Aldi demolition hammer

Aspman

https://www.aldi.co.uk/1700w-demolition-breaker/p/066252060198700

Anyone ever used on of these or any other electric one?

I've a rather stupid concrete path in the garden which goes no where and does nothing except make the grass harder to cut.

Sisters bloke offered to come round and take away the rubble with a tractor as he is getting a crusher to make hardcore for some houses he is building but I'd need to break it up.

Also got 4 drying poles I'd like to take out and replace with a rotary dryer and potentially they could have a lot of concrete on their bases.

Would be a big job with a sledge hammer but wondering if an electric hammer would be up to the task. Path could be a couple of feet thick in places.

It's £99 so too dear just to take a chance on.

Edited by Aspman

If it was me, with only one smallish job in mind, I'd be checking the "joules" rating and daily hire rate of a professional one from HSS etc.  I've falled fowl of just too many of these DIY versions of tools, but in the other hand, if time is not of the essence, then why not - might take a long time though?

50J it says.

Figure means nothing to me.

[clicky click] actually 50 seems to be a very reasonable figure for that sort of cost.

Only one I could see higher was a £1k Hitachi.

Edited by Aspman

Yeah looks like it might worth just going for. If it only lasts two days I'm still quids in over a hire plus it'll be under warranty.

I bought what looks identical but under the B&Q power tool brand about 7 years ago and it is still going strong. 

It's old fashioned and lacks the vibration absorption of more professional equipment but it's fine for short bursts of heavy DIY.

The chisels are a bit soft and need fairly regular sharpening with an angle grinder.

It's more than paid for itself getting old concrete fence post bases out, cutting channels in concrete drives etc.

• Like 1

I'm always surprised by the range that Aldi offer and the bargains to be had. Looks decent enough.

Sometimes difficult to get. Stores only get a few of the headline items.

Tried to get some of the Tshirts etc that were on a few weeks back, and even getting there early there wasn't a lot and were only small or Xtra large.

However they did have some decent mobile emergency chargers for £5 when everywhere else the same capacity is over £20.

• Like 1

One other one I would look at is the Titan one from screwfix

http://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-ttb280drh-15-5kg-breaker-230v/67819

I think my dad bought that one and it performed well but i'm sure he only paid £100 for it but it looks a bit different to that so not sure if it was on sale at the time or maybe they have made it better and hiked the price up.

For the price of the Aldi on with 3 years warranty you cant go wrong really

I wonder if the Aldi on is actually that Scheppach, they look very similar.

Went in to night and there were none :swear:

But Aldi now do delivery for their specials and I was able to order online. Free delivery right now since it's just started which is probably a bargain considering how heavy it is.

• Like 1

I wonder if the Aldi on is actually that Scheppach, they look very similar.

Went in to night and there were none :swear:

But Aldi now do delivery for their specials and I was able to order online. Free delivery right now since it's just started which is probably a bargain considering how heavy it is.

Didn't realise they delivered now.

Saves fighting folk on a Thursday morning who could outrun Bolt to the specials area! :D

• Like 1

I know a guy who got a petrol chainsaw in aldi/lidl a few yrs ago.

went up a woodland, cut down a reasonable sized tree and ring it all... burnt out the chain saw in 2 days flat out usage (never even put chain oil in it...) brought back under warranty, got a replacement.

back up the same wood about 3weeks later and finished the first tree and did a second, the same way.. burnt out saw no.2.

Brougjt it back, declared them crap and got a full refund...

so for the cost the fuel had about 3yr worth of fire wood courtesy of 2 free chainsaws...

• Like 3

How long can you wait. Just a thought, as if you can drill some holes in the path, and let them get waterlogged, then frost might just do the job for you. 

• Like 1

I've used an sds drill to break paths before. I guess it depends on the thickness and strength of the concrete. I've also broken concrete off washing line poles, but that was only a foot cubed piece. Those are easier if you dig in to the ground on one side of the pole to allow you to lever the pole flat, bringing the block out of the ground in one piece. Once that's done you can normally break the block in to pieces

You can get sds drills from £50 up

Sorry I missed your comments on the thickness. Do you really think you have 2 feet of concrete? Most of my paths are 6 inch at most

Anything more would have been back filled with rubbish for sure. I'd just start smashing it with a sledge and see how it goes, bet its not as tough as you'd think. Poles are best dug out as you don't want to leave the concrete in, grass won't grow properly over it as the ground will dry out quickly in summer. dig around them and use the pole as a lever then drag it to wherever they are being loaded from. I've taken a few balls of concrete like that to the tip - not good for the car or my back mind :)

SDS with rotolock will do it.

How well depends on the size of the drill.

We used to have an 8 kilo Bosch one which would just destroy everything, but it was very expensive.

Im just thinking if you could borrow one off a mate or something though, it might save you a few quid

How long can you wait. Just a thought, as if you can drill some holes in the path, and let them get waterlogged, then frost might just do the job for you. 

Did cross my mind to go medieval on its ass, I could in theory drill holes, bang in some wood, then soak the wood and it could split the concrete when the wood expands.

Or I can buy a big electric hammer and spend a day or two being manly :strong:

I bought the hammer.

Sorry I missed your comments on the thickness. Do you really think you have 2 feet of concrete? Most of my paths are 6 inch at most

Worst case scenario. Path rises to about 18" above the grass level at one end, assuming it'll go down a bit into the earth as well.

I'm hoping it was a botched job and they just laid it on top of some packed earth and didn't dig down.

Same hope with the green poles but I've lifted poles in my parents garden before and it had 2' of concrete on the bottom of it. We had to dig a ramp to drag it out it was too heavy for two of us to life.

Edited by Aspman

• Administrators

Same hope with the green poles but I've lifted poles in my parents garden before and it had 2' of concrete on the bottom of it. We had to dig a ramp to drag it out it was too heavy for two of us to life.

Chop 3 trees down, tie them up, like a teepee them jury rig a 3:1 pully on it. Saves backs, not tree friendly :D

Chop 3 trees down, tie them up, like a teepee them jury rig a 3:1 pully on it. Saves backs, not tree friendly :D

For gods sake man! This is a car website!

Back up an oversized 4x4 attach tow rope, drive off!

(it's probably more environmentally friendly than chopping down 3 trees as well  :D )

• Like 1