What annoyed you today?

Aspman

6 hours ago, J.R. said:

That happened to me with one that I had only fitted the day before, whilst faultfinding the system I had clamped the flexible hose to prove the air was in the bleed block or the slave cylinder, I tested the pedal by hand and then forgot to remove the clamp, it sheared with hardly any foot pressure.

Was your clutch action getting a little stiff or heavy? The pushrod really should not deform or shear in normal use or even abuse, it may indicate something amiss with the pressure plate, I mention it because a failing Sachs pressure plate can cut through the gearbox housing making a very expensive repair or new gearbox required.

I recommed that you or whoever replaces the cylinder checks the pedal action carefully.

Clutch action was perfectly normal. 

Nothing to suggest anything was amiss. 

It was a LUK one I had fitted, only difference to the one that came off was that the push rod was plastic. 

But looking at pictures seems a lot of them are.. 

I'll be replacing it with a metal one. 

Clutch really needs to last until March. 

Good to know, all the ones I fitted (long story :sadsmile:) including a new VAG one from TPS were 100% plastic aside from the piston.

I expect like the slave cylinders the earlier revisions are the ones to go for.

There is a seperate issue with the plastic pushrods that only manifests itself when air gets into the slave cylinder and the pedal does not return under hydraulic pressure to beyond the dwell point of the control loading spring cam mechanism, owners naturally lift the pedal up which can pull the pushrod and its (not) locating collet out from the piston, if it becomes completely rather than partially dislodged this can result in the pushrod bending and breaking on the next clutch action.

It is possible that an aftermarket cylinder with a non functioning pushrod retaining collet (all of mine needed corrective work) could dislodge during a fast gearchange, releasing the clutch pedal fast when the clutch peak torque limiter in the bleed block prevents the clutch re-engaging at the same speed and the fluid from returning, the control loading spring is more than strong enough to pull the pushrod out from a slow returning master cylinder piston.

Had you by any chance done a snatched gearchange or a fast start across a junction before the failure?

I recommend that you or the mechanic check the new cylinder, try pulling the pushrod out, it should remain firmly retained in the piston, my first pattern part one detached in my hands while I was idly playing with it.

8 hours ago, J.R. said:

Had you by any chance done a snatched gearchange or a fast start across a junction before the failure?

No.. car had only been running about 5 minutes so was still warming up, I drive very sedately to work in an attempt to get more than a 30mpg average - I'm doing ok so far I think.

Gearchanges are very lazy for the whole 15 miles and revs rarely go over 3k.

• Like 1

The graffiti

I can't find any more detail on the violent arrest of a terminally ill man that led to this graffito (possibly by Banksy) but it really feels like a thorough investigation is called for - with censure and discipline if shown to be relevant.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hereford-worcester-59280919

3 minutes ago, MikeTheThinker said:

The graffiti

I can't find any more detail on the violent arrest of a terminally ill man that led to this graffito (possibly by Banksy) but it really feels like a thorough investigation is called for - with censure and discipline if shown to be relevant.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hereford-worcester-59280919

I was reading about that incident, made me feel sick at the thought of what's going on these days.

Amazon deciding not to accept UK visa credit cards. As I never use a debit card online and I only seem to have Visa credit cards it seems that Amazon is going to lose my business entirely.

The cynic in me thinks that it's just a ploy to sell they own MasterCard.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, io1901 said:

Amazon deciding not to accept UK visa credit cards.

I had that email from Amazon this morning - can't find anywhere what the fees charged by Visa and Mastercard are to see if this is justified - or as io1901 says just a cynical move by Amazon to promote their Mastercard.

Edited by PetrolDave
  • Like 3

Got the same email from Amazon this morning as well - and like others my cards are Visa...   I guess they may change their minds / process in the UK if they get hit with people buying elsewhere!

• Like 2

The silly mare sat behind me on a flight back from Mexico doing her level best to keep me awake by shaking my chair as she didn’t want me to recline mine so I could sleep ….. it was a night flight and had a 3 hour drive back home to Bristol from Manchester, so the sleep was very much needed in order to be safe on the road 🤬

• Sad 3

9 hours ago, io1901 said:

Amazon deciding not to accept UK visa credit cards. As I never use a debit card online and I only seem to have Visa credit cards it seems that Amazon is going to lose my business entirely.

The cynic in me thinks that it's just a ploy to sell they own MasterCard.

I'm sure it'd only be a two minute job to get a Mastercard from another issuer.

Granted it's not an ideal situation but the idea is that the cards sing to your tune and not vice versa. 💳

• Like 1

I'd heard they were stopping several credit cards, but debit cards were still acceptable as they don't incur a charge when using them. It sort of makes sense, as I know people who regularly have items worth well under £5 pounds, delivered to their door and they pay with a credit card. Even Amazon probably notice this loses them money. 

Edited by Lady Elanore
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, skomaz said:

I guess they may change their minds / process in the UK if they get hit with people buying elsewhere!

Like where? Is there another online retailer that offers a shed load of movies and TV, such a range of products and come with free next day delivery?

I think Bezos has the market in that boxed off tbh. It's only credit cards AFAIK which will, deter those idiots using CC's for every little thing when a DC will do. Too many living beyond their means anyway so might even deter people from living on the never never.

@io1901made a relevant point. Another benefit of that thing?

• Like 2

reason theres a charge on cc is because you can then claim against visa's insurance if you need to - theres layers of consumer protection available. with yer dc on t'internet - any issue or get scammed you're on your own kid.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, mac11irl said:

reason theres a charge on cc is because you can then claim against visa's insurance if you need to - theres layers of consumer protection available. with yer dc on t'internet - any issue or get scammed you're on your own kid.

I wouldn't be surprised if here's a BezosCard in the not too distant.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, mac11irl said:

Bang on and why I only ever use a credit card for online purchases.  Swmbo even has a specific card that is only ever used online

• Like 1

Been trying to print off these 'vaccine passports' for my Grandparents and the printer has decided "**** you I'm going to run out of ink" :@

Edit: The spare printer (a small personal one, not the household one) doesn't even have a cartridge in it. I'm going back to my bed.

Edited by AnnoyingPentium
Additional Information.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

Been trying to print off these 'vaccine passports' for my Grandparents and the printer has decided "**** you I'm going to run out of ink" :@

Edit: The spare printer (a small personal one, not the household one) doesn't even have a cartridge in it. I'm going back to my bed.

If they have a smart phone it’s easier to  get the NHS app, not to be confused with the NHS covid app, and have it on there. And, if they do I would also suggest they add it to their “wallet” on the smart phone so that they are not reliant on internet connection to access the app when they are in a situation with a buildup  of people draining the internet signal, such as in airports etc 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jars said:

If they have a smart phone it’s easier to  get the NHS app, not to be confused with the NHS covid app, and have it on there. And, if they do I would also suggest they add it to their “wallet” on the smart phone so that they are not reliant on internet connection to access the app when they are in a situation with a buildup  of people draining the internet signal, such as in airports etc 

They have smart phones but aren't very tech literate beyond answering the phone. My Grandad has the document saved to his phone and my Granny has her printed though as it's working ish.