files are added.

Not just Finder! I kept away from that, but I had to eject the card after everything else was done.

I couldn't do that from the command line (not sure why). So I used Disk Utils.

And lo and behold there was a .Spotlight file and one or two others.

Mac can be such a pain at times...

CleanMyDrive was flagged by somebody as a known malware once.

2 hours ago, keble6 said:

CleanMyDrive was flagged by somebody as a known malware once.

I would hope you would be okay downloading from the Apple website...

I would sooner trust Apple than "somebody".

Edited by freelunch

23 minutes ago, freelunch said:

I would hope you would be okay downloading from the Apple website...

I would sooner trust Apple than "somebody".

See this on an apple discussions site: "It is considered malware by many experience users on these forums. OS X does not require any cleaning, antivirus or third party maintenance apps. All that is needed to keep OS X safe is a little common sense"

So I am wary of "free" utilities. I seem to remember that it is hard to uninstall too.

Are you sure that Apple themselves host it?

https://macpaw.com/cleanmydrive

This is the distributor's site, or it's available via Apple's App Store download. I used it a year ago to clean my SD card before uploading new maps to my Columbus Sat/Nav. It worked perfectly and I have had no adverse effects.

You can decide if it's right for you.

On ‎24‎-‎5‎-‎2018 at 09:48, MarkUk63 said:

Now saying next update August 2018 was June for next map update.

And now that's changed to November ... if they keep this up the next one will be after my 3 years of free upgrades expire!           8-(

Regards, Louis.