What bulbs are fitted to the S3 & upgraded bulb recommendations

They look the same and AIUI there are only two shapes that are used in VAG cars (and they are a totally different shape)

Just check it is legal in Australia to show a white light when opening the door as I’m sure in the UK it has to be red.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, New2018 said:

Personal preference would be to keep the red/white split… not even sure if rearward facing white door lights has legal implications?

Anyway, they should “fit”, but they look identical to the crap ones I tried so they might not fit that well and have really bad banding/diffusion. Give them a try a let us know.

8 minutes ago, MartiniB said:

@New2018

why ignore previous posts? there are all pictures and links you need

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/For-VW-Golf-5-Golf-6-MK5-MK6-Passat-CC-B6-B7-Tiguan-VW-LED-door/32358900702.html

@MartiniB I didn’t, Infact I looked at your guide very closely. It just the links in your post never worked for me, took me to the homepage and when I tried searching for them all I got was the lights with logo on them.

Thank you very much for the new link, worked fine this time. 

Edited by New2018

17 minutes ago, New2018 said:

Thank you very much for the new link, worked fine this time. 

thanks, added new link to first post about front doors,

but second, about rear doors, contained it already

sadly, i can't change older posts here

• 4 weeks later...

I bought 3 sets of these to replace the boot, glove and footwell lights. I managed to replace the boots  without any problems but the glovebox and footwell aren’t going in into to the slot. They seem like their 1/2 mm too big. I nearly broke my finger trying to squeeze them in. Any more force and ill probably break them. 

Anyone had a similar problem? I’m confused as that’s why the fits the boots but not the glovebox and footwell lights brackets.

https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/tK5SeXJ

1 hour ago, New2018 said:

I bought 3 sets of these to replace the boot, glove and footwell lights. I managed to replace the boots  without any problems but the glovebox and footwell aren’t going in into to the slot. They seem like their 1/2 mm too big. I nearly broke my finger trying to squeeze them in. Any more force and ill probably break them. 

Anyone had a similar problem? I’m confused as that’s why the fits the boots but not the glovebox and footwell lights brackets.

Something to note - I had some that certainly look the same and they would cause intermittent fault with the locking system - the Maxidot would flash a picture of the car thinking the boot was open. It also seemed to allow a slow discharge of the battery. Turned out these lights are wired to work connected either way round, the official ones have a diode in that means the don't allow current to flow backwards round the system and the plugs are shaped to only allow them to be connected correctly. Adding this diode into these lights fixed the problem.

16 hours ago, New2018 said:

I bought mine from superskoda (look identical to the ones you’ve bought) and like you I found the boot ones fitted fine but the glovebox was never going to fit without some modification to the hole. I sorted it last night: lower the glove box by pressing the two buttons at the top and releasing the guide arm on the left hand side. This will give you room to work. Remove the old light and keep the wiring out the way. Using a sharp stanly knife cut towards the right an extra 4mm front and back. Very carefully score a line between these (go over it about 3 times and it will eventually go through fairly easy) and remove the small bit of plastic. It should now fit ok. 

On 05/10/2018 at 17:53, Kamikazekid said:

I bought mine from superskoda (look identical to the ones you’ve bought) and like you I found the boot ones fitted fine but the glovebox was never going to fit without some modification to the hole. I sorted it last night: lower the glove box by pressing the two buttons at the top and releasing the guide arm on the left hand side. This will give you room to work. Remove the old light and keep the wiring out the way. Using a sharp stanly knife cut towards the right an extra 4mm front and back. Very carefully score a line between these (go over it about 3 times and it will eventually go through fairly easy) and remove the small bit of plastic. It should now fit ok. 

Thanks for that, that did the trick.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought W5W led bulbs for the estate door and the drivers doors from Amazon and they will not fit because the led diameter is too big to go into the holder, so be careful. Why did I order these when there are links on this site, well I either find the links do not go through or when using aliexpress it is in dollars and I can not seem to be able to register. 

Anyone else have canbus issues when foglight bulbs were replaced? I purchased a set of 'canbus error free' bulbs from aliexpress but I'm getting errors. Contacted the seller and they sent a replacement but I'm still getting errors. Don't know if it's just the seller selling the wrong bulbs, can't be much else I suppose...?

@Apexor Please post a link to the bulbs in Aliexpress to see what type they are. 

Mine work perfectly and i have no issues with errors for them. If you want i will post a link to mine - which are 4300 Kelvins - exactly the same color temp like the xenons (as the others 6000K - are more blueish compared to the xenons)

Thanks simichoil, please find link below. Do you have a link to the set that you purchased by any chance?More blueish indeed but didn't bother me and much better than the originals.

https://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/0.html?spm=a2g0s.9042647.6.2.931b4c4dIRIO5L&orderId=93453498771888&productId=32849475261

Edited by Apexor

35 minutes ago, Apexor said:

Anyone else have canbus issues when foglight bulbs were replaced? I purchased a set of 'canbus error free' bulbs from aliexpress but I'm getting errors. Contacted the seller and they sent a replacement but I'm still getting errors. Don't know if it's just the seller selling the wrong bulbs, can't be much else I suppose...?

Try these...

https://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/h8-twenty20-cree-led-12v-canbus-foglight-bulb.html

• Like 1

@Apexor Now i see thy you have errors  - these are only 4 Watts.

The ones that i ordered are : Led bulbs - Claimed to be 52 Watts (both) - so 26 Watts each bulb. 

I do not know if there are real values - but they work great - the light beam is very strong - much stronger than the original ones - and the light is 1:1 as a color - with the xenons. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I’d add my recommendations here, as I’ve had my choice of front bulbs fitted a while with good results and no bad reactions (oncoming drivers flashing their lights etc). Links and video at the bottom

Firstly I fitted my AFS headlights with “Philips Xenon X-treme Vision gen2” bulbs. These bulbs are brilliant. They are ever so slightly whiter than the standard bulbs but I’d say they look about 40-50% brighter in the “real world” - meaning that I haven’t tested them in terms of lux but they are visually far better than standard, and far better than the “Osram Cool Blue Intense” bulbs that everybody raves about. I did buy the CBI bulbs and bought the Philips within a few weeks because I personally think Osram focus on improving the colour rather than light output (the higher the kelvin, generally the lower the lux). They just didn’t perform. When I fitted the Philips bulbs I was impressed by the difference.

More recently I decided to upgrade my cornering fog lights to proper LED bulbs with drivers. I had these fitted as full beam bulbs on my old Megane and they were insane, but they were Philips LumiLED bulbs which were £120 per pair and didn’t want to spend that again. I took a gamble and bought the hilariously long named “Win Power H11 H8 H9 CREE LED Headlight Bulbs All-in-One Conversion Kit Replacement Lamps 6000K Xenon White 12V Car 2Pcs” from Amazon. These bulbs are VERY bright and are excellent for the price, but beware of the bulb positioning - there are 2 possible positions for each bulb - I’ve found that if you fit them so that they are angled upwards towards the middle of the car (so they sit like this from the front  /                \  )this provides a good beam pattern for low-spreading cornering fogs.

[Edit: These LED bulbs don’t glare in people’s faces, they shine down at the ground. They are a good match for the Philips xenon bulbs above in terms of colour. They also fit fine without touching the washer fluid reservoir despite their large heat sinks/fans.]

Links to the bulbs:

Philips D3S bulbs expensive at £81.94 each but worth it imo:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-X-TremeVision-Headlight-vision-42403XV2C1/dp/B01MQ1STAH/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1541457538&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=philips+d3s+xtreme+vision&dpPl=1&dpID=51ROqpXFUfL&ref=plSrch

Amazon LED bulbs an absolute BARGAIN imo at £28.99:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B07G765DPX?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd_title

Demo video:

Edited by drewellis
added info about LEDs
  • Like 1

Hi guys - i have some thoughts in my head regarding the footwell lights. The original ones are LED - inside the "light box" - there is a small printed circuit board with a tiny SMD led - soldered. The led is somehow small and the light output is not so great. I tried with the replacement that we all use in the trunk (the ones from SuperSkoda and Aliexpress but the plastic cover is somehow bigger - and i need to make cuts on the front surroundings - which is not a problem. The rear are put in the metal bottom part of the front seats - facing the rear floor mats. This i cannot (honestly i can but i do not want) cut - as it is a metal surrounding. 

Any way - the PCB with the LED - has two small metal pins - which are used to make contact with the light connection. Has someone seen or found a way to upgrade a little bit this PCB ? Changing with a regular led bulb maybe ? The problem is that the new led bulb sockets - have to be used to connect to the original power supply. Later i will post a photo of the PCB itself.

Thanks in advance for the ideas and suggestions.

8 minutes ago, simichoil said:

Hi guys - i have some thoughts in my head regarding the footwell lights. The original ones are LED - inside the "light box" - there is a small printed circuit board with a tiny SMD led - soldered. The led is somehow small and the light output is not so great. I tried with the replacement that we all use in the trunk (the ones from SuperSkoda and Aliexpress but the plastic cover is somehow bigger - and i need to make cuts on the front surroundings - which is not a problem. The rear are put in the metal bottom part of the front seats - facing the rear floor mats. This i cannot (honestly i can but i do not want) cut - as it is a metal surrounding. 

Any way - the PCB with the LED - has two small metal pins - which are used to make contact with the light connection. Has someone seen or found a way to upgrade a little bit this PCB ? Changing with a regular led bulb maybe ? The problem is that the new led bulb sockets - have to be used to connect to the original power supply. Later i will post a photo of the PCB itself.

Thanks in advance for the ideas and suggestions.

I replace the bulbs with these led ones inside the original housing

20170119_200707.jpg

This housing is using halogen bulb - and changing with LED is easy - but the cars that are with LED footwell lights - use instead of halogen bulb - a PCB with a small LED assembled. It has 2 metal pins - soldered to the board.