1.5 SEL first gear issue.

Janner74

1 hour ago, COYIWELLS said:

For what it is worth I picked up my new 1.5 TSI SEL DSG yesterday. Happily no "first gear" issue at all. Drive mode was set to "normal"  and the automatic engine stop and start was on.

It seems the only manuals are affected. 

3 hours ago, Michael_DK said:

It's a manual gearbox problem, not a dsg box:biggrin:

See MJ1 post on page 11 which suggests he had a  problem with his DSG box.... hence my post

Just had a call from a Cherie Cornish at Skoda, didn't confirm or deny any known fault but has left her number if I need to discuss the issue after the car has been in on Friday.

Had a call right after from lookers who still say they have had no issues and i'm the first person to report this and they don't read forums as they tend to lead people down dark alleys, hardly inspires confidence :sadsmile: 

Still lets see what happens Friday.

I would describe my "problem" as more of an observation. When first pulling off it is not always smooth, certainly not a major issue, but not what I would expect. My observation is that maybe DSG mitigates the manual problem?

I hope to have a chat tonight with a manual owner to see how he is getting on...

Just found this snippet in the Telegraph long term review

There's not much low speed torque from the little 1.5-litre engine, so even modest acceleration most often needs a change of gear. And there's also an unpleasant emissions 'hole' in the engine fuel/ignition timing map just when you start off. Failure to rev it enough and the turbo gives up on you and the Karoq stumbles and staggers out of a junction in front of the oncoming Scania.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So now the problem is acknowledged in the national press.

Strange they say "emissions hole", and  give quite a technical explanation, suggests the phrases came from Skoda technical and not a DT journalist, ergo the manufacturer knows and suggests to me it is related to miller cycle operation which is known to be low power/torque compared to conventional otto cycle. And being " emissions", owners may just be stuck with it.

Mainly only manual cars affected and most owners easily fobbed off.

It must be your driving sir as no one else has complained.....:wall:

• Like 2

Re 'Lookers' 

is there a name and job title for the employee saying 'no person has reported this issue before'. ?

It will be interesting to see just how they surveyed their different Branches and the employees in them.

I wonder how many said , 

"they all do that", dismissing owner / drivers concerns.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Offski said:

they all do that"

The problem is they all do,see my earlier contribution ,I believe it's a trait of the engine it needs to be driven differently that's all.

I really don't see VAG fixing this "problem"

• Haha 2

They are not all doing that and seemingly Lookers Delivery Drivers, Sales Persons, Technicians, Fitters and Management have never heard of it or experienced it, 

and are doing nothing about something nobody has issues with.

I bet you VW Group are going to be doing something though for all those that have issues, obviously not customers of staff at Lookers though.

On 12/10/2018 at 18:27, Arkaig said:

Eire - a bit different. 

7 hours ago, COYIWELLS said:

For what it is worth I picked up my new 1.5 TSI SEL DSG yesterday. Happily no "first gear" issue at all. Drive mode was set to "normal"  and the automatic engine stop and start was on.

43 minutes ago, TheRealExile said:

Just found this snippet in the Telegraph long term review

There's not much low speed torque from the little 1.5-litre engine, so even modest acceleration most often needs a change of gear. And there's also an unpleasant emissions 'hole' in the engine fuel/ignition timing map just when you start off. Failure to rev it enough and the turbo gives up on you and the Karoq stumbles and staggers out of a junction in front of the oncoming Scania.

Brilliant!!! Just what we need to achieve some action!!

A safety as I said in one of my early posts. They can ignore the “little person” but not a fault national. Thanks for the post,

28 minutes ago, Offski said:

Re 'Lookers' 

is there a name and job title for the employee saying 'no person has reported this issue before'. ?

It will be interesting to see just how they surveyed their different Branches and the employees in them.

I wonder how many said , 

That was my experience on my first two visits to complain. It was on the third visit they said, “we’ve had three now with this problem”

1 hour ago, Offski said:

Re 'Lookers' 

I wonder how many said , 

To be honest I made the mistake of not paying too much attention to their names, first contact was a Lady who was booking the car in then she put me through to someone in the workshop and today's call back from them was the Service Manager who said he will put his premier technician on it and go for a drive with me on Friday, seems to me they had taken a call from Skoda UK hence the call. I'll be sure to get their names on Friday!

• Like 1

Just post the Branch location,  Rod Mcleod, Paul Wilis or some Skoda / VW UK Senior Management can discuss maybe some Customer Service Training with the Lookers Motor Group Directors.

Their Communications managers seem to be deaf and blind. Maybe nice but dim.

Edited by Offski

Since i have already mentioned that my problem started after an ECU update, it would be useful to gather information of the date the cars were made in order to see if this affects every car or from some point in the production (specific ECU version).

I am pretty sure that some people confuse the situation.

As i ve said, when i first got the car in June, it had something strange about its behavior when pulling away. That was the fact that it would rev up too easily and you had to adjust your way of driving (this was done easily and did not bother me). So that's one category of pulling away issue.

On the other hand when i had the update, this behavior changed and now, when pulling away, most of the times, the revs seems to have a drop instantly and you feel that gap the article mentions. This could be also described as the kangaroo effect. 

I believe that while they tried to smoothen the first behavior, they messed it up and hence the gap. Its very annoying and i don't think you can adapt to it when you don;t have the luxury of giving a bit of revs when pulling away (eg. traffic or junctions).  Despite that though, the mapping of the update seem to have given more torque in the low range of the revs, which was something the car was missing.

5 hours ago, 181ce said:

The problem is they all do,see my earlier contribution ,I believe it's a trait of the engine it needs to be driven differently that's all.

I really don't see VAG fixing this "problem"

So, my 40 odd years of driving cars and motorcycles has all been in vain?

Who'd have thought I'd have to learn how to use a clutch and accelerator in a new way to be able to drive a Karoq! And having mastered that what happens if you then buy a different car! :D

• Like 4

22 hours ago, AMC150 said:

Brilliant!!! Just what we need to achieve some action!!

A safety as I said in one of my early posts. They can ignore the “little person” but not a fault national. Thanks for the post,

Full article here

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/features/skoda-karoq-smallest-czech-suv-long-term-test/

Dropped it off earlier and had the mechanic take it for a decent drive out, he noticed the 'flat spot' right away to be fair.

He's going to run usual diags but also check for new software / a fix.

At least he's admitted it's not right :clap:

Fingers firmly crossed for a fix, failing that I'll have an auto box foc please :dance:

• Haha 1

Just got back from the dealers and the mechanic believes it relates to a known issue around judder which is in their database, sadly as yet there is no fix :sadsmile:

I urge anyone with the issue to get your car in to the dealership if you haven't already, the more people with the issue the more pressure to fix it.

On my health check sheet they have written awaiting Skoda Technical fix.

Here is where the plot thickens!

I rang Skoda UK just now to speak with the person handling my case, She said I have spoken to lookers 1/2 hour ago and they have told me they were unable to replicate the issue :o

I said hang on the mechanic drove it, told me there was a known issue and why is it on my copy of the sheet awaiting Skoda technical fix?

She was very apologetic and is calling the dealership to speak with the mechanic rather than the service advisor.

Lets see what happens next! 

Edited by TheRealExile
Can't spell
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Lookers Stockport need to get their act together with Master Tech to Workshop Manager to Service Desk to which ever random person talks with Skoda UK CS Communications manager.

Always best to have everything in writing and signed and dated, and the name / job title of those that say things. 

• Like 2