1.5 SEL first gear issue.

Janner74

5 minutes ago, fidelio said:

So we might say that update works for MY19 but not MY18

It scares even more 😞

Confirms that they do not know how to fix it

Never again VAG in my life!

• Like 1

In the contrary, I would be surprised if the same software applied for pre and post wltp models. If it's solved for MY19, they will solve it for MY18. Unless they only give a **** about future customers and they don't even bother with old pre-wltp ones.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fidelio said:

In the contrary, I would be surprised if the same software applied for pre and post wltp models. If it's solved for MY19, they will solve it for MY18. Unless they only give a **** about future customers and they don't even bother with old pre-wltp ones.

Alas, so far everything looks exactly as you say ...

I took my 1.5tsi sel  manual karoq registered in May 2018 for its second service yesterday it has done 20000 miles. It hasn't had the kangaroo problem but it has had the flat spot at low speed in second and it could be a bit tricky balancing clutch and accelerator when starting off uphill in first. I asked if the update was available and was told if it was it would be applied while they had it for servicing, well they did the update and things seem to be quite a lot better. When I bring the clutch up in first it now raises the rpm to 1000 and before the update it was 1250rpm it seems to make it easier to balance clutch and accelerator. I can now travel more comfortably around town in traffic in second gear and it responds better to the accelerator at low speeds in second gear. I have done approximately 100 miles since the update and all seems well. There was no mention of it learning over a 600 mile period and I wasn't told the update number, they said it was to solve the judder after start up but seeing as I have never had this problem that seems strange. Anyhow it seems to have improved the other issues so fingers crossed.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Klingaone said:

My 2018 reg may.1.5 manual . Update monday . Now its much better. Almost like my old 1.4 tsi 😀😊. Fingers crossed.

What is the car? 

Do you know what is your update version? 

Just had update on my 2019 Karoq. Did only few kilometers, however, the roo is 99.9% gone and dead range in 2nd seems to be 100% gone. Very satisfied. The kangooroo is still somewhere but not really noticeable or its just me being to sensitive. I would definitely not notice anything if I wouldn't know it used to be there. :)

Been monitoring this topic and the first gear problem for quite awhile now, and based on recent reports decided to bite the bullet and get my dealer to update the software. My specific problem was 1st gear kangarooing. Well job was done this morning and very early indication is that it has improved things, but I will withhold final judgement for a week or two to allow me to check all conditions under which I encountered the problem .....mainly on startup and in cold weather but also with warm engine to a lesser degree.

Vehicle is Karoq SE  1.5 Evo manual built May 2018.

• Like 1

Someone on the VW forum was told there was an update for his MY19 VW and now they are saying there isn’t. Has it been withdrawn? Someone else had been told they are working on another one again. 

The hesitation update has improved the lack of power/drive issue at low revs when in second gear but the k'roo effect is just faintly there at times which is annoying as the car didn't have that problem before the April update and when I recently drove a 69 plate petrol Hyundai Tuscon it drove home how poor the the Karoq is at low revs in 1st and 2nd gear which is even more annoying as it is very good once you get passed that stage.

There is no doubt we are guinea pigs re. the updates and the fact you can not get any reference numbers or whatever to identify the update  your Karoq gets makes me think the most recent improved? ones are possibly not the same as the earlier updates in Q2.

My own Skoda dealership said they could not give me a name for the update I have booked in for, & that it was to investigate juddering. Another dealership told me "engine judder during warm up phase" but they have not seen my car & have already concluded my car does not gave a fault. Are customers given any paperwork with the details on as proof of the work carried out?

I haven't got the paper work to hand right now but it was minimal just one sheet stating the car had been road tested and "hesitation confirmed" so an update would be applied, I seem to remember that a TPI was mentioned but in no way was there any reference numbers etc etc to the update or the TPI. I guess it is a need to know scenario and as far as someone at the top of the food chain in Skoda is concerned the customer is a mushroom to be kept in the dark and fed ****  i.e. the customer doesn't need to be told any details or given any true explanations.

• Like 1

Had Neha from Skoda UK call me advising of software update for juddering, which is separate to the update applied a couple months ago for loss of power when pulling away and in decelerations in 2nd.

She got my local garage, Trust Skoda, to call me and the chap there said that the juddering “issue” does indeed now have a visible TPI associated with it. This is something that both Skoda UK and Trust vehemently denied back in April when I first contacted them after taking delivery of my Karoq. He told me that the incidence of customers taking their issue to Skoda UK compared to the number of those he suspected were affected was minimal and chimed in with his own thoughts on why that might be the cause of it having taken so long to be recognised. Suffice it to say though, he said it was a verified TPI and up to this point getting them to say that has been next to impossible.

So I guess that’s progress - of a sort.

Edited by Stevieweevie

Skoda UK, or the particular customer relations manager have been helpfull in some ways with regard to issues I have/had with my Karoq but it was the same Skoda UK that said there are no faults just characteristics in relation to hesitation and the k'roo problems with the 1.5TSI EVO earlier in the year and that I can't forget.

I did the upgrade yesterday. It is about TPI 2054430/3, released on Sept 3rd.

I owe a VW Tiguan 1.5 TSI DSG, 2019, week 20, with a DADA engine, ECU 05E 906 018 AF.
I have updated the software version from 7418 to 9834

The things have improved from the Roo perspective, the issue is not entirely fixed. It is just harder to reproduce. (sad face)

My OBDeleven device shows a change in terms of the rpms at idle. I.e. it now shows ~930 rpm, instead of ~800 as it was previously if I am not mistaken.

So, I am not sure if I am delivering good or bad news. The car behaves better, but I am not happy with the rpm settings change. I am not sure if I want to fight more with the dealer and VAG. Maybe I will, I don't know.

As a side note, if you don't know already, some people were advised to run 1000 km (600 miles) before the fix is fully functional. I don't think that the behavior will change in time, but let's see.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Driven over 1400 miles since the April update for "hesitation"  and some small issues that presented themselves post update seem to have gone away or is it is just my driving style that has changed?

Before the update my Karoq when started from cold would idle for less than a minute at 1000rpm before staying at 750rpm until 1st gear was engaged and the clutch pedal lifted when the revs would rise to 900 rpm as the clutch bit (an anti stall mechanism), after the update the initial revs when started from cold were 1250rpm and roughly 30 seconds later the revs would fall to 1000rpm and then 1-2 minutes later the revs fell again to 750rpm at warm idle tickover.

The Karoq 1.5TSI EVO is the first VAG vehicle I have bought and I would think twice about buying another VAG vehicle again.

Edited by Apprentice
typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1