Sasha’s Octavia vRS

48 minutes ago, BGB said:

I have no idea if you have what is needed, and as to the «65 plate» thing I say the same as I say to the imperial system, get a grip UK 😛

Sorry, didn't realise. 2015 car :) It's an EL and I know it will do Android Auto if I pay to have some module installed, but no idea about Connect.

2 hours ago, BGB said:

System info, car location, range, fuel level info, heating/cooling. Open/lock door and windows, flash and honk, health rapport, travel planner to mention a few. 

Yes but I’d have to pay £100 per year for that. All nice stuff but nothing worth the extra £££ IMO.

2 hours ago, NikTheGeek said:

So I could open my windows from the phone and unlock my car? 65 plate though if that makes a difference.

Not as standard you can’t, you need one of these radios installed and you need to pay the fee on top.

14 minutes ago, NikTheGeek said:

Anyone know how to remove the pillar trim in the boot of the estate and headlining so I can route the cable for my reversing camera @SashaGrace? :)

tnx

Nick

Off the top of my head I can’t remember but it’s not complex, easier to remove the surrounding trim as well iirc.

To be honest its a cool feature but I doubt it will be used frequently, but I got the first year for free so I can see if its something to sign up for permanently. 

Also, your upgrades on this car Sasha is nothing but pretty epic :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, thompma30 said:

interesting how to get the latest colour graphics, i have the same unit but not colour.

Hi,

When i bought this infotainment and install it, it looks like this.  I can change this menu to Rotation Menu, 

WhatsApp Image 1.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 3.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 4.jpeg

2 hours ago, SashaGrace said:

If you have black and white tiles you are on an old firmware and you need an update to get the colour tiles. There are places to get the new firmware from, pm pab567, I know he has it :)

Thanks, Yes mine has b&w tiles.

IMG_20190524_231242.jpg

IMG_20190524_231251.jpg

On 07/12/2018 at 21:57, JohnnyType2 said:

clever! i wonder can the speed be adjusted with resistors. i have the full length ones but im not brave enough to break out the headlamp. they can be cut to size and look just like these (the white inner portion)

I would really like to find this running led mirror lights for my Superb 3 if someone knows where I could get them? Because I can find them just for octavia and other VW cars...

On ‎29‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 18:17, SashaGrace said:

After changing the door controllers to ones that support folding mirrors, we have...

I will be doing this mod as soon as I can get to the post office to pick up the delivery.

Just wanted to know if there was anything I needed to look out for when swapping over the door controllers, apart from taking a backup first.

Got a pair of the memory controllers from a Leon.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, SashaGrace said:

Yeah. Unfortunately Leon ones won’t work, everything will be backwards. They need to be Skoda ones sadly. Otherwise no, it’s quite simple to do :)

Ah nuts.

Got a 60 day return on them, so can get that money back ok. Might be tempted to see if I can find a friendly garage to see if they can flash them, as I have seen on Ross Tech someone else having issue with the controllers they bought and they were fine after that.  See what happens when I install them, just so I can validate the mirrors fold.

• Like 1

Tiny original 272 solid rear discs gone, S3 8P callipers and 310 vented rear discs all fitted and sorted at last! This pic also highlights the thicker sidewall on my 235/35/19 tyres vs the old 225 ones. Now I need to cross my fingers the Golf 7 PP rear shields are the same as the 245 ones don’t fit!!

19CC5E43-49F5-41AA-BF65-E8C5F5B2A581.thumb.jpeg.234a37947209ee87e493bbbcad7d84a7.jpeg

Typically, the pad light has come on now to tell me the front ones need doing! Another £55 to ECP for more brembo brake parts.

• Like 3

Let us know how it is under hard braking. Most of my driving is either commuting or family driving. If I upgrade the brakes I want to know it's for good reason not just for faster driving.

• Like 1

They seem decent so far but they are brand new and need bed in time. A lot of the improvement is likely to come from having new hardware rather than bigger discs but the extra surface area and the fact that the discs are vented is bound to help. They’ll be getting some track use in a month or so around Donington Park :)

• Like 3

On 30/05/2019 at 19:23, SashaGrace said:

Tiny original 272 solid rear discs gone, S3 8P callipers and 310 vented rear discs all fitted and sorted at last! This pic also highlights the thicker sidewall on my 235/35/19 tyres vs the old 225 ones. Now I need to cross my fingers the Golf 7 PP rear shields are the same as the 245 ones don’t fit!!

19CC5E43-49F5-41AA-BF65-E8C5F5B2A581.thumb.jpeg.234a37947209ee87e493bbbcad7d84a7.jpeg

Typically, the pad light has come on now to tell me the front ones need doing! Another £55 to ECP for more brembo brake parts.

Are the s3 8p calipers the same as ones already fitted to the vrs.  Sure the calipers and carriers are the same on most models with a normal handbrake.   it's just the backplates and discs that are different

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, vrsadz said:

Are the s3 8p calipers the same as ones already fitted to the vrs.  Sure the calipers and carriers are the same on most models with a normal handbrake.   it's just the backplates and discs that are different

Be careful & don't make any assumptions with the rear 310mm ventilated discs setup, it's quite confusing.

What @SashaGrace has done is to fit Mk3fl brakes on to a Mk3, the Mk3fl has a wider rear track with factory modified hubs & therefore, had to used the S3 8p calipers however, the 4 x 4 back plates don't fit hopefully, the two wheel drive vRS245 black plates will.

Out of interest Sasha, what pad fitting are those s3 8p ATE or TRW ? it was a right royal PITA finding upgrade pads for TRW type on mine

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, vrsadz said:

No the 272 ones aren’t the same, the 310mm callipers and carriers are much larger and the carriers are cut out to take the much thicker vented discs.

34 minutes ago, themanwithnoaim said:

Be careful & don't make any assumptions with the rear 310mm ventilated discs setup, it's quite confusing.

What @SashaGrace has done is to fit Mk3fl brakes on to a Mk3, the Mk3fl has a wider rear track with factory modified hubs & therefore, had to used the S3 8p calipers however, the 4 x 4 back plates don't fit hopefully, the two wheel drive vRS245 black plates will.

Out of interest Sasha, what pad fitting are those s3 8p ATE or TRW ? it was a right royal PITA finding upgrade pads for TRW type on mine

The vRS 245 backplates don’t fit, the 245 discs don’t fit either so god knows what’s gone on to make the track wider on the FL but it’s quite extensive. I think Golf 7 PP and CS backplates fit but they are on back order for now. The discs and pads are brembo fitment for the S3 8P.

2 hours ago, SashaGrace said:

No the 272 ones aren’t the same, the 310mm callipers and carriers are much larger and the carriers are cut out to take the much thicker vented discs.

The vRS 245 backplates don’t fit, the 245 discs don’t fit either so god knows what’s gone on to make the track wider on the FL but it’s quite extensive. I think Golf 7 PP and CS backplates fit but they are on back order for now. The discs and pads are brembo fitment for the S3 8P.

@SashaGrace where did you source the calipers and carriers from 

3 hours ago, themanwithnoaim said:

Out of interest Sasha, what pad fitting are those s3 8p ATE or TRW ?

Mine are TRW and had no issue finding pads for them. All makes of road pads readily available likes of ECP. I could only see Yellowstuff pads listed along with disks but they do them. As default I type in MK5 Golf R32 2006. 

If the disks are different and the dust shields too I would bet the caliper or carrier on the 245 is different from everything else that has used the 310 mm rear brake.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, flybynite said:

If the disks are different and the dust shields too I would bet the caliper or carrier on the 245 is different from everything else that has used the 310 mm rear brake.

Yeah I had to used the ETKA system to find the OEM part No. which was of no help until I looked at the photo which gave the VAG part No. Googled that part No. & found the rear brakes are from the Mk6 Golf R cabriolet!!!

Obvious really, the one thing I did know was that I wasn't having OEM pads again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, vrsadz said:

@SashaGrace where did you source the calipers and carriers from 

eBay :)

8 hours ago, shyVRS245 said:

Hi Sasha just booked my Track session at Trax 2019 at Donington for 15:20. Do you know your track time just out of interest. Sunday 14th July. TIA shy.:thumbup:

Ummmmm, I think I’m 16:20, a few of us are going at that time from the Mk3 group. I’ll have to check.

• Thanks 1

I've just finished reading this thread, it reminds me of how much I missed having an Octavia over the last 6 years or so.   All of my previous Octavia's have been modified in one way or another but my latest one is going to remain standard! 🤣

Hats of to you for being such an ambassador & showing what these cars are truly capable of.

• Thanks 1

Thanks :) I hope to have a positive update on a project I’ve been working on with this car today, it’s not been going all that well lately haha. My attention has been taken away somewhat with preparing my Dad’s new arrival.

E1C7FB29-B37D-4023-88CB-CA1B6860ABA6.thumb.jpeg.b28abcb28c5567265f49a9b90bd05156.jpeg