Does dash cam obscure vision

SEman

I am thinking of buying a Nextbase 512G dash cam which gets very good reviews. However I am 6ft 4 in tall and am a bit concerned that it may have a detrimental effect on forward  vision, hence partly negating the advantage of the dash cam. Has anyone fitted one of these to the Superb and what was the effect, if any, on forward vision?

I have fitted the model 312 GW which I think is size wise the same and although I am 5' 10" I have my seat at high setting and I am do not find it intrusive at all, now. As at first you are quite, well I was conscious of it. Most of it is behind the mirror anyway.   

Fit one without a screen (which is pretty useless due it’s size anyway... and may even be illegal if you can see it from the drivers seat) and they will hide behind the mirror completely out of the drivers sight.

• Like 2

I have a nextbase in mine and it is on the right hand side of the mirror (mines a left hooker) and it is practicaly hidden by the mirror so if you put yours on the left hand side  just behind the mirror I would  think it would be the same for you even if you are tall,hope this helps. Pete

Thanks for that. It makes sense as I don't plan on touching it much once it is set up, and if have to do anything to it then the car will be stationary anyway.

Thanks I have just found another thread where there are several fitting options and those who fitted the dash cam on the opposite side to the driver didn't have any problems with the dimming or wipers. The only disadvantage would be if you wanted to quickly save a recording. But Im not planning to save recordings of bad driving and send to the police. I am looking more for providing evidence should I be unfortunate to be in a shunt. Could be a double edged sword though!

7 minutes ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

You need to be carful on position if the inside mirror has a sensor on the rear. ( near the screen ) Be carful not to obscure it 

Agreed you need to be careful :thumbup:

On the other hand, the BlackVue in my Yeti is fitted directly behind the rear view mirror, where it is completely out of sight of the driver.

The auto dip function is unaffected.

• Like 1

You have to be careful not to obstruct the swept area of the windscreen - this is also true of Satnavs. Many stuck to the windscreen are technically illegal. I've now invested in a Brodit clip to mount my Tomtom.

However what I didn't know until recently there are restrictions on dash cam use in some counties - especially Austria and Luxembourg (serious offence here) although there are some associated laws in Belgium, Switzerland and Germany

Dimming sensor is on the "glass" side, on the bottom edge - so it can react to lights from cars behind you - so whatever is between the back of mirror and windshield - won't affect it.

Rain sensor is stuck directly to windshield - hidden in the mirror's base. 

I have Koonlung K1S - external dvr with two small cameras, gps, G-sensor, wired remote. Nicely hidden in the boot :) extra switch under the steering wheel to turn on/off lighter socket in the boot - always on when I'm leaving home - and stays on when shopping ;)

Rear camera, because of longer cable, is right next to mirror - almost my POV - front camera / shorter cable - at the back.

As others have said, put it behind the rear view mirror on the passenger side and it's not going to be in your way. I have a Vicovation Opia 2 and it's almost entirely hidden behind the mirror. The buttons are just accessible below the mirror, handily placed so I can hit the manual emergency storage one if needs be (it's coloured orange too so it's easy to pick out).

8 hours ago, jafo said:

Dimming sensor is on the "glass" side, on the bottom edge - so it can react to lights from cars behind you - so whatever is between the back of mirror and windshield - won't affect it.

Rain sensor is stuck directly to windshield - hidden in the mirror's base. 

There are two sensors for the auto-dimming rear view mirror:

- one is under the mirror glass, facing towards the rear or the car

- one is on the front of the mirror, looking through the windscreen

It's the second one you need to be sure not to obscure as it's dimming is based on the difference between these two sensors. It's also am easy way to test the dimming, just cover the second sensor with your hand :)

You're correct about the rain sensor, that's in the mirror base so doesn't care about dashcam positioning.

I've had the Nextbase 402G which went faulty, and now the 312GW in my Superb.  The 312GW is much more compact and when installed behind the mirror is invisible from the driver's seat and from outside (its black colour blends with and is smaller than the mirror). I put mine on the passenger side of the mirror and the installation is very discreet indeed.

Image quality of both cameras is equally excellent (I'm fussy) both during the day and night - so there's nothing to separate them there.    

A big plus point of the 312GW over both the 402G & 512G is the powered magnetic mount. It makes removing the camera and putting it back much less fiddly if you're in a dodgy area or the like. 

On 02/09/2017 at 18:34, Godzillasdad said:

I have 2 dashcams. One behind the central mirror looking forward and one looking back through the rear screen. They have been there 9 years, no problems.

Can you tell me please  The rear facing one,  "  Is the Dash cam  looking backwards on the front screen or is it on the rear screen looking out ? 

On 30/08/2017 at 11:18, Kilowatt said:

I have a Mini 0806. it's completely hidden behind the mirror, you can't even see it.

+1 I've also fitted a polarising filter to mine, which really improves the contrast of the image. 

I'm 6'5" and I have a GoPro sized dash cam (can't remember the make) that is positioned mostly behind the mirror so I don't see it at all really so I don't think you'll have a problem.

I'm 6ft 4" and I have a Nextbase 402G mounted behind the rearview mirror on the passenger side with the cable running behind the roof lining and the windscreen pillar into the fuse box and have it wired up so that it will automatically startup when the ignition switch is switched ON. The dash cam is completely out of sight to me when sitting normally and also does not block any of the sensors fitted to either side of the mirror. The 402G is the same size as the 512G so you will not have any issues   To prevent any other problems at night time with the screen light affecting any of the mirror light sensors, I have the cam set up so the screen display will switch off after a few seconds and at night the only visible thing to a passenger is the power / status LED glowing dim.

Edited by Graham Butcher

Thanks to everyone for your helpful replies. I've simulated a dash cam by placing my Garmin to the passenger side of the mirror and visibility is fine. So I think I will go ahead with the 512 G as they get good reviews for clarity in poor light conditions.