Creaking and groaning suspension : non active suspension

1 hour ago, Blobby333 said:

the anti roll bar bushes seem to be detaching from the car! 😬 Skoda decided on the second visit that covering the car with grease would solve the problem.......on a nearly new car, the other garage thought that was completely unprofessional.........so on the forth visit when i was prepared for a war they admitted that there was excessive play in the roll bar.......did i want to pay for it to be changed 🤪

I have very creaky suspension like you describe but am struggling to even get anyone to diagnose it properly. 

Did Skoda give you a price to replace the roll bar prior to agreeing to do in under warranty..? 

DB72- When i took it to an independent garage they said it would be roughly £250. Skoda wanted £410 to do the same job. The anti roll bar comes with the bushes as one unit. Interestingly, my "oil change" service was a wopping £300 -phone call today from Skoda to ask if my service was ok and was i happy with it 😆 what sort of phone call is that? Yes i paid too much to keep it in warranty, why any need for such an inane phone call. Car going in for new anti roll bar under warranty on wednesday........they can ask me then how i feel, at times its like they really do not care....mind you think all car makers are very similar 😒

• 1 month later...

New anti roll bar has not fixed the problem and it's worse than before. In it goes for a 5th time and they are now going to replace the top of the suspension .....at least this might cure the problem. If not I am selling it and never buying another skoda....🤪

• Haha 1

Just now, Blobby333 said:

New anti roll bar has not fixed the problem and it's worse than before. In it goes for a 5th time and they are now going to replace the top of the suspension .....at least this might cure the problem. If not I am selling it and never buying another skoda....🤪

I sold mine and got a Mercedes e class :)

I couldn't stand anymore the noise from the suspension and the terrible noises from the sunroof. 

4 minutes ago, Blobby333 said:

Took my dealer a couple of goes as detailed in this thread but its not happened again. I think you need to try another dealer.

• 1 year later...

Well time to revisit this thread because after nearly 4 years my creaking suspension is on the way back. I suppose I’ve been lucky to last this long.

I’ll see how it goes but I’m guessing it won’t be covered by warranty now 😞

Edited by Nick_H

The creaking suspension is due to the top mounts.  Replacing them with ones from the 8V TTRS seems to solve this.  It's common issue across MQB platform

• Like 1
  • Love it! 1

38 minutes ago, Awesam said:

The creaking suspension is due to the top mounts.  Replacing them with ones from the 8V TTRS seems to solve this.  It's common issue across MQB platform

Don’t think that’s what they did last time but if whatever they do lasts another 4 years I’ll be happy enough.

On 7/2/2022 at 20:55, -KamaL- said:

Vendí el mío y compré un Mercedes e class:)

No podía soportar más el ruido de la suspensión y los terribles ruidos del techo corredizo. 

That's like comparing God to a gypsy.

Have to say though if I went back to 2015 knowing what I knew now it would make zero difference.

Its without a doubt the best car I’ve ever owned which is why nearly 8 years later I have no desire to swap it !

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Awesam said:

I replaced my original top mounts (4 years 40k kms on the car, 1.5 years and 15 kms with Eibach lower springs) with 034 street density mounts, the creaking sound totally gone. But the 034 mounts did amplify some other suspension noise. it developed a mild knocking sound at low speed (below 40km/h).

Then I replaced them with a set of Sachs mounts, all good now. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Did you buy the SACH top mount with bearings?

A great OEM upgrade is to swap out your top mounts for this upgrade kit, the parts included in the kit are originally fitted to the MQB platform MK3 TT models including TT, TTS, TTRS and also 8V1/8V2 RS3.

However they can be retrofitted to any of MQB platform vehicles - NOTE the list doesn't specify the Superb only the Octavia MK3 but Im sure i installed some from a Golf R with my coilovers.

Suspension Top Mount X2 5Q0412331E

Suspension Top Mount Bearing X2 8S0412249

Bolt X6 N91246401

On 26/06/2023 at 17:49, Awesam said:

Did you buy the SACH top mount with bearings?

A great OEM upgrade is to swap out your top mounts for this upgrade kit, the parts included in the kit are originally fitted to the MQB platform MK3 TT models including TT, TTS, TTRS and also 8V1/8V2 RS3.

However they can be retrofitted to any of MQB platform vehicles - NOTE the list doesn't specify the Superb only the Octavia MK3 but Im sure i installed some from a Golf R with my coilovers.

Suspension Top Mount X2 5Q0412331E

Suspension Top Mount Bearing X2 8S0412249

Bolt X6 N91246401

I would like to try that upgrade. Will it work in a 2016 2.0TDI 150HP Estate?

• 2 months later...

My 2029 Superb has creaking suspension every so often most often noticed over speed humps as well.

I traced it to the wishbone bushes nearest the drivers and passengers footwells where they attach to the under body.

I squirt a few sprays of Holts silicone spray on each bush and it's squeak free for a few months.

20230831_182323.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I've read through this thread and tbh I'm still none the wiser. 

I have the same horrible creaking from the front suspension when going over speed bumps. The same noise happens albeit to a lesser extent if I'm just stationary and I turn the steering wheel back and forth.

Is it possible that the root cause failed component is actually transmitting vibration along connected structures? So perhaps the fault origin is silent, but noise manifests itself in other places?  Like a chain reaction?

It would  certainly explain why its been so difficult to tie down. In other words greasing some bushes here and there helps with the symptom for a while but the main culprit goes undetected (unless it randomly gets swapped out).

Just a thought.

9 hours ago, Arseneknows said:

I've read through this thread and tbh I'm still none the wiser. 

I have the same horrible creaking from the front suspension when going over speed bumps. The same noise happens albeit to a lesser extent if I'm just stationary and I turn the steering wheel back and forth.

Is it possible that the root cause failed component is actually transmitting vibration along connected structures? So perhaps the fault origin is silent, but noise manifests itself in other places?  Like a chain reaction?

It would  certainly explain why its been so difficult to tie down. In other words greasing some bushes here and there helps with the symptom for a while but the main culprit goes undetected (unless it randomly gets swapped out).

Just a thought.

it is fixable … at least my dealer managed to fix it and it’s not come back yet … now been years.

They did the grease initially but then changed something that sorted it. I may or may not have posted what they actually did it’s now that long ago I can’t remember !

On 31/08/2023 at 18:24, Jon_67 said:

My 2029 Superb has creaking suspension every so often most often noticed over speed humps as well.

I traced it to the wishbone bushes nearest the drivers and passengers footwells where they attach to the under body.

I squirt a few sprays of Holts silicone spray on each bush and it's squeak free for a few months.

20230831_182323.jpg

Ahh, you've got that future squeak! 😂 

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, numskull said:

Mines just started the creaksqueak again. The ARB bushes were replaced under warranty but this, together with the suspension which has also now creaking, has returned. 🙄

Damn … I thought mine was starting again but it must have been a rogue squeak …

Have you tried the spray fix ? 

12 minutes ago, numskull said:

No, not yet. I’ll have to give it go. What’s best to use; silicon lube? 

Think that’s what the poster above said but I’ve started typing now so too lazy to look haha !

let us know if it works I always find a bit of lube works wonders ! 😂

• Haha 1