Sasha’s Octavia vRS

23 minutes ago, JohnnyType2 said:

so can the strip change colour?  im pretty sure mine doesnt.

On a Facelift the DRLs are in the same location as the indicator, in a strip along the bottom. I don't think the pre-FL is.

• Like 1

Correct, pre-facelift has a crappy looking orange halogen bulb for the indicator. It looks completely out of place next to LED DRL and Xenon. Not easily replaceable either. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ahenners said:

Correct, pre-facelift has a crappy looking orange halogen bulb for the indicator. It looks completely out of place next to LED DRL and Xenon. Not easily replaceable either. 

If I’m correct do you have to break part of the light housing and then use a little kit to reseal the unit? 

• Like 1

Just now, Madmax889 said:

If I’m correct do you have to break part of the light housing and then use a little kit to reseal the unit? 

Yes. It's very difficult to get to as well without removing the headlights, which requires bumper removal, as there's limited space behind.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ahenners said:

Yes. It's very difficult to get to as well without removing the headlights, which requires bumper removal, as there's limited space behind.

I suppose I could get a tech at work to do it for me and then change the bulb to LED I don’t like the egg effect. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Madmax889 said:

I suppose I could get a tech at work to do it for me and then change the bulb to LED I don’t like the egg effect. 

Last time I looked there weren't many suitable LED replacements that worked well in bright daylight. It's not a particularly common fitment and most of the bulbs I've seen are too long to fire back into the reflective surface of the headlamp.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ahenners said:

already replaced with clear led units, i found it simple tbh.

took about 20 mins a side and had to do some cutting but this was easy with a flat circular wood bit and flexy shaft for the drill.

The kit for sealing it is £8 from skoda and the screw holes are already in place.

i chose short led correct fitment and they are a good deal brighter.

the bulbs i had problems finding were the rear fogs, i couldnt find any LEDs brighter than the halogen H16s already in place,

Edited by JohnnyType2
  • Like 1

Just now, JohnnyType2 said:

already replaced with clear led units, i found it simple tbh.

took about 20 mins a side and had to do some cutting but this was easy with a flat circular wood bit and flexy shaft for the drill.

The kit for sealing it is £8 from skoda and the screw holes are already in place.

Which LED did you use? Do you have a video of it in action in bright daylight? I replaced mine some time ago but they simply weren't bright enough. Looked fine towards sunset and it started to go dark.

• Like 1

Just now, ahenners said:

Which LED did you use? Do you have a video of it in action in bright daylight? I replaced mine some time ago but they simply weren't bright enough. Looked fine towards sunset and it started to go dark.

i got them on aliexpress, i have a spare set ill dig them out. Ill try top get a vid up once this blizzard stops.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, JohnnyType2 said:

i got them on aliexpress, i have a spare set ill dig them out. Ill try top get a vid up once this blizzard stops.

Thanks that would be awesome, appreciated if it's not too much trouble. No rush though, wait until the weather gets better :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

After sitting tight and waiting for the new lighting goodies to arrive I was aching to get around to fitting them. This weekend has been a disaster. Friday night I had to rush a family member to A&E as they were having a heart attack. Saturday was spent in bed mostly, recovering from being awake for 28 hours. I decided to sort the LED interior light install on Sunday and made  progress.

E86F026B-7F4D-4252-B050-F903BEA0D8EF.thumb.jpeg.993f519841631e4c916029653e0c5e74.jpeg

However, during fitting of the rear LED’s I hit a problem and one LED wouldn’t work no matter which way around it was installed. It tripped the interior lights and caused a short circuit which I reset with OBDEleven and I returned the incandescent bulbs in place. Now I’m in the position where the front interior lights and the boot lights work fine, however the rear lights don’t come on when the doors are opened, but the map lights work independently. If I lock the car with the lights left on, they flash and the boot open warning flashes on the Maxidot. I have no idea why and if anyone can assist I’d be most grateful. No faults are showing on OBDEleven. It’s knocked my confidence a little, but I hope to build it back on time to fit the footwell lights next week.

5F5C9AD5-46E7-4B3A-92D4-F16DE91B6876.thumb.jpeg.a34272c7b360330a84d1db916dad7c3a.jpeg

My worry is that I’ve fried something in the BCM, but hopefully not. If I unplug the rear interior light and leave the front lights on and lock the car, the front interior lights still flash and the boot open graphic still shows.

My radio is now finished and I’m just waiting for the payment to process. Hopefully I’ll have it back very soon!

After last weeks disaster with LED's it appears that they almost work now, everything is as it should be except the rear interior lights don't come on when the door is opened or unlocked. The map lights work though. Very odd, any advice/ideas on that would be much appreciated.

I have had some success installing the LED sidelights.

39055109480_fe0032354b_b.jpg

Octavia LED Conversion by SashaGrace, on Flickr

£3.20 36 LED jobbies from AliExpress

I wasn't even aware the xenon lights had sidelights when buying the car, don't see what use they are (or should I say, were) but it seems someone has been here before me as these dim, pointless little bulbs have previously been replaced for blue tinted bulbs

40864555691_8584381202_b.jpg

Not good enough, but this must be the easiest mod I've done so far, remove the bung and the bulb is a simple push fit.

25992466367_8d72574078_b.jpg

Not much cop in the daytime, but they really come alive at night.

40823272262_16eebf1611_b.jpg

Much more like it! Really lighting up those whiskers now, like a Superb and Octy FL.

40864570101_5889eebaa3_b.jpg

I am very happy with that :) It'll be easter soon and I hope to have some time to give this car a proper detail as I haven't done it yet and over easter my Dad is nipping down to Kent and on the way home is collecting a towbar and boot mat for the car. Lovely.

More soon...

2 minutes ago, SashaGrace said:

Are they? I wonder why that is? Would have thought they would be clear.

Usually work by lifting the right or left indicator stalk when the engines off to give motorists an early warning of parked cars in poor weather condtions if parking in the street but most people don't bother presumably because they think they will end up with a flat battery.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, SashaGrace said:

Sorry, unclear as usual I know about the parking lights feature even though I’ve never used it on any of my cars, just wondering why the bulbs would be blue from the factory.

The MkII vRS was fitted with blue tinted side light bulbs from the factory, even though they weren't wired up.

A number of MkII Superb's also came fitted with the blue W5W bulbs in the headlight.

They don't actually shine blue, still clear.

• Like 1

On 21/12/2017 at 19:47, SashaGrace said:

My silicone key covers have arrived!! I had a red one on the Citigo to match the red centre console. Sadly my other half was not home with it to take a pic of that one with my new ones, but you get the idea. I do love these because I love bright colours so I’m really happy. The grey one is the main key as it matches the car.

41F06AE2-1897-444E-839D-56F479392CD4.thumb.jpeg.d110df3bacb87a57a111a6f97df1457e.jpeg

Close up

2C27DDD0-2A9A-4CBA-A077-6342ED4F18EF.thumb.jpeg.3b32eb6235144dfb160d34710fb24a05.jpeg

2FC07562-F71C-42F1-953D-02F5EF47D65B.thumb.jpeg.e8542e9522bd9f420c6a5ccaa05c94b9.jpeg

And with my Mercedes keys

39CAF812-BFB6-4A75-9089-C36593D82045.thumb.jpeg.a79db753a22238018a6c2a7d61e93eb7.jpeg

Much better!!! It’s not an addiction, I swear. I just like pretty colours :D

How do you find the cover? I got one and find it a little flappy if that makes sense. Not as snug as I'd have hoped for especially need the flip key section.

• Like 1

Can the "whiskers" be coded to be on all the time with the drls ? Tried the "Scandinavian" lights via obdeleven and "whiskers" were on as were rear lights but the light switch was also illuminated as if parking lights were on. 

Auto light setting not illuminated. Went back to standard as my other half  liked to see confirmation of auto setting.

• Like 1