very poor mpg vrs tdi dsg

Im getting constantly 40-42mpg from my vRS TDI DSG. Very disappointed indeed.
My normal driving to work is 12miles 50mph and 3 miles city speed limits. Same route morning/evening.
Should be getting something like 48-50mpg. Maybe I should have bought vRS TSI..

I wonder if the combination between (i) your location (ii) time of year (iii) new tight engine (iv) short journey and (v) slower time for a diesel to warm up is all contributing to that level of mpg.

I bet in the summer months and a longer run you will get 10% more.

TSI would be returning sub 30mpg I bet.

• Like 1

Thank god i thought i was imagining things..my year 2015 vrs diesel reading 28.7average ..i know im a small mileage driver and its mainly in the city..but so let down that am going back petrol and hello Vrs 230..well in a couple of months when delivered...ps..current car is only 7200kms old..no doubt i will be told takes a while for engine to bed in..but seriously my mk3 1.2tsi hatch was giving me only 30mpg on same driving.i suppose its relative to how heavy the right foot is..and are the miles/km city or motorway..otherwise all told great car.Probably low mileage really does rubberstamp petrol over diesel.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Are you getting constant DPF regens? When SWMBO drives the car to work (6 miles each way on "country roads") when I'm working from home (like between Christmas and new year) we get 24-26mpg, constant regens and a loss of power until I get a good run.

My old mk1 vrs Fabia wasn't brilliant on the same driving as it also didn't get properly warm but I used to get low to mid 30s on that journey, again tank to tank. The only reason I can think is the lack of dpf.

Before anyone asks my car is a 2013 tdi vrs manual with 27k miles on the clock so it should be well run in and it replaced a 2006 mk1 Fabia vrs tdi manual with 55k miles.

Edited by gullyg
  • Like 1

My long term average is 5.9l/100 km (46.3mpg) calculated by keeping records of amount of fuel and odometer reading (for interest this equates to a cost of 7.2cents per km).

One thing I have noticed is the diesel takes around 10km to be fully warmed up (going by the oil temperature) so in this distance in have noticed that the fuel consumption reading is slightly higher. For my driving style the Eco mode didn't give any extra range so I just leave it in normal mode.

I started a thread about the same issue. My long term is just under 38mpg. Does seem to be getting better with a few more miles on it.

It's annoying though, i don't mean from cost because on a Santander 123 card my last fill up was 43 quid. It's that you can buy much faster cars that don't use much more fuel. I have a mate with a BMW 235 and he gets in the 40s on a run and that's got over 300ps. Not only 184

• Like 1

It really does take some careful and smooth driving to get good results from the tdi. Did a round trip of over 50 miles last night and managed 54 on the FCD. I've done the same route without my Hypermiling head on and it's easy to see less than 40.

Keep your speed down, revs low and make the very most of the eco coasting mode.

I started a thread about the same issue. My long term is just under 38mpg. Does seem to be getting better with a few more miles on it.

It's annoying though, i don't mean from cost because on a Santander 123 card my last fill up was 43 quid. It's that you can buy much faster cars that don't use much more fuel. I have a mate with a BMW 235 and he gets in the 40s on a run and that's got over 300ps. Not only 184

That's how feel too. My last car was a 2006 2.2cdti Honda with 140bhp. I averaged around 45mpg in 80k or so that I had it. Coming to a newer more modern car (albeit more powerful) with more tech like stop start and such I was at least hoping to match the mpg.

Instead I am getting less.

I've run a 61 plate vRS TDi DSG that has now got 82k and been getting around 48mpg on various journeys. I can easily get 52-53 doing a 29 mile run to work but half of that is along an average speed camera route, but this does include a lot of roundabouts. On a few runs to Glasgow (I live in Notts), I have managed an average of just over 60 by sticking to the motorway speed limits (mainly!).

For an auto, I think this is fairly good to be honest. The car is a response car fitted with covert blue lights and on a blue light run, I have not seen the average mpg drop below 30. A few of my colleagues have diesel cars and complain about the fuel economy (Insignias, Mondeos, Avensis) particularly when pushing them hard. The car is my own and not a lease so tend to look after it on blue light runs.

Awaiting delivery of a new vRS 4x4 which is also DSG as not had any issues with my current car (bar a slight knock on the DSG that was identified as a faulty Mechatronic ECU and changed under warranty).

I've driven a lot of cars due to my job and have to say that the Skoda may not be the best on fuel but very close to the top of the list from my experience. As some other posts have highlighted, ignore the claimed mpg as they are vastly optimistic!

The EU Governments wanted Green and Peoples Health is better with Green & Environmentally Friendly Vehicles.

So the Euro 4, then Euro 5 (&5.5-6) & now Euro 6 Emissions get introduced.

The Emissions under old fashioned EU Tests managed to appear lower, in a Building on a Rolling Road.

While the Vehicles are supposedly using less fuel as well.

Only thing is the Diesels as Volkswagen Group manage to design them look Economical on fuel, 

just dont factor in Regenerations that were never happening under EU Tests inside on a Rolling Road.

So the long and short is that VW Group Engines are World Resources Wasters while Owners get Lower Taxes (VED).

*Or did!*,  Now VW are going to be paying back what the Governments where cheated out of.

Funnily BMW have heavier and more powerful diesels and they use less fuel and still got the 

Euro 4, 5 & 6 thing sorted.

http://skoda.co.uk/pages/fuel-consumption-statement.aspx

Supposedly just to compare vehicles, 'For Comparison Purposes', not real world, but actually there is more to it than that.

BMW, Mercedes & VW (Seat, Audi, Skoda.)

all German Based (owned) Companies and yet so different in what their Engine Designers can achieve.

Edited by GoneOffskiroottoot

I have a diesel vRS and I can say it is sensitive to driving style. I can easily push my mpg down to the 30's as well as up into the 60's (68.1 best for the 60 mile daily commute).

Being a diesel it'll never do well in any journey less than 10miles or so. It can do well in a city, often I travel through Cambridge at busy times and I can keep my mpg well into the 50's on such journeys - the stop /start system takes a while to get used to but does work well.

There is an argument to be had a to whether a vrs should be driven economically but, on congested commutes I have little choice. Back off from the car in front, avoid unnecessary braking, use engine braking and you'll see the mpg shoot up.

• Like 1

I wonder if the combination between (i) your location (ii) time of year (iii) new tight engine (iv) short journey and (v) slower time for a diesel to warm up is all contributing to that level of mpg.

I bet in the summer months and a longer run you will get 10% more.

TSI would be returning sub 30mpg I bet.

In my experience of VAG diesel engines, they loosen up properly from about 20k miles and would agree with all the points you have made. Roll on the warmer weather!

@ gullyg yes get aq lot of regens..but have to be honest i think for city driving and lowish annual mileage petrol really is the one to go for...no complaint about car/power etc..just regens /having to clear the dpf by going for a wee spin can be inconvenient thats all..but glad got the diesel vrs as it certainly is a nice car to be in.

Mine is a Tdi DSG estate with just over 20k on it, average economy over the last 2500 miles is 46.8 which I'm fine with.

Mixed driving, a bit of round town but mostly fast A roads and M ways with a couple of longer runs thrown in.

Economy has improved over what I was getting when brand new, it's not vastly more economical, it just appears easier to achieve economy if required.

I'm not the quickest driver in the world but I'm no slouch either, to be honest, if fuel economy is going to be a major concern then a vRS whether it's petrol or diesel probably isn't a wise choice...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a diesel vRS and I can say it is sensitive to driving style. I can easily push my mpg down to the 30's as well as up into the 60's (68.1 best for the 60 mile daily commute).

Being a diesel it'll never do well in any journey less than 10miles or so. It can do well in a city, often I travel through Cambridge at busy times and I can keep my mpg well into the 50's on such journeys - the stop /start system takes a while to get used to but does work well.

+1

The pedal mapping & engine calibration of the vRS is quite agressive (as you'd expect).

You have to be quite careful driving to get to 60s but it's definately possible.

Edited by Gabbo

From the above report it is interesting that the modern diesel consumption appears to be detrimentally affected by short urban journeys almost as much as petrol engines

Must be something to do with all the pollution reduction gear (if it is not software suppressed that is).

My old mk2 1.9d seemed to take 20 km to fully warm up but consumption was more than good even directly after a cold start if driven lightly.

With my current 1.4tsi the first kilometre averages about 8.5 L/100 and then improves dramatically from there. The 1.9d would do the same km at about 5.5 L/100 but obviously not so dramatic consumption improvement thereafter (no DPF fitted)

I get warm air out of the heater vent after a few hundred metres on the petrol, the 1.9d took 3.5 km.

Edited by Gerrycan

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 1.6 TDI DSG, which returned just under 24MPG for the last fuel-up. I am a low mileage driver - about 10 miles a day. During the last one month, I used the Webasto every working day, twice a day for about 20 minutes each time. The temperature was usually 10 to 15 degrees below 0. I also noticed frequent regens, Is 24MPG what I should expect in these circumstances? Long term average (over about 6K miles) stands at about 47 MPG.

It sounds pretty good really for the conditions you are using it in, 

and overall very good if you got an average of 47mpg there must be times or quite high MPG.

Pity about the regens using so much fuel,

then you will need to see what difference to the cars performance after you have 'the fix' if you are putting it on for that.

• Like 1

It sounds pretty good really for the conditions you are using it in, 

and overall very good if you got an average of 47mpg there must be times or quite high MPG.

Pity about the regens using so much fuel,

then you will need to see what difference to the cars performance after you have 'the fix' if you are putting it on for that.

We did 2700 miles over the summer where the car returned nearly 58MPG. That has really helped the overall average.

What is "the fix" that you have mentioned?

I have a 14 plate 1.6 tdi with dsg gearbox best I've had is 64mpg at a steady 55mph but most of the time average between 49-53mpg average 200-300 miles a week

That 64mpg figure is about as high as I've ever had.

I first read this post just after I got my VRS so was a little worried, but driving "quick" I am getting around 53 mpg but if I take things easy then I can easily get into the 60+ mpg.   The best I have got on my usual 30 mile commute to work was 67.9 mpg (on the trip computer).

Now, I understand that the computer is not accurate, but based on my fill-up calculations, it's actually very close. About -1.5 mpg.

Shawn

All interesting stuff, I'm getting Skoda to test my 14 plate 2.0 TDi 4x4 as MPG has gone through the floor recently. I used to get 48-50 driving at 75 ish on the motorway and 46 or above around town and country lanes. Last night it was a struggle to hit 42 mpg on a steady speed 50 mile all on a quiet M4 run from Heathrow at about 10 pm.

Brussels and back last weekend with one other passenger and a few bags managed no more than 43 mpg over circa 700 miles again at 70-75.

Interestingly the issue really popped up when it was serviced last, which identified a Haldex system without any oil in it - maybe be a link or might just be coincidence.

Interesting thread this coming from a manual tdi-140 Passat estate to the dsg Scout.

One thing I noticed straight away is that in my opinion the dsg

Settings are just wrong in standard & sport modes!

Standard mode on light throttle runs thriugh the gears at far too low revs so that when a bit of nippy acceleration is needed you have to either "kick down" in the standard setting or give the gearstick a flip into sport mode. These engines are not at their best pulling between

10-1500 revs the fuel called for acceleration is just wasted.

But then sport mode revs far too highly! It also misses a large proportion of the most efficient economical Rev range of c 18-2500 and takes the diesel engine into a 3500-5000 range far too easily.

Imo,Sport mode is set up for petrol engine power banding, not diesel!

!

Anyone played with the personal setting that we can tweak ourselves. Must find the time to explore!

• Like 1

My GTD returned about 48mpg on its last tank.

My 150 TDI Octavia doing lots of short runs nothing like...about 41.5/42.

Time of year and winter grade diesel isnt helping...both cars are far better in warmer months but still get nothing near the OEM figures.

Edited by pipsypreturns

My 150 TDI Octavia doing lots of short runs nothing like...about 41.5/42.

I think your Octavia consumption with lots of short runs in winter is truly exceptional.

If its your wife's car then she is doing very well, dare I say relatively better than you are in the GTD?