Sasha’s Octavia vRS

Since you have retrofitted an RVC, i have an question.

When you switch from reverse to drive, do your camera still shows on the screen for i while?
Mine just shuts off immediately when i take it from reverse.

My other car (Golf R 2016) have visible picture for about 10s before it shuts off and i like that.
Something that can be coded?

Regards /Johan

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Obalaan said:

When you switch from reverse to drive, do your camera still shows on the screen for i while?

My other car (Golf R 2016) have visible picture for about 10s before it shuts off and i like that.

Regards /Johan

it normally turns off when you go above a certain speed

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Obalaan said:

Regards /Johan

Where have you powered it from? They should stay on for a while but if you engage Park on a DSG that shuts them off.

Hi , I have a 2018 6 speed manual 1.5 TSI (petrol ) SEL Estate fitted with a ( low) reversing camera bought via AliExpress it is wired for 12 volts to the permanent live 12 volt socket in the boot ( trunk) . The  infotainment system is Amundsen MIB 2 . The reverse  camera display goes off immediately after disengaging reverse gear. 

11 hours ago, SashaGrace said:

Where have you powered it from? They should stay on for a while but if you engage Park on a DSG that shuts them off.

I took the power from rear lights so it has power permanent.

Something i missed in the coding maybe?

1 hour ago, SashaGrace said:

Is it’s a manual? The DSG cars shut it off in Park but keep it on in N or D with the sensor display.

It´s a DSG and it shuts off even i D or N 😞

The sensor display stays on though

Edited by Obalaan

I had the same issue for an aftermarket rearcamera, it was a problem of wrong power source.

I connected the rear camera to the rear bulb (so it was powered only with selection of R gear) and this is wrong because infotainment system communicates with the camera via control unit and if the camera loses the power with the selection of a different gear the system considers it as an error (infact the message Park Pilot not available appeared).

So the rear camera must be connected with a always-on power source, in my case a Skoda engineer quickly fixed the issue connecting the power source to the rear position lights (I had no time and money to replace the cabling as the right and official wiring method)

Now camera stay on for a while after the parking and/or above a certain speed it shuts down as expected.

Of course it must be activated via ODB

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/09/2020 at 12:15, SashaGrace said:

Is it’s a manual? The DSG cars shut it off in Park but keep it on in N or D with the sensor display.

I measured the cables now.
It has constant power on red and black so it should work?
I don´t have my installguide :(
What guide did you follow?

Could you link so i can double check the cables?
Or maybe some coding i have missed.
I do think i have an fault code under reverse camera, something about databus error.

I will check the fault codes.

thumbnail.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SashaGrace said:

Could be a camera or radio firmware thing. Mine only goes off in Park, the rest of the time it stays on for a bit but then I’ve observed this behaviour in every car I’ve done with various radios and camera firmwares.

Mine has the latest firmware and i have a OEM highline camera.

Edited by Obalaan
  • Like 1

For me, it was enough perform following coding (my Octavia doesn't have any parking sensor, any park assistant and stuff like that, I just installed the rear camera):

5F Infotainment > 07 Long Coding > Byte 19 enable Bit 4 reverse_camera_low

The tricky point is to connect the camera to the right power source, camera must be always on.

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/03/2020 at 14:52, SashaGrace said:

Also got another one...

DF1EF2D7-E5C2-4935-8F82-E862756E610E.thumb.jpeg.d7e8a18cbb15e2057fd99e0e4a4f590b.jpeg

Sasha where did you get this one? I presume it was to replace the cheap one you had?

Looking at fitting one to my 63 plate , other than cutting a bigger hole looks straight forward. Famous last words

11 minutes ago, pip_vrs said:

Sasha where did you get this one? I presume it was to replace the cheap one you had?

Looking at fitting one to my 63 plate , other than cutting a bigger hole looks straight forward. Famous last words

vwmodul.de :)