Error service: leave vehicle only when selector in position p

FZS1 - Indeed, it mentions having this error only while in motion and that was my case as well. As far as the fix goes, it is a bit of, as we would say here "foefelen"(covering a hole in the wall with a poster) but does the trick. Even if the velcro detaches the switch will not cease to function as it is the black surrounding going over the gear selector lever that matters. Adding a bit more photos to see how it looks with/without the new switch. This black surrounding is held by 1 torx screw underneath and could only get loose by pure torture. If people managed to do that, they would destroy other parts on the car first. 

You seem to have quite a few electric gremlins on your car. This might be a long shot but will ask anyway. How is your car battery? Some Octavia's were shipped with bad Varta's that caused all kinds of gremlins. Now, I'm guessing here but maybe worth looking into.

NikTheGeek - That would indeed explain why the issue kept popping back. I would guess the new selector will work fine for a while but after some time will get the silica buildup and suffer in the same way. Not sure though but new remediated levers might have a different part number. If this is true and what they are, I don't know. Skoda is being quite reserved with this and some other "know" issues. Maybe a new remediated lever doesn't even exists. It what I understood from people but might have totally got the wrong picture.

IMG_20200624_110633.jpg

3 hours ago, FZS1 said:

The piggyback add on switch 'fix' looks a bit of a bodge job to me (NOT your fitting of it !!!!!!), because if the velcro attaching the newly added switch to the selector mechanism fails, so will the switch adjustment? 

Just for information the micro switch harness assy consists of 4 parts,

1 - a connector that connects to the dsg selector mechanism.

2 - a connector that connects to the car harness.

3 - a small black box that you Velcro to the dsg mechanism (I believe this has a circuit board in it which disables the switch within the dsg mechanism itself that is causing the problem).

4 - a micro switch assy that is fitted to the top of the selector mechanism, which is firstly secured with a screw and then with two metal clips, once the switch has been setup using the method shown in the procedure ANOTHER two clips are fitted. Once this has been done there is no way the switch assy can ever move, they would have to be forced off because they dig/cut into the plastic.

I have been really happy with the fix on my Octavia and it has saved me a great deal of money.

Thanks to you all for your info - Now the piggyback switch fitment makes sense to me. I was assured that the selector mechanism fitted to my car had the new type of switch fitted. The part number is 6C2713041F. I don't know if the part number for the mechanism changed when the new type of switch was fitted to it, or if indeed it ever was fitted with a new type! The battery issue interests me though, as the garage mentioned something about the battery after they replaced the selector and had the P park error permanently. As for the !LIM problem, the garage said they have several Fabias with this, all DSGs.

Hi,

I've been reading this to see if there's an update to this. My Skoda has been flashing this message on and off for 4 years. Sometimes it goes away for a few months and only when I am driving. Is there now a quick fix then or shall I continue to live with it? The car is over 4 years old now so out of warranty.

Thanks

Matt

4 hours ago, Matthew48 said:

Hi,

I've been reading this to see if there's an update to this. My Skoda has been flashing this message on and off for 4 years. Sometimes it goes away for a few months and only when I am driving. Is there now a quick fix then or shall I continue to live with it? The car is over 4 years old now so out of warranty.

Thanks

Matt

Matt, take a look back a few posts and you'll find a PDF from a recall that gives a quick fix for this. Part costs around 40€ and takes around 30min to install. 

14 hours ago, Gojkonjegovpas said:

Matt, take a look back a few posts and you'll find a PDF from a recall that gives a quick fix for this. Part costs around 40€ and takes around 30min to install. 

Thanks. I've tried the first option mentioned which is to shift the gear stick from P to D many times as if it's a dirty switch then it may help. Probably won't but worth a cheap go first!

Just now, skippy41 said:

Thank you for this,  where can the part be bought  from,  the dealers or other outlets 

Take a look online. I believe some shops do sell it online.

I personally went to the dealer and got it there.

• Thanks 1

Thanks to this thread my dealer fitted the microswitch to my 2017 Octavia yesterday.

I’d emailed this thread link to them the week before so either they read it or knew about the problem already.

Mine had the intermittent error soon after setting off (so not door related in my case). It didn’t appear often but amazingly did it twice the day before I took it to the dealer - so they might have been able to see a code.

Fingers crossed it has fixed it for good.

6 hours ago, Mrsmr2 said:

Thanks to this thread my dealer fitted the microswitch to my 2017 Octavia yesterday.

I’d emailed this thread link to them the week before so either they read it or knew about the problem already.

Mine had the intermittent error soon after setting off (so not door related in my case). It didn’t appear often but amazingly did it twice the day before I took it to the dealer - so they might have been able to see a code.

Fingers crossed it has fixed it for good.

Hopefully it will be fixed.  Was the work done under the 3 year Skoda warranty or as part of a recall or something you paid for?  If the latter do you mind me asking how much it cost?  Thanks.

It was fixed under warranty and it was something I reported to them to look into.

They'd already ordered the switch when I turned up yesterday and the service guy said it was around £55 or so. I didn't see their warranty labour charge.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/07/2020 at 10:05, Matthew48 said:

Thanks. I've tried the first option mentioned which is to shift the gear stick from P to D many times as if it's a dirty switch then it may help. Probably won't but worth a cheap go first!

So everytime I use the car now. I shift the gear shift up and down quickly a few times. The message has not come back so far.........

On 16/07/2020 at 17:43, skippy41 said:

Would this be an MOT fail if it wasn't sorted?? and the error was showing  

On 16/07/2020 at 17:47, Wino said:

There's a serving MOT tester who gets on here sometimes who may be able to answer that, my gut feeling would be no, but @Ju1ian1001, what do you think?

Sorry about the late reply only just come back on, and the answer is no not a fail, The MOT does cover anything gearbox related apart from any mounts which also act as engine mounts.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Ju1ian1001 said:

Sorry about the late reply only just come back on, and the answer is no not a fail, The MOT does cover anything gearbox related apart from any mounts which also act as engine mounts.

Hi ju1ian1001.  Thank you for confirming that it's not an MOT failure.  You have reinforced what my dealer said to me.  I suspect if it was an MOT failure Skoda UK might take it more seriously, and make it the subject of a recall.  I'd love to get it fixed, but not at my cost!

On 26/07/2020 at 14:42, Matthew48 said:

So everytime I use the car now. I shift the gear shift up and down quickly a few times. The message has not come back so far.........

Still good. I've done 300 miles this week and it still hasn't come back. Part of my morning car routine is to 'exercise' the gear shift now!!

Thanks to GOJKONJEGOVPAS for advice on this, I called my local independent garage that I use and asked if they could get the part number, it came in next day and it took about 20 mins to fit, the error remained at first until all the error codes were cleared, I have had no problems since the part cost under £50 and I owe the guys some cider as they helped me fit the part on the day so I was very lucky. 

Thanks again to GOJKONJEGOVPAS cause that error was driving me crazy ! 

4 hours ago, Superbstu said:

Thanks to GOJKONJEGOVPAS for advice on this, I called my local independent garage that I use and asked if they could get the part number, it came in next day and it took about 20 mins to fit, the error remained at first until all the error codes were cleared, I have had no problems since the part cost under £50 and I owe the guys some cider as they helped me fit the part on the day so I was very lucky. 

No worries. Glad I could help.

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/08/2020 at 16:49, Superbstu said:

Hi, I am having the same problem and it is gradually becoming more frequent. Does anyone know where to buy this part in the UK? I can only find it online in some European countries or USA with this part number for a VW. Will the part number be universal or will the EU / USA version be different? Thanks.. 

• 3 weeks later...

I just had this servicing done.. they replaced a switch they say. As I understand this in SOME cases does the trick but they refuse to give me any documentation saying the service was performed or what part was replaced.. they tell this is because it manufacturer repair and not a dealer repair so there is no.paperwork to provide me, the owner.... My warranty is up in 4 months so I'm not entirely comfortable with that outcome! The issue was still very intermittent and could got weeks or months without showing up... And if the issues was not active during the repair would they know if it's the switch or the shift assembly?? 

22 minutes ago, RichBrown said:

I just had this servicing done.. they replaced a switch they say. As I understand this in SOME cases does the trick but they refuse to give me any documentation saying the service was performed or what part was replaced.. they tell this is because it manufacturer repair and not a dealer repair so there is no.paperwork to provide me, the owner.... My warranty is up in 4 months so I'm not entirely comfortable with that outcome! The issue was still very intermittent and could got weeks or months without showing up... And if the issues was not active during the repair would they know if it's the switch or the shift assembly?? 

I had the microswitch replaced around 3 months ago after a massive saga, under warranty. Haven't had the issue since, so (touch wood) I think it has sorted it for me. Also didn't receive any paperwork tho. 

• Thanks 1