What annoyed you today?

Aspman

14 minutes ago, Colin170CR said:

Even worse if it's a music video just before the guitar/drum/Sax solo. 

Especially if your playing you air guitar colin then it goes off ,yer feel a right plonker 😂😂

• Haha 2

I've never had ads in music videos after the song has started. 

I just had six in a row run in the background on the YouTube app on my Google Pixel 2 XL phone and not a single advert interrupted the music🤔

Edited by @Lee

1 minute ago, @Lee said:

I've never had ads in music videos after the song has started. 

I just had six in a row run in the background on the YouTube app on my Google Pixel 2 XL phone and not a single advert interrupted the music🤔

Time to get out the old air axe then lee 🎸🎸🥁

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mickvrs220 said:

Especially if your playing you air guitar colin then it goes off ,yer feel a right plonker 😂😂

When it comes to musical instruments I'm the odd one out in our family. I haven't played any musical instrument since a Dettol tasting recorder in primary school😖

I know what I like to listen to & I appreciate good musicianship in any form but I have no aptitude in terms of playing anything. I think I would even struggle with an air guitar 🎸.

By contrast my wife plays piano, electric keyboard / synth, violin & occasional cello. Son plays drums & daughter is handy on the guitar. We have enough instruments in the house to start an orchestra but I never been tempted to have a go. At the last count we had 2 x violins, 2 x cello's, full drum kit with cow bells & double pedals, upright piano, Yamaha electric keyboard, acoustic guitar & I think electric & bass guitars in the loft. 

Oh, and I can't sing either. 

• Like 2

Just found out I have been massively overcharged for a prostate supplement that I bought online last March after viewing a very persuasive video on the Net. I paid 318 USD for 7 dropper bottles plus a further £63.66 in customs and handling charges. I just saw the exact same product for sale on Amazon, namely Prostadine, at a total price of £21.29 for a pack of 4 plus a pack of 3. After trying the product for almost 7 months I also feel that the claims that they made for it are greatly over-exaggerated.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, OldBoyScout said:

Just found out I have been massively overcharged for a prostate supplement that I bought online last March after viewing a very persuasive video on the Net. I paid 318 USD for 7 dropper bottles plus a further £63.66 in customs and handling charges. I just saw the exact same product for sale on Amazon, namely Prostadine, at a total price of £21.29 for a pack of 4 plus a pack of 3. After trying the product for almost 7 months I also feel that the claims that they made for it are greatly over-exaggerated.

Anything you can buy without a prescription generally doesn't do very much. If it's branded as a 'suppliment' that means it has no proven medical benefit and specific health claims cannot be made by the manufacturer.

This is not the same as saying something is bad or doesn't work at all for everyone. Personally I'd advise against buying anything 'medical' online unless you are very sure of the provenance of the product. A number of Chinese herbal medicines for example actually contain dangerous amounts of some chemicals such as arsenic.

• Like 1
  • Love it! 2

What annoyed me today....

House stuff (again)...
We had problems again with the drainage over the last couple of storms. The one before Babet casued the septic tank to overfill and damaged the biodisc motor again (might be the 10th one now).
Got the residents to agree to pay for an assessment by a firm (very pleased with them btw).

Engineers appear on site. First impressions, "That inspection hatch shouldn't be low down and it shouldn't be surrounded by gravel that can cause you issues".
One of the pumps isn't working.
Floats are tangled
Bottom of the pumping chamber is filled with stones and mud.
Filter from the bottom of one of the pumps was in the control cabinet not fitted.
Non working pump lifted and funnily enough filter was missing and impellor was jammed with a stone.
Sewage side had damaged rotor motor + bearings
Needed desludged + grease cartriges replaced
Two pumps on that side were underpowered and restricted due to a non-return valve.

Basically about £4k of work needed.
Residents wrote to builder asking that he cover the repair costs since they resulted from his company's failure to install the system properly.

Reply was that the residends were apparently "talking a lot of s***e" and he was hard done by becasue he'd paid out to fix the field drain (his subcontractors fault) and been paying power on the system (his failure to hand over on time and he's in arrears with the power company).

Residents will be going via small claims to get money back.

Edited by Aspman
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 7

Why is it, when the only drink on the menu which is described as Hot - ie Hot Chocolate, is invariably not hot, whereas the lattes etc ordered at the same time are too hot to drink?  (I don’t drink coffee!)

2 hours ago, Aspman said:

Anything you can buy without a prescription generally doesn't do very much. If it's branded as a 'suppliment' that means it has no proven medical benefit and specific health claims cannot be made by the manufacturer.

To be honest I was a bit sceptical when I ordered it, but decided to give it a try, as the ingredients seemed to make sense and I really wanted it to work. I am just staggered to find out that the price that I paid was so massively over-inflated. The customs charge alone was three time what I could have bought the same product for on Amazon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Baxlin said:

Why is it, when the only drink on the menu which is described as Hot - ie Hot Chocolate, is invariably not hot, whereas the lattes etc ordered at the same time are too hot to drink?  (I don’t drink coffee!)

And a latte that is too hot to drink is spoiled, even after it has cooled; the milk loses its natural sweetness..

• Like 2

Updating the Amundsen MIB2 Sat Nag. Bit annoying that the HU turns itself off periodically meaning I have to keep popping outside now and again to turn it back on so the update can continue. 

All done now. Updated from V7 to V12 the last available update for my unit. 

I know of a couple of places that showed me driving on a field on the old version so I'll go and take a look tomorrow but fingers crossed it'll show me on a road. 

IMG_20231108_191151000.thumb.jpg.74429bbb2dfa24584fdf47e9afadf64a.jpg

Edited by @Lee
  • Like 1

Finally got round to taking my Superb to Skoda ( last resort ) to fix the inoperative DSG Drive Mode. Their initial thought was that the button was broken even though the LED illuminates when pressed, which to me indicates it's not.

They changed the button - no different. They ran a scan and no fault showing ( my VCDS flags up a malfunction for this feature )

Report now sent to Skoda HQ for guidance as to what to do next. 

Took two hours to get this far as they were 40 minutes late starting.

They also did some kind of software update and now the car drives like a dog with massive clutch slips between even & odd gear changes. The slip was there before, just a whole lot worse now. I'm hoping it will settle down a bit over the next few days with the DSG 'learning function' ( Still unsure whether this is just hokum or whether it really does )

Upside is that they didn't charge me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OldBoyScout said:

To be honest I was a bit sceptical when I ordered it, but decided to give it a try, as the ingredients seemed to make sense and I really wanted it to work. I am just staggered to find out that the price that I paid was so massively over-inflated. The customs charge alone was three time what I could have bought the same product for on Amazon.

Loosely connected I know but our cat needs medication and the first lot we bought through the vet for £shedloads but have since been buying exact same pills from on-line vets at probably only 40% of the vets price 😡 We have to pay the vet for the prescription but I reckon we’re still saving 50%. Given the vet will be buying their stock in at wholesale prices, how much are they making 🤬

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BTandSid said:

Loosely connected I know but our cat needs medication and the first lot we bought through the vet for £shedloads but have since been buying exact same pills from on-line vets at probably only 40% of the vets price 😡 We have to pay the vet for the prescription but I reckon we’re still saving 50%. Given the vet will be buying their stock in at wholesale prices, how much are they making 🤬

Snap. Got two cats on meds which we now get online rather than the vet. As you say just got to get updated prescriptions every so often - at a cost. That said it's easier to get an appointment with the vet than our GP!! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SteveTheElder said:

And a latte that is too hot to drink is spoiled, even after it has cooled; the milk loses its natural sweetness..

The coffee heads will be screaming at this. Milk burns at a low temperature as does coffee.
Real coffee (in Italy etc) isn't nearly as hot as we drink it in this country.

• Like 2

Just to add to the furry companion medications knowledge base our ancient Borderline Collie (mostly Border with unspecified other influence/s) was prescribed Pardale-V as a painkiller to help with her arthritic hips.  Pardale-V is 400mg of Paracetamol and 9mg of codeine phosphate and was costing us just under 40p/pill.  With our vet's approval we switched to generic over-the-counter Co-codamol 8/500 at 10p/pill.  Result! Happy hound and happy wallet :)
BTW I did do extended research into the long-term use of Paracetamol for dogs.  There is little in the way of true pharmacological study out there but a research paper by a vet (I can supply a copy if anyone is interested) who polled a large number of his colleagues indicated that - as long as the dosage remained properly controlled = the consensus was that long term use was not harmful and especially in the case that most recipients of the medication would be old anyway so there would be relatively limited life expectancy for cumulative harm.

The only downside for us is having to bury the pills in a lump of cheese so pooch will eat them ...

• Like 2
  • Love it! 1

7 minutes ago, MikeTheThinker said:

Just to add to the furry companion medications knowledge base our ancient Borderline Collie (mostly Border with unspecified other influence/s) was prescribed Pardale-V as a painkiller to help with her arthritic hips.  Pardale-V is 400mg of Paracetamol and 9mg of codeine phosphate and was costing us just under 40p/pill.  With our vet's approval we switched to generic over-the-counter Co-codamol 8/500 at 10p/pill.  Result! Happy hound and happy wallet :)
BTW I did do extended research into the long-term use of Paracetamol for dogs.  There is little in the way of true pharmacological study out there but a research paper by a vet (I can supply a copy if anyone is interested) who polled a large number of his colleagues indicated that - as long as the dosage remained properly controlled = the consensus was that long term use was not harmful and especially in the case that most recipients of the medication would be old anyway so there would be relatively limited life expectancy for cumulative harm.

The only downside for us is having to bury the pills in a lump of cheese so pooch will eat them ...

We have a near 16 year old Border Terrier on paracetamol solution (Calpol) for arthritis, which is easier to measure than cutting a pill, also no cheese required!! 

Just don't tell your local Boots that it's for a dog, not a grand child...

Same dog also has Cushings and has two £1.20 tablets per day which are at least twice as much from the vet, but we can get 90 days supply for a £20 prescription...

2 hours ago, Colin170CR said:

Given the vet will be buying their stock in at wholesale prices, how much are they making

Probably not as much as you think. They are probably paying a lot more for their supplies compared with what the online vendors are paying. If this was not the case it would make better financial sense for them to cut their margin rather than missing out on the sales completely. In my experience the vets readily tell us their clients that that they can't compete on price with the online vendors, and the difference is great enough for them to be able to make a modest profit issuing written prescriptions for online use. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cakemonster said:

We have a near 16 year old Border Terrier on paracetamol solution (Calpol) for arthritis, which is easier to measure than cutting a pill, also no cheese required!! 

We had a 17 year old Jack Russell Border cross, now sadly passed away, who seemed to be getting side effects from the Metacam painkiller prescribed by the vet. He was fine on regular over the counter Paracetamol, one quarter tablet per day.

• Like 1

On 07/11/2023 at 20:50, Mickvrs220 said:

Sign up for premium if ya fed up of adverts ,nothing comes for free or without a catch 👍

Here is an interesting viewpoint on the use of Ad Block on YT, and this has long been my view, especially as I said before, its not so much the adverts, but that they cut into the viewing content and spoils the enjoyment, and if it was a technical video, can actually make it harder to understand.

• Love it! 1

Commercial TV has been inserting ads for decades which is annoying but it's free to watch and nobody moans about it. Use the moment to relieve yourself or put the kettle on like normal people do 🙄 

And again, what Mick said. Pay for it and get it ad free or just accept it and stop moaning. 

Too many people these days seem to think just because something's on the internet it should be free without inconvenience. That's not how it works.

Edited by @Lee
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, @Lee said:

Commercial TV has been inserting ads for decades which is annoying but it's free to watch and nobody moans about it. Use the moment to relieve yourself or put the kettle on like normal people do 🙄 

And again, what Mick said. Pay for it and get it ad free or just accept it and stop moaning. 

Too many people these days seem to think just because something's on the internet it should be free without inconvenience. That's not how it works.

The ads are not consistent in their timings of both frequencies and duration so relieving oneself is not an option. TV ads are at preset times, about every 13 to 14 minutes, YT ads can be as quick as 3 to 4 minutes into a video, plus many channels also have the presenters own sponsers ads section added in, which is not the case with TV. 

TV companies also often have to actually make their programs at some huge costs, or buy them in, You Tubers provide their content for free, often just wanting to share it with others, as we share our content here for free. You Tubers do not make vast sums from sharing content, I have a channel from which I receive the huge amount of £0.

They say a fool and his money are soon parted, and if you're willing to pay for what others are sharing, what does that say about you. 🤔

Edited by Graham Butcher

1 hour ago, Graham Butcher said:

The ads are not consistent in their timings of both frequencies and duration so relieving oneself is not an option. TV ads are at preset times, about every 13 to 14 minutes, YT ads can be as quick as 3 to 4 minutes into a video, plus many channels also have the presenters own sponsers ads section added in, which is not the case with TV. 

TV companies also often have to actually make their programs at some huge costs, or buy them in, You Tubers provide their content for free, often just wanting to share it with others, as we share our content here for free. You Tubers do not make vast sums from sharing content, I have a channel from which I receive the huge amount of £0.

They say a fool and his money are soon parted, and if you're willing to pay for what others are sharing, what does that say about you. 🤔

Theres alot of folk that pay some money in to briskoda graham ,does that make us fools ?

Edited by Mickvrs220
  • Like 3
  • Groan 1