1.5 SEL first gear issue.

Janner74

Even 67 plate manual cars like ours have not noticed anything odd when tested one year ago. Wouldn't surprise me if all manual 1.5Tsi Karoq's given to the press have had their ECU's played with by someone and told to keep quiet about it to iron out the inherent jerkiness which has been present from the earliest customer cars. All early press cars were Edition DIESEL DSG models that I have watched online, going back to late 2017 and early 2018.:blink:

• Like 1

Feb 2019 issue of what car reviewed a 68 plate Seat Ateca manual 1.5 EVO, and still didn't mention kangarooing or hesitancy! (although it did have a traction control system?).

Also it gave a 'true mpg' of 44.5 average - not the sort of values we're getting in normal driving. They had the cheek to assume the Karoq mpg is the same as it is 'mechanically similar' to the Seat Ateca.

Another case of 'special' review car software I think.

• Like 1

I can’t understand, if it problem is firmware why «kangaroo jerking» changes with mileage. 

In my case:

- 20km - don’t have kangaroo

20-400km - unbearable kangaroo

400-4350km - enough  strong kangaroo

4350km - now kangaroo a little noticeable.

From this morning jerking still have but much less than usual o_O

I totally agree with you, mine seems to vary from day to day with no obvious cause, I've tried to look at it from a scientific point of view with air temperature, humidity etc but only yesterday I drove ten miles with only limited kangarooing, I parked up came out two hours later and the kangaroo had returned with a vengeance.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Apprentice said:

I have noticed but only a couple of times the low power low gear and stalling in first gear issue with the engine restarting itself on depressing the clutch.

The stop start system wasn't activated by the dealership when I collected the car and it still hasn't been by me.

I went through this two times already and thought I did something wrong... but today it did it again and indeed the engine restarted itself on depressing the clutch - with the stop/start system deactivated. Does anyone else experienced this, can it have the same root cause as the kangarooing?

10 hours ago, R1200R said:

Anybody else had a reply ?

I emailed but haven't heard anything back from them. I'd be only too willing to tell them my story

I got a reply from DVSA, Interesting that "the media" are beginning to sit up and take notice now. Perhaps VWAG will now do something.

No. I messaged them too but through the website.  

9 hours ago, Apprentice said:

The stop start system wasn't activated by the dealership when I collected the car and it still hasn't been by me.

The Stop-start system is active by default. To keep it off, you have to do it manually deactivate it after each engine start.

11 hours ago, kifir said:

It is looks like as if you didn't give enough gas?

If yes, I often watched this in his car

It might be but then why did the engine automatically restarted? I was very surprised and I remember that I specifically looked at the Start/Stop button and it was surely deactivated. 

In order to answer agedbriar, you can ask the dealer to de-activate this sytsem with the VAG-COM and it will not automatically activate when you start the engine. I know people who did this on various VAG cars.

1 hour ago, Abu said:

It might be but then why did the engine automatically restarted? I was very surprised and I remember that I specifically looked at the Start/Stop button and it was surely deactivated. 

In order to answer agedbriar, you can ask the dealer to de-activate this sytsem with the VAG-COM and it will not automatically activate when you start the engine. I know people who did this on various VAG cars.

Probably we are talking about different things. 

My car sometimes restarts the engine when I try to start slowly, as if I didn't give enough gas.

About start-srop. My dealer refused to disable this option, as it is related to ecology.

Nevertheless, it can be done independently, for example using obdeleven. But since we have a problem with the car, I would not touch anything until it ascertained :(

15 hours ago, Abu said:

I went through this two times already and thought I did something wrong... but today it did it again and indeed the engine restarted itself on depressing the clutch - with the stop/start system deactivated. Does anyone else experienced this, can it have the same root cause as the kangarooing?

Strangely, after travelling over 50 miles, only two days ago, I stopped at some traffic lights. On setting off the engine died and stalled (I've never had it actually stall before) so I quickly depressed the clutch (an automatic reaction on my part) and it started immediately. I always disengage the stop-start before starting a journey, so it was definitely off. The rest of the journey was back to normal i.e juddering and slow take up of power.

3 hours ago, Abu said:

In order to answer agedbriar, you can ask the dealer to de-activate this sytsem with the VAG-COM and it will not automatically activate when you start the engine.

Agreed, but I commented on Apprentice's statement: " The stop start system wasn't activated by the dealership when I collected the car and it still hasn't been by me. "

My point was that it doesn't need to be specifically activated, as it's active by default.

In the new Audi A6 Lane Assist is active as soon as you start the vehicle. You can find in a sub-menu how to de-activate it, however it will automatically become active when you next start the car. So if you don't indicate everytime you try to turn the wheel to change lane the steering wheel will tug against you which could prove very annoying for some lazy customers who think indicators are an optional extra. The reason why it is always active was explained by an engineer at the launch event last year. Audi gains half a point towards Euro NCAP with the system active. More systems like this will be introduced in the next few years as manufacturers bow to the wishes of safety organisations.:thumbdown:

13 hours ago, agedbriar said:

The Stop-start system is active by default. To keep it off, you have to do it manually deactivate it after each engine start.

Thanks, I had a further read of the manual last night and as you say the stop start system is active/on by default.

3 hours ago, fidelio said:

When car stalls, the supression of the clatch restarts the engine. That is a feature introduced by VAG which makes restart quick and safe. So this is a good thing about this engine, after all.

I never tested this but if it's true it would be a welcomed addition. I'll stall the engine on an empty street to see. 

I am talking about start/stop off setting . The feature is not an anti-stall mechanism, cause if it was it would prevent you from stalling in the first place.

"Cars that stall & that have 'Anti Stall' is a car not functioning as the Engineers designed and engineered 'anti-stall' to operate"

This is an assumption you are making with no evidence

• Confused 1

Maybe something getting lost in translation.

Lets generalise.   Most people understand 'Stalling'  understand 'stop / start' enabled and functioning, and grasp what kangerooing is, or mis-fires, 

cut power, Traction / Control or ASR etc etc.  

If you have a dodgy car then that is what you have.   If the software / engine management is crap then 'disabling stop / start' might be a mistake while the 

'faulty software' is under investigation IMO.

As it is if the Stop / Start functions as and when it should, then there is a Off Button if you want it off at each time you start the car.

If the Anti-Stall works with a Manual with Stop / Start switched off that is all good.

PS

Usually Dealership Employees tell drivers they can not Disable the Stop Start.

Yet as soon as Customers have dodgy batteries, dodgy Stop / Start function etc they will happily 'Disable' Stop Start while VW Investigate,

or other such lies get told and time is wasted while a solution is found.

VORSPRUNG DURCH TECHNIK,  as years go by the same lies are told in what ever language. German, Czech, Spanish, English or American English.

Edited by Skoffski

4 hours ago, fidelio said:

When car stalls, the supression of the clatch restarts the engine. That is a feature introduced by VAG which makes restart quick and safe. So this is a good thing about this engine, after all.

Same thing happens with my Yeti diesel, so not just that engine.

OK, tested this and it works just like "advertised". Started the engine, turned off the Stop/Start system, put my foot on the break and released the clutch. The car obviously stalled. As soon as I depressed the clutch the engine started automatically. Nice feature indeed.

Hi all. Just acquired my Sokda Superb Sportline 1.5 TSI 150 manual gearbox. . I know it is not a Karoq but  wanted to give a feedback about this engine.
The car runs very smothly, no kangorooing at all, no dying. So I'm very satisfied.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, maxkh said:

Hi all. Just acquired my Sokda Superb Sportline 1.5 TSI 150 manual gearbox. . I know it is not a Karoq but  wanted to give a feedback about this engine.
The car runs very smothly, no kangorooing at all, no dying. So I'm very satisfied.

I did not feel the kangaroo on the first day, it started later. 

The problem of a kangaroo is not at all 1.5, a lot of cars without this problem.

very cool that you are lucky!))