What annoyed you today?

Aspman

On 25/05/2023 at 20:28, Colin170CR said:

30% increase in my dual car insurance renewal😖. LV can take a running jump.

Looks like I'll be on the comparison sites when I get back from holiday.  

Same here, got my quote through for the work van yesterday and its up from £300 to £400. Did the comparison stuff and the cheapest there was £550!
Then again, having seen how people have been driving the last 12months after they've all been let out again I can kinda understand why, I can imagine accident rates have doubled...
Just wish it hadn't timed its self perfectly with being £4k down on income due to bad weather and ill health, plus the hot water cylinder springing a leak yesterday, and the breakdown cover due on both cars, so im £4k down and need an extra £2k (ish) that I hadn't accounted for due to everything thats been doing on recently. Anyone got any tips how to pull £6k out of my arse??:D

1 hour ago, robt100 said:

Same here, got my quote through for the work van yesterday and its up from £300 to £400. Did the comparison stuff and the cheapest there was £550!
Then again, having seen how people have been driving the last 12months after they've all been let out again I can kinda understand why, I can imagine accident rates have doubled...
Just wish it hadn't timed its self perfectly with being £4k down on income due to bad weather and ill health, plus the hot water cylinder springing a leak yesterday, and the breakdown cover due on both cars, so im £4k down and need an extra £2k (ish) that I hadn't accounted for due to everything thats been doing on recently. Anyone got any tips how to pull £6k out of my arse??:D

PM me, I might be able to assist with cheaper insurance, worth a try at last.

1 hour ago, robt100 said:

I can imagine accident rates have doubled...

anecdotal, but on my way from work on wednesday the road i would usually use but gone a difderent way by chance, was closed due to an accident.

and last night my dad was coming down for Spud sr's school show and he said there an accident on that same road on his way...

people's driving ability has gone through the floor since covid. honestly i think everyone should at least have to do a theory test refresher at license renewal time. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, mac11irl said:

people's driving ability has gone through the floor since covid. honestly i think everyone should at least have to do a theory test refresher at license renewal time. 

The amount of accidents I was nearly in today as the result of someone else's driving is appalling. Hot weather brings the f***wits out in droves! :@

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

Hot weather brings the f***wits out in droves! :@

Personally I've found that any weather brings the f***wits out in droves .

Poor driving conditions brings them out even more, Heavy rain/icy roads ETC . The more chance of having an "accident" seems to be a greater reason to drive like a f***wit. 

• Like 2

The twunt the other night M1 north bound  ( 3 lanes) lane 1, empty for miles sat in lane 2.

Bizarrely did actually seem to be looking where they are going & paying attention as faced with the signs giving advanced warning of the hard shoulder being closed...... Moved into lane 3.

On passing where the hard shoulder was closed returned to Erm lane 2.

All @  approx 60 mph. 

• Like 1

annoyed me yesterday, and will again today no doubt, trying to get the bottom bracket out of my bike to replace it 😡🤬💥

and dont worry iknow its a reverse thread on one side. i got one side out but the chain ring side is bloody welded

• Sad 2

16 hours ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

The amount of accidents I was nearly in today as the result of someone else's driving is appalling. Hot weather brings the f***wits out in droves! :@

On that note, drivers yesterday...
Came up to a mini roundabout, cars to our right (so they have right of way) car comes from the left as we arrive and just stops ON the mini roundabout (right over the centre), passenger slowly gets out, and picks up something that fell out of the fully open window after sliding off the dashboard. Then slowly saunters back to the passenger seat, then the driver takes 1 or 2 attempts to get going again. No acknowledgement to anyone else waiting at the roundabout, it was as if we didn't exist.

After that, the lady at the head of the quite to our right (Who has right of way) just sits there staring at me confused, takes her a good few seconds to remember simple driving theory and then she slowly chugs off with the 6 cars behind following. What should have been a 3-5 second stop turned into about 3mins😴

• Groan 1

On 25/05/2023 at 20:28, Colin170CR said:

30% increase in my dual car insurance renewal😖. LV can take a running jump.

Looks like I'll be on the comparison sites when I get back from holiday.  

Humm. It seems all insurance costs have gone up in the last year. I haven't been able to find anything cheaper than I've already been quoted by LV as a renewal for our two cars & it seems DLine don't cover modified cars at all - straight no. None of the comparison sites I looked at could come up with anything cheaper either. 

I've got a few weeks to find alternatives but it's already looking pretty dire & the prospect of having to swallow a £160 increase, for what are depreciating assets, really bugs me. 

The problem is that it's probably going to get even worse because we are looking to sell my wife's Karoq to get an EV which are not only more expensive to buy but to insure as well. I just hope the savings in running cost balance the books.   

My third visit to local my Asda opticians this afternoon to pick up my new glasses and again they've been damaged before being handed over to me. When I first collected them they'd got the lens focal spot wrong and I couldn't see through them clearly.. On the second attempt they'd the changed the lenses but chipped the frame so I was hoping that this time everything would be good to go.

But no, they'd replaced the frames but either over-heated or over-stressed them during lens fitting and they were clearly buckled near to the bridge and the plastic had whitened (the frames are dark blue so it's clear something had happened).

What's been more annoying is the lack of interest by the staff - how they let two pairs of damaged glasses get as far as handover to the customer beggars belief.

😡

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Scam SMS

Annoyed to find a text message on my mobile. Supposedly from Royal Mail, saying 'Your package is on hold'

I was invited to log on to a:   safe-help-hub    website 'to resolve the issue'.

safe-help-hub does not seem to have a warning profile in the UK, but the American scam-detector.com website (run by Scam Detector Media Inc) list this website as 'low-trust' and 'High Risk; Phishing: Beware'.

I was not expecting any package from Royal Mail. Their website warns of many scam attempts involving them. I reported my scam attempt to Royal Mail and also to: phishing . gov . uk

Be warned; be aware   😬

Edited by OldTrilobite
email link error
  • Like 3

Oh FFS, in the outer edge of my NSR 🙄

2F9AFC0F-4EEC-4FC2-BC18-C4587F2CF8C2.thumb.jpeg.e73268fa4c735344436f6002e2170788.jpeg

998575E8-4C6E-49C7-BC7A-19738D9593A1.thumb.jpeg.faf447a25073d3c3711cfdf08c4a2472.jpeg

It's starting to feel like the days of actually wearing tyres out might be behind me.  It's been repaired, but with a caveat that it might not hold as it was a gnat's whisker away from the irreparable line.

Could've picked it up anywhere of course, but I went to B&Q yesterday for sand.  I was only saying to my neighbour yesterday that I'm the person in those type of car parks who picks up screws, nails and cable ties.

On a positive note, another good shout from my TPMS 👍

Gaz

• Like 2

Yes, the TPMS is a good system, but bad luck with that screw. I have had my fair share of these bloody things in the past, thankfully though that was with my company cars and round my way there was once a craze with some idiots who seemed to go round, and I think were wedging them between the road and the tyres so when I drove off they would be driven into the tyres 🤬

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, P-J said:

I agree with all the previous points regarding driving. My biggest annoyance is lack of lane discipline - people who hog the middle or third lane on motorways for miles, refusing to move over.
I'm sure traffic would move along much quicker if everyone stuck to good lane discipline.

I can't say I missed driving on UK motorways when I visited last week tbh. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Gaz said:

998575E8-4C6E-49C7-BC7A-19738D9593A1.thumb.jpeg.faf447a25073d3c3711cfdf08c4a2472.jpeg

There have been quite a few of those in the news here in the North West (bent screws, that is) ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Cheeky 1

Thats a drywall screw, they are the worst for punctures, unlikely IMO to have been picked up from B&Q car park, more likely a commercial refurb somewhere.

Its a 32mm and not a 25mm one so will have been a double boarded partition probably 60 minute fire rated.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Gaz said:

On a positive note, another good shout from my TPMS 👍

Are you having the default passive TPMS system using the ABS measuring the rotation speed of the tires or you actually have TPMS sensors?

I’m asking because mine never worked as expected.. I now have the habit to check my tires once every few weeks.

15 minutes ago, fr1nklyn said:

Are you having the default passive TPMS system using the ABS measuring the rotation speed of the tires….

Nothing more fancy than the standard ABS based one. It’s been 100% reliable for me.

Visual checks when washing the car and pressure checks every month 👍

Gaz

• Like 3

On 25/05/2023 at 23:24, @Lee said:

British Airways. I got to Heathrow T5, looked at the boards, flight status OK so I went to check in using my phone, got my hold luggage tagged and off down the chute it went. Went back to check the board LITERALLY five minutes later and the flight to Hamburg was cancelled. WTF!!! Massive ball ache. Staff were no help. Call BA they say so people calling BA. BA say talk to ground staff and so the circle of bull shoite begins. No flights available. Now booked in to Hilton Terminal 5 at £209/ night (Hotels were booked up rapidly - tried a few and by the time I got to payment the room was gone!)

No BA flights available tomorrow either now so missus and me found a flight from Gatwick via Frankfurt with Lufthansa.
****ed off isn't the word. Fortunately insured and the claims receipts are piling up.

I saw it's on BBC news now. This started around 4:15 this afternoon.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65713903

My hold baggage is still missing. I went back to T5 on Friday morning hoping to collect it (ground floor of T5 by the red lift) and it was absolute chaos there. Loads of people wanting to get their luggage, 10 or 11 security and a couple of coppers. I saw one woman lunge towards one of the staff and push him with both hands on his chest. I managed to speak to one of the security and he just said to me 'I'll be honest with you because BA aren't, you aint getting your bag back today, mate'. I managed a peak through the door porthole style windows and I could see 1000's of bags piled high and in no particular order. Filled in the online missing baggage report and went up for a breakfast and waited for the NE coach to LGW. 
Flight from LGW to FRA was delayed but when we eventually took off, the pilot really put the hammer down. We were only in the air for 48 minutes!!

Capture.PNG

Edited by @Lee
  • Sad 3

Dropped friends off at Gatwick Airport early yesterday morning.

Forgot to pay the drop-off charge, and only just remembered :wall:

On the bright side, I sold a mobility scooter yesterday, so that might cover my fines, public flogging, and prison stay :dull:

Gaz

• Haha 3

B&Q. :mad:

Website showed qty 6 in stock at my local store for brown 50mm downpipes.

I only wanted 2, so thought, 'I'll just drop in on my way to work and pick them up'.

Shelves showed me that there is no f in brown 50mm downpipes, not a single one.  (Well, unless you write 50 longhand, then there would be two, maybe that's where I went wrong?)

Edited by Breezy_Pete
  • Like 1
  • Groan 1

Yesterday - a Geberit toilet cistern bottom fill valve...

It is (was!) on the inlet on the hidden toilet cistern in the bathroom in our loft conversion but yesterday afternoon it decided life was too much for it and sheared off on the supply side inside the cistern, blowing the screwed down plastic lid off the cistern and proceeding to allow water to flow full bore from the mains pressure inlet.  This overwhelmed the cistern overflow and the cistern itself within seconds leading to water flooding into the boarded out loft, down through the un-boarded out sections and into the bedroom below through the downlighters, soaking pretty much everything in the vicinity.

Fortunately my wife heard the sound of running water where it shouldn't be, called me and was able to turn off the main stopcock to the house.

We've now largely mopped up but have had to dump various stuff that has been ruined, have a very wet loft and carpet that is drying out and currently have around 19 blankets and towels used to mop up out on the line.

Replacement part is supposedly ordered for delivery and fitting Saturday.

Luckily I fitted an isolation valve on the feed to the toilet a couple of years back when a bad connection nearby leaked and I had the water off, so I've been able to get water back on to the rest of the house.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Crying 1

1 hour ago, Breezy_Pete said:

B&Q. :mad:

Website showed qty 6 in stock at my local store for brown 50mm downpipes.

I only wanted 2, so thought, 'I'll just drop in on my way to work and pick them up'.

Shelves showed me that there is no f in brown 50mm downpipes, not a single one.  (Well, unless you write 50 longhand, then there would be two, maybe that's where I went wrong?)

Same thing happened to me a few months ago. Has your B&Q got a separate trade section? If so you'll probably find the 50mm downpipes in there & not in the retail side. 🤞

Not that I know of, when I said to the cashier that they'd let me down with one of the items I expected to find I got a "DILLIGAF" grunt and no offer to help.

Wickes will be getting my business going forward.

They're threatening to even bring them out to the carpark if I give them an arrival time. :)

Edited by Breezy_Pete
Wickes, not wicked. :)