What bulbs are fitted to the S3 & upgraded bulb recommendations

24 minutes ago, simichoil said:

This housing is using halogen bulb - and changing with LED is easy - but the cars that are with LED footwell lights - use instead of halogen bulb - a PCB with a small LED assembled. It has 2 metal pins - soldered to the board. 

Yes , sorry. The picture is from my trunk light. I didnt change footwell as they were already LED. You set them highest level and still not bright for you?

Footwell lights r not meant to b overpowering or bright.

Just enough to see with doors open, and just a background dim light while driving.

But u want brighter - so fill ur boots :)

In fact - the light coming from the halogen footwell is much stronger than the LED footwell. I have seen Superb 3V with halogen ones - the light is stronger - and not only that - it is somehow more diffused - while with the LED - the light is only strong just under the housing. On left and Right - it is very weak. I want in general to have the same light but on a more large area. Something like the boot led light - a plate wish several LEDs - but i will decrease the light - not to have a stronger light - but to have the same light spread on a larger area.

These are the housing and the PCB with the small LED.

Anyway - the small LED itself give less light than the standard halogen bulb - and this is the reason that i want to upgrade a little bit the light output.

And due to the different connection - the female power plug that powers the footwell is different. 

B2F180B7-4206-4D14-9B50-2A48014825CC.thumb.jpeg.88d1b2db614eae586fed16b92b0f1953.jpeg

93D651B2-C3FE-4B12-A87F-418A3AD8F552.thumb.jpeg.ffe72c07d7baf02429e87815068a38e9.jpeg

7B9C4A96-0DE2-4198-A2BD-47D4C26F3B0F.thumb.jpeg.82bfe385bc09fe72141c6b7b0429573f.jpeg

Edited by simichoil

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/08/2018 at 04:38, simichoil said:

@New2018 The ones for the turn signal you posted are not ok. Light is not strong enough compred to the original ones. Also with these you will have an error on the dash. I took these ones and they work like charm: 

http://s.aliexpress.com/eUR36nMN

Do these interfere with DAB radio reception, similar to other ones I've had from Aliexpress?

• 3 weeks later...

Hello guys!

I have configure my rear drl to flash along with the turn signals using vcds. So, now I want to remove the turing signal lights and just have my drls to be turning lights. Does anyone know if the system will give any error if i just remove turning signal bulbs?

For sure it will give you a warning for both missing bulbs. 

What is the reason to have a red turning signal using the regular rear lights ? If you want to have more simple outside look - you can still put red bulbs on the place of the current yellow (amber) ones. But i do not think it is a good idea to stay only with the rear red lights without the bulb, you can mislead the people behind you - there is a big chance that someone will not understand that you are actually giving a turn light. For me (personal opinion) - i do not like this mod - and i do not think it is OK.

2 hours ago, simichoil said:

For sure it will give you a warning for both missing bulbs. 

What is the reason to have a red turning signal using the regular rear lights ? If you want to have more simple outside look - you can still put red bulbs on the place of the current yellow (amber) ones. But i do not think it is a good idea to stay only with the rear red lights without the bulb, you can mislead the people behind you - there is a big chance that someone will not understand that you are actually giving a turn light. For me (personal opinion) - i do not like this mod - and i do not think it is OK.

I already ordered red LED turn signal bulb, so I just wanted to remove the yellow one temporarily while the bulb are being shipping.

This is how they look like now:

Coding is in the video description

Edited by axd1152

• 2 weeks later...

Please accept my apologies if I've missed an answer to my question (I did try searching)...

The lights at the bottom of the doors are a red (top) and white (bottom) and I was thinking of purchasing these:

www.superskoda.com/Skoda/SUPERB-III/Superb-III-MEGA-POWER-LED-door-safety-lights-WHITE-WHITE-KI-R

My question is, do they have to have the red as I rather like how clean the all white looks?

Many thanks

doesn't it depend on the motor authority rules and regulations in ur own country??

if its not required in ur country, for ur car door to have red lights/reflectors on the inside door - then u should no issues fitting the ones from SuperSkoda.

check the rule book.

i replaced mine with the Ghost lights from SuperSkoda - still has the red reflector bit.

IMAG2995.thumb.jpg.0f3977795926038cbc26f09e7731d6c9.jpg

Well said. I've tried searching for that already but I couldn't find anything however I'm not 100% sure I was searching the right thing.

I'm in the UK and can't see anything via the Highway Code or MoT check list... Hmmmm...

Many thanks

I’ve fitted the ghost “superb” ones at the front and white/white at the rear for extra light when getting the kids out in the dark. They look so much better than the original filament lamps. It looked odd before having cool while led interior lighting and yellow looking puddle lights when you open the doors. 

I did try the led white/red but found them to be more pink than red. 

I cant see it breaking any rules going for white/white as many cars don’t have them at all, especially in the back. Surely some light is better than no lights if the door is open and a car is coming towards it!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Kamikazekid said:

I’ve fitted the ghost “superb” ones at the front and white/white at the rear for extra light when getting the kids out in the dark. They look so much better than the original filament lamps. It looked odd before having cool while led interior lighting and yellow looking puddle lights when you open the doors. 

I did try the led white/red but found them to be more pink than red. 

I cant see it breaking any rules going for white/white as many cars don’t have them at all, especially in the back. Surely some light is better than no lights if the door is open and a car is coming towards it!

Thanks, that was what I was thinking.

I fancy upgrading the door lights (white / white) the boot light upgrade and something I never noticed until joining here the glovebox light (supposed to be a pain to do though).

Cheers

I’ve done them all. The boot lights are a massive upgrade! So much more light! The glove box is a bit of a pain but not too bad. I used one of the boot lights and carefully cut away some of the plastic with a stanly knife to make the hole bigger in the glovebox. The wiring was a bit of a pain too as the plug didn’t fit. I managed to modify some fly leads that came with some other lights to fit. If I remember correctly I think some red spade crimps should work if you use the really narrow ones. 

Edited by Kamikazekid
Spelling

I think the reason for the puddle lights shining a red light horizontally and a white light downwards is the UK vehicle construction and use regulations prohibit white lights shining to the rear.

In a worst case safety scenario opening a side door without looking/realising that a vehicle is passing from the rear I would definitely want the driver to see a red light and not a white one.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

I think the reason for the puddle lights shining a red light horizontally and a white light downwards is the UK vehicle construction and use regulations prohibit white lights shining to the rear.

In a worst case safety scenario opening a side door without looking/realising that a vehicle is passing from the rear I would definitely want the driver to see a red light and not a white one.

That makes complete sense and answers the question. Many thanks

They still look pink IMO, that coupled to the fact they are €80 + postage (minus any discount... 20% at the moment) was a step too far for me, so I thought it was worth the gamble of trying the ones above at just £4 delivered to do all 4 doors :o

(even today at just under £9 delivered they are a bargain)

• Thanks 1