Sasha’s Octavia vRS

1 hour ago, Dave77 said:

My sat nav showed 100 on screen as I hit the M25, not sure where it gets its data from but someone was having a laugh!

Could well have seen a 100kph sticker on a foreign vehicle. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Baillie said:

Brilliant thread! Ordered myself some chrome key ends and silicone case that I didn't even know I needed! :D

Do all Octavias have the personal key thing (setting mirrors etc)? If so, then I'll be getting a couple of silicone key covers to differentiate mine & Mrs Statto's keys

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SashaGrace said:

I think it is better on cars with nav as they use data from the mapping system to counteract extraneous readings but it’s not a perfect system. Stuff like TSR is always improving though as cars get more autonomous.

Sat nav didn't help with mine. But then it is the MIB1 unit. I suspect things improved with your MIB2 unit.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Mr Statto said:

Do all Octavias have the personal key thing (setting mirrors etc)? If so, then I'll be getting a couple of silicone key covers to differentiate mine & Mrs Statto's keys

Seller on ebay sells the with diff colours. Good fit and quality for price.

151792428308521404068.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Statto said:

Mine doesn’t have the personal key settings and memory. My Mercedes does and the facelift courtesy car I had (the blue one a few pages back) had it as well.

24 minutes ago, WayTooTall said:

Sat nav didn't help with mine. But then it is the MIB1 unit. I suspect things improved with your MIB2 unit.

The unit in my car is a MIB1 Bolero, so no nav. I thought for a moment you may be psychic there ;) I’ll say no more for now :D

My MK3 FL came with 3 keys so after reading Sasha's post about the silicon covers I bought 3. Red, blue and black so now it's easy for us to pick up our own personal key with it's individual settings.

Also got a rear bumper protector and the led mega boot lights from Superskoda.

I was happy with the car as it was but reading all the things Sasha altered I just had to make a few minor changes !

obdeleven next ? Can i resist?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If it’s an fl you have I would probably say it’s not worth it as the adaptation channels have been changed. I hear HBA, alarm chirp, needle sweep and twin rear fogs have been done though so if it’s worth £60 to you to do all that I would certainly recommend it. I’m on over 200 credits now as I don’t use them and that’s just from logging on daily and adding the 5 free credits and it does give me bonus ones most days as well. Bumper protector and LED’s are on my list along with footwell lighting but I’ve spent my allocated car mods budget this month so will try again next month haha.

12 minutes ago, fergiet said:

My MK3 FL came with 3 keys so after reading Sasha's post about the silicon covers I bought 3. Red, blue and black so now it's easy for us to pick up our own personal key with it's individual settings.

Also got a rear bumper protector and the led mega boot lights from Superskoda.

I was happy with the car as it was but reading all the things Sasha altered I just had to make a few minor changes !

obdeleven next ? Can i resist?

5 minutes ago, SashaGrace said:

If it’s an fl you have I would probably say it’s not worth it as the adaptation channels have been changed. I hear HBA, alarm chirp, needle sweep and twin rear fogs have been done though so if it’s worth £60 to you to do all that I would certainly recommend it. I’m on over 200 credits now as I don’t use them and that’s just from logging on daily and adding the 5 free credits and it does give me bonus ones most days as well. Bumper protector and LED’s are on my list along with footwell lighting but I’ve spent my allocated car mods budget this month so will try again next month haha.

https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?resid=3AE6945C79E4C9E!17729&app=OneNote&authkey=!AMn8y885S2R-6Xg

The above document lists a great deal

of items that can be changed on the FL model.  It’s in German. But, a bit of time with Google translate and it’s easy to work out what’s what. Translate EVERYTHING that’s written for each adaptation though. There are warnings that need to be read prior to making some changes. You don’t want to be half way through and then hit the warning. 

• Like 2

It's update time! After a lot of pondering I have decided a MIB2 unit had to be done, however I wasn't prepared to pay for a Columbus so I ended up spending £270 on an Amundsen unit and 6.5 inch screen from a breaker 2016 Scout.

Here is what I had, the old 5.8 inch screened MIB1 Bolero

40137459482_f1cb3813bf_b.jpg

MIB2 Install by SashaGrace, on Flickr

39271683505_45b1ef0360_b.jpg

First thing is removal. This is a really easy task in all honesty, just basic radio tools are needed.

40170290871_b333760303_b.jpg

28390036949_8419eda06f_b.jpg

The next step is to remove the climate panel which requires no tools.

26297381038_b5c5717096_b.jpg

Finally, remove the lower panel for the Aux/USB

26297370968_e4ee6f4364_b.jpg

Change over the old USB for the new one by pulling the tabs and sliding it out

39459255464_e37168f411_b.jpg

Refitting is the reverse of the removal, except it looks much better :)

39459256984_71bcabdc4b_b.jpg

On the first switch on, you'll see this

40170251951_30f67f6e53_b.jpg

The car was taken to the dealers today to have the component protection removed which they did in about 15 mins and it was all working, nav, voice commands, the lot but when they tried to activate the SmartLink we lost the nav and voice commands because the car never had nav :( The radio makes sound though, and all the music and media features work nicely as below

26297380798_dcba9201f1_b.jpg

SD card

25298695667_2c45d5f9c4_b.jpg

BT Audio

26297314388_1aaf9c18da_b.jpg

USB

25299049217_d1caf67392_b.jpg

Radio

25298694807_d0f5b01679_b.jpg

Phone

40170335701_b8ddf60441_b.jpg

All the Green score and settings work as they should but ofc there's loads of boxes that can't be ticked on my car as the Scout this came from was clearly a well equipped car and has stuff mine doesn't have. I have contacted a member on here about getting everything else activated including the SmartLink and all that can be done for not a large sum of money. I will remove the radio and send it off in a couple of months when I'm on holiday and won't have to worry about driving around with no radio (that'll drive me nuts) for a bit. For now though, I'm happy as the dealer lost the nav which did appear to work so they didn't charge me for the job which was nice and I haven't lost any features from my Bolero and I have gained some (bigger screen, better sound and full USB support). The rest will be done, it's just a case of time. Even sending this unit away, its still gunna work out pretty cheap IMO :D

Edited by SashaGrace
  • Like 1

If you have the budget, it’s certainly worth it just to go for one that has MIB2 factory installed. SmartLink doesn’t have to be done by a dealer, but it’s a software hack if it’s outside a dealer visit. As I found out today, it’s £120 for the SmartLink activation and 20 mins labour to fit it. You worked out my plan haha, yeah down the link I want to fit the new 8 inch screen and glossy climate panel but for now I want to concentrate on getting the functions working before I spend £££ on another screen.

• Like 1

Great work @SashaGrace on the MIB2 retrofit! The increased screen size and better resolution of the MIB2 Amundsen units are compared to MIB1, make it very much worthwhile! On the subject of component protection, was the dealer relatively open to removing it or a bit cagey? How much did they charge to remove it?

Edited by ahenners
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, arnold said:

Likewise I was looking at the glossy screen for 200 rubs a nice upgrade and easy to do but not all the buttons works as they should so im lead to believe. 

The APP button doesn’t work as it won’t shortcut back to the SmartLink, but the rest does. Only think that would bother me is the lighting is white and the rest is green but we can fix that ;)

6 minutes ago, ahenners said:

Great work @SashaGrace on the MIB2 retrofit! The increased screen size and better resolution of the MIB2 Amundsen units are compared to MIB1, make it very much worthwhile! On the subject of component protection, was the dealer relatively open to removing it or a bit cagey? How much did they charge to remove it?

Thanks. The dealer charged me £0.00 for the removal of CP as they lost the nav and voice commands when they tried to program SmartLink. Otherwise the bill would have been £15-20 as quoted by the service manager. They were open to trying it and were very happy to do it for me. Tbf the master tech tried 15 times automatically and manually to get the nav and voice commands back after they lost them but couldn’t so they didn’t charge me. I didn’t really want nav, just SmartLink but as the Amundsen happened to be available cheaply I had it instead.

7 minutes ago, SashaGrace said:

Thanks. The dealer charged me £0.00 for the removal of CP as they lost the nav and voice commands when they tried to program SmartLink. Otherwise the bill would have been £15-20 as quoted by the service manager. They were open to trying it and were very happy to do it for me. Tbf the master tech tried 15 times automatically and manually to get the nav and voice commands back after they lost them but couldn’t so they didn’t charge me. I didn’t really want nav, just SmartLink but as the Amundsen happened to be available cheaply I had it instead.

That's even better then! B) I suspect most dealers could not be bothered with the effort and would just say 'it can't be done" as other members have found with retrofit stuff. I remember you saying in my topic though the other day that you had good customer relations with the dealer and the Service Manager.

Edited by ahenners
  • Like 1

I do, I am lucky with that one. The workshop was quiet today so I was able to hang around and speak to the tech who was trying to load the SmartLink. Nobody pulled a face about it, once I explained why I’d upgraded the radio everyone just nodded and got on with trying to make it work. The tech was annoyed he couldn’t get the nav working again to the point he took an auto scan from another car with a MIB2 Amundsen to try and set the controllers in my car for nav but the main VW systems in German said no. Only way back into the nav will be with a hack I guess but I am prepared to go for that, just will hold off a bit because I don’t want to be without the radio on a 600 mile a week commute so will wait for the holidays to send it off :)

• Like 1

Why not instal MIB II FL? I have MIB I Amudsen and want to replace it but way to expencive over here in Croatia.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SashaGrace said:

Cost. This is a MIB2 unit from 2016 but the new FL display will just plug in and work. I will get one down the line when I’ve had all the functions activated. My radio will be going to Poland for the software to be sorted :)

Interesting! I'd definitely update my MIB1 Amundsen, if only for the neat radio station logos :blink: 

Are dealers generally ok to do the component protection? 

Edited by Dave77
  • Like 1