Ear ache & Nausea !

Took delivery of my Mk3 Octy last week and every time I'm driving the car within 5 minutes I get earache and the feeling of build up of pressure in my ears which is then followed by feeling sick. The cabin is quite noisy with a bit of the boom others have discussed but it's not that bad but there is a lot of road rumble especially from the rear end and boot area.

I'm going to put some dampening mats and insulation in the boot area to see if it helps but does anyone have any ideas/thoughts on this ?

Thanks

Took delivery of my Mk3 Octy last week and every time I'm driving the car within 5 minutes I get earache and the feeling of build up of pressure in my ears which is then followed by feeling sick. The cabin is quite noisy with a bit of the boom others have discussed but it's not that bad but there is a lot of road rumble especially from the rear end and boot area.

I'm going to put some dampening mats and insulation in the boot area to see if it helps but does anyone have any ideas/thoughts on this ?

Thanks

Interesting, I'm sure others on here are more informed than me on the boom issues. But out of curiosity what tyres do you have.? Mine came with continental eco 5 premium and there the loudest tyre I have ever had the displeasure of owning. I have had goodyears in the past and are way more quiet.

I found the Skoda boot mat helped, also check the tyre pressures the garage I bought mine from did not PDI the car properly and it still had delivery pressures in as well as one transport block. As for cabin noise I believe most of it is lack of bulkhead insulation and wind noise from the wing mirrors.

Edited by Alpha2110
  • Like 1

Happens to me when the wife's riding shot gun, when she not there all is fine  ;)

That's got to be a warranty issue - reject as not fit for purpose  :notme:

Adam, have you tried cracking the NSF passenger window to check it's not air pressure?

Gaz

Definitely quite a lot of road noise in the Octavia 3. More than my 8th gen Accord and that was quite loud.

Mines only an SE on 16" Michelins. The VRs must be well noisy.

I get the ear pressure thing as well although I don't have the boom that other folks have issues with, I've also a 1.2 TSI hatch. Skoda told me to call into my dealer and see what they have to but I've never experienced anything like it in over 25 years driving and if I can't get it resolved I'll be getting rid of the car and won't go near a Skoda again. One thing that does help is if you don't close the boot properly so that it just closes on the latch but isn't completely shut, seems to make the problem go away so have a go at adjusting the boot fixings.

• Like 1

Definitely quite a lot of road noise in the Octavia 3. More than my 8th gen Accord and that was quite loud.

I don't find mine noisy but then I used to have a 3 series m sport on run flats.....they're noisy!

Think both hatch and estate are equally afflicted. Mercifully (touch wood) my VRS estate is absolutely fine and running Bridgestone Potenzas, the road noise is perfectly acceptable, it's no noisier than my previous Golf mk4. The link referenced above is well versed with potential remedies as this has been quite a common ailment for those unlucky to receive a car that suffers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

At first I also noticed it, but only on some roads. Mine is on 19's. When I switched to the winters (17's) it doesn't seem to happen.

So its either tyre/wheel related, goes once everything beds it or I've become immune to it.

But yes I didn't notice it on the test drive and in my car it was very uncomfortable.

I don't think anyone has fully managed to cure the air pressure differential problem. Some have found little adjustments that have helped, but it doesn't always help every car. It is one of those things that nobody seems sure of the cause or remedy.

My car thankfully hasn't caused any problems for my ears, and I am more than happy with it, but it is one of the reasons I wouldn't touch another Octy. Just in case I got one with this problem.

As skodaphille says, all the information you need is in the thread:

http://www.briskoda....-boom-in-cabin/

This has been open for 1.5years & is not specific to a model type or tyre brand.

It just seems like bad luck if you get one.

There are many things which can improve the behaviour. thick mats, adding the jack foam & jack, new tailgate stops etc but there is no "definitive" fix from Skoda.

To the OP I would take the car straight back to the dealer.

Log your complaint with them ASAP & refuse to take the answer "This is not a known issue" which will likely be their first answer..

With all new cars you have to give the dealer "reasonable chance" to rectify the fault but as many have found it may not be possible.

I would tell the dealer from the start that unless it is completely fixed you want to reject the car from the outset.

This is a longstanding known issue which Skoda have ignored.

It is quite a shame such a great car is spoilt by something like this & they are still producing cars 2years later with this problem.

As with JungleJames, I would be very relucant to buy another Octavia because of this.

Edited by Gabbo
  • Like 1

Mine also an SE on 16" rims.  Had Dunlop's on the front & Goodyear's on the rear. Incredibly noisy on all but smooth surfaces and felt every pothole.

Now have Michelin Cross Climates on the front and Dunlop's moved to the rear. Big reduction in road noise, so once the Dunlop's wear out they'll be replaced with the CC's.

It's a real shame that the car has poor sound insulation, it spoils a really good car. For all those people who think this is a vw and audi for a lower price, this is the reason. A little bit of quality here and the adds up to a significant difference.

This is the only real disappointment I have with the car, I have learnt to live with the gearbox. Unfortunately I paid cash for my car as I usually keep my cars for a long time. I don't think I'll be keeping this more than a year or two.

I drove a Seat Leon for a week, the noise on poor road surfaces in that was horrendous - I thought a wheel bearing had gone it was that loud!

Build quality on that particular car was awful, a 64 plate and all the door edge seals were dropping off, it rattled from everywhere, and the stereo was awful - a really 'boomy' bass even with the all the EQ set to zero - it was hitting a resonant frequency that made it impossible to listen to at any decent volume level.

I think I'm getting this too although it could be the power of suggestion from reading these threads. :)

I don't have the boom, and the car is generally quieter than the Fabia I had before, but I just start to feel a bit peculiar in the ears/head after driving for a few minutes.

I'm driving quite far tomorrow to visit my parents so will experiment with the window if/when I start to feel any discomfort.

Do you have the CC running? I found in my Saab that if the aircon/CC was off, there was no through ventilation. The whole ventilation system was designed around the CC running, even at a very low level. The automatic control worked brilliantly and I find the Octavia CC similarly effective (on my 1.4TSi SE as well as the current vRS).

Interested to read the comparison to the Leon, SWMBOs 2013 Leon FR180TSI with DSG rides and drives sooo much better than my O3, they were registered new only 3 weeks apart, my O3 does not suffer with the Boom or pressure issues but poor ride quality from suspension has been the major let down that has pushed us to alternative brands. I specifically sought out a Leon for SWMBO spec'd with IRS, hence minimum 180 bhp was required! As for myself, decided to go down the route of used premium marque rather than sticking with another new Skud.

• Like 1