1.5 SEL first gear issue.

Janner74

40 minutes ago, pryorkshire said:

Had to take my 1.5 into Hayselden Skoda due to an intermittent misfire and they have updated the engine management software. Pulls away a lot smoother and engine performs better between 1,000 to 2,000 rpm.  

That’s very interesting, even though I said it’s only mildly annoying and intermittent, it’s still annoying enough to want it to stop, I think I’ll pop in to skoda and ask. 

1 hour ago, Offski said:

pryorkshire, 

how many miles has your car done,

& what was done, just checked for fault codes and then the Software Update or were the spark plugs removed, inspected and replaced?

Just over 4,000 miles.  Was driving slowly down a narrow road when the car suddenly lost power and was running of 3 cylinders.  Called out AA who read fault codes, saw number 2 cylinder was misfiring but he couldn't read some other VW specific fault codes.  Car restarted ok and drove over 250 miles home ok.  Took it into Hayselden Skoda who could read all fault codes.  They then decided the car needed upgraded engine management software.  Car now definitely drives smoother at low engine revs.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My wife brought her car into our local Skoda dealer today with the first gear issue. When collecting the car she spoke to the service manager. They confirmed that there is an issue with the car in first gear and that they spoke to Skoda Ireland regarding a solution. Skoda Ireland told the dealer not touch the car and they have acknowledged that they know about the problem, but that they don't have a solution at present. But they're may be a possible software update in the future.

My wife is very pi**ed off about this reply and feels like she's being fobbed off and I can't blame her to be honest. The car has cut out numerous times with our 3 and 5 year old in the car. In fairness it restarts automatically, but there is still a delay in getting the car moving again, so its a safety hazard particularly at a major busy junction.

We've decided to push Skoda on the issue and if they can't resolve the issue in a reasonably timeframe. We'll take it further and speak to a solicitor and try reject the car as its not fit for purpose, also on safety grounds.

I got my car in late June. What I experienced then, was that accelerator was very sensitive when starting. Other than that (which is something you easily get used to) no kangaroo effect. None so obvious anyway. About a week ago after an oil change when tried to drive out my garage, I had an ecu fault and engine run with arithmea. Switched off and on again and problem disappeared. When drove to the service centre they plugged in the car and according to the fault code the mechanic suggested an ecu update. The funny thing is that after the update I have the kangaroo effect when starting in 1st gear, in low revs. No comment!!!

Edited by fidelio
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, fidelio said:

When drove to the service centre they plugged in the car and according to the fault code the mechanic suggested an ecu update. The funny thing is that after the update I have the kangaroo effect when starting in 1st gear, in low revs. No comment!!!

Wow, great service.... not!

20 hours ago, fidelio said:

had an ecu fault and engine run with arithmea. Switched off and on again and problem disappeared.

Not sure what "engine run with arithmea" is but interesting that you have also had an engine fault that then cleared when you switched off and then back on, exactly as mine did.  The ecu update has definitely improved my 1st gear pulling away, now only get the flat spot pulling away when the engine is cold.  However this does make it difficult pulling away on the hill a few yards from home if I have to stop for the traffic lights.  However as I say it is a lot better than it was.

1 hour ago, pryorkshire said:

Not sure what "engine run with arithmea" is but interesting that you have also had an engine fault that then cleared when you switched off and then back on, exactly as mine did.  The ecu update has definitely improved my 1st gear pulling away, now only get the flat spot pulling away when the engine is cold.  However this does make it difficult pulling away on the hill a few yards from home if I have to stop for the traffic lights.  However as I say it is a lot better than it was.

It would be interesting to know what version your ecu is now at.

Had my Karoq 1.5 manual 3 months now and still the same problem of moving off smoothly which is impossible unless the revs are kept above 2000.

Visited dealer (Rainworth Skoda) today to ask for any update. They finally accepted there is a known problem and that a fix is currently being worked on at Skoda. A recall will be issued when the fix is available.

At last something is being done!!

Just as a secondary issue, the revs have started rising and then falling on stopping when my foot is on the brake and not on the gas. Interesting!

I believe others have experienced this also.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A TPI, a Service Campaign, even a Recall Action but not a Recall as the DVLA / DVSA will not give them Registered Keepers contact details and all Keepers cars Recalled.

http://master.skoda-auto.com/mini-apps/recall-actions

Some will say, who cares, why does it matter, it matters because years on there will be people buying these cars and on here asking about the exact same thing.

Keep the name of the Master Tech or Workshop Manager you deal with, 

and be sure your concerns are logged on the system and you get what you are told in writing.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/453993-rejected-diesel-back-up-for-sale-warning

If you want to raise concerns with your car then speak with the Warranty Providers.

http://skoda.co.uk/about-us/contact-us

Edited by Offski

29 minutes ago, AMC150 said:

Had my Karoq 1.5 manual 3 months now and still the same problem of moving off smoothly which is impossible unless the revs are kept above 2000.

Visited dealer (Rainworth Skoda) today to ask for any update. They finally accepted there is a known problem and that a fix is currently being worked on at Skoda. A recall will be issued when the fix is available.

At last something is being done!!

Just as a secondary issue, the revs have started rising and then falling on stopping when my foot is on the brake and not on the gas. Interesting!

I believe others have experienced this also.

Mine is going in tomorrow about the 1st gear issue, I’ll be showing them this thread if they say there’s nothing wrong, mine also does the revs thing sometimes when I stop with my foot still on the break, also when sat at lights it’ll sometimes just rev the engine of its own accord, it all must be linked. 

47 minutes ago, Offski said:

A TPI, a Service Campaign, even a Recall Action but not a Recall as the DVLA / DVSA will not give them Registered Keepers contact details and all Keepers cars Recalled.

http://master.skoda-auto.com/mini-apps/recall-actions

Some will say, who cares, why does it matter, it matters because years on there will be people buying these cars and on here asking about the exact same thing.

Keep the name of the Master Tech or Workshop Manager you deal with, 

and be sure your concerns are logged on the system and you get what you are told in writing.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/453993-rejected-diesel-back-up-for-sale-warning

If you want to raise concerns with your car then speak with the Warranty Providers.

http://skoda.co.uk/about-us/contact-us

Recall was just my choice of words. Don’t care what they call it so long as they fix it.

• Like 1

'They' call up people and say,  'There is a Recall'.  you ask sometimes 'what is it for?' and they say 'I do not know the details'.

They are Service Desk staff with their Customer Contact Number, maybe the ex owners number.

That is them Recalling,  and cars on the Forecourt for sale might not get done, Skoda Approved Used Cars because they came From Stock or Auction & never got Serviced.

That is the issue when they say 'There will be a Recall'.    OK if you get your car done, get the call or the cars is checked at a Main Dealership.

Current DSG failures are Service Campaign '34H5' not haven been done, then DSG's failing.

Edited by Offski

I took delivery of a 1.5 TSI SE Tech a few weeks back as a company car choice and also have the exact same issue, glad I checked on here and that it's not just me!

I have tried all kinds of ways to get it to drive off smoothly and as with others high revs seems to help but it's spoiling what is a good car, once you get moving it's great..... the other thing I found to my horror was no CD player :o I'd assumed it would be in the glovebox like in my previous car the Octavia Estate, this old luddite may have to finally move with the times and get some music downloaded on to my phone!

I have done 1200 miles now so It can't be a bedding in type thing, I'm going to see what my local dealership have to say. I will try the ECO mode and see how I go, I have tried changing to comfort so far without any luck.

Took mine in yesterday, fella from dealership drove it about 20 yards this way and that and said he couldn’t notice anything wrong, claims no one else has been in saying theres an issue, showed him the thread but just said he’ll take the mileage and inform Skoda and see what they say. 

It wouldn’t bother me if they just said that there is an issue but we’re waiting for a fix, at least you’d know one was coming. 

Just got off the phone to Lookers Skoda Stockport, they have said I'm the only person to report an issue which doesn't fill me with hope. :rolleyes: I mentioned lots of other people having the issue on the forum and they annoyingly dismissed it as non official :angry:

Still it's booked in anyway for the earliest date with a Courtesy Car which is the 19th :ohmy: I'm too far out for getting a bus/train back easily and they want £12 for a collect service!