1.5 SEL first gear issue.

Janner74

Hey guys,

During last couple weeks I've noticed that my Karoq is acting stupidly in low speeds (i.e driving in a traffic), it's 1.5DSG. The car is going in increased revs either higher gears,  sometimes it seems that the car's lurching or something, anyone with something similar, or have more info? Is it one of the kangarooing symptoms in DSG?

4 minutes ago, Salp said:

Certainly worse in cold conditions. 

I should also point out, the car had the issue with the very annoying "over revving" when purchased, as mentioned by others on Octavia pages.  Had a software update about October 18,   thinking yippee,  this is it. . . .  THE fix.   It has stopped the annoying revs, and the jerkiness appears to be better than before. . .  But it is still there, and  bad on cold mornings less than 5 degrees.

Do you recall having the "over-revving" together with the "kangarooing"? 

Because i had the 1st on my 1.5 tsi manual Karoq but i experienced the 2nd only after a software update i also had.

Yes definately both together, because it was mentioned to the dealer about 12 months ago.  The UK was just going into winter, which higlighted it further, but I think looking back, the dealer assumed the revs and kangaroo were the same issue. . . . .  Maybe they are.

This is our second Octavia, we rejected the first because something controlling the throttle was faulty i.e.  constantly revving without touching anything.  They had the car for nearly 6 weeks out of the 8 weeks we owned it and could not fix it. It was rejected and replaced like for like.  Putting it down to bad luck.

Funny how it all seems to evolve around the throttle or what controls it.  I think it is all linked, but thats my unqualified thoughts.  

My Karoq will sometimes just rev itself, other times as I release the clutch the revs increase and the car moves away smoothly, other times I meet it with acceleration and it can go off lovely or bounce and then sometimes when I release the clutch the revs don’t do anything so make of that what you will, I’m managing to eliminate the kangarooing 90% of the time without riding the clutch.

It’s fabulous in reverse though :tongueout:

33 minutes ago, Salp said:

Yes definately both together, because it was mentioned to the dealer about 12 months ago.  The UK was just going into winter, which higlighted it further, but I think looking back, the dealer assumed the revs and kangaroo were the same issue. . . . .  Maybe they are.

This is our second Octavia, we rejected the first because something controlling the throttle was faulty i.e.  constantly revving without touching anything.  They had the car for nearly 6 weeks out of the 8 weeks we owned it and could not fix it. It was rejected and replaced like for like.  Putting it down to bad luck.

Funny how it all seems to evolve around the throttle or what controls it.  I think it is all linked, but thats my unqualified thoughts.  

Bet that 1st rejected Octavia is now a VERY LOW MILEAGE one owner APPROVED USED SKODA.:giggle:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 03/01/2019 at 15:47, Xtra2 said:

IMG_-7cie3k.jpg

I have just seen this print out in the flesh at my dealership. When pushed on a timeframe they explained no definitive but roughly 6 weeks (yes strange). I asked for a copy but was refused.

Didn't take much convincing either, no road test, just sat in the passenger seat while I explained, then coughed up about the pending software update.

So Skoda ARE aware so I suggest people with the issue make a visit to their dealership, and if any knowledge of the issue is denied, produce the above form and ask them politely to check again.

• Like 1

I reported the issue to Skoda customer services via their Facebook page and they rang me back, they promised me an update a week later and today, spot on time they rang me again, they confirmed that they are aware of the issue and are still awaiting a response from the factory, they say they will phone me with a further update again in a week so personally I can only say that so far Skoda Customer Services and my dealer Carr Skoda at Threemilestone have not let me down, the issue is in Europe not in the UK.

With the temperature below zero my issue is certainly worse and not just in first gear. 

Waiting an update from the factory? This issue has been talked about on here for months.

More like they're sitting on the issue for as long as possible, until they hold all of the cards. Then they'll work out the most damage limiting / lowest cost solution to feed to their customers.

After diesel gate I would have thought the last thing VAG need is to drag things out longer than necessary, I'm just amazed that Autoexpress or What Car have decided not to publish anything as I understand it has been brought to their attention. BBC Watchdog might do something if the BBC are interested in anything other than the EU one day.

They only need to react if the information is being widely distributed and they risk a barrage of negative publicity.

Other than a few motoring forums and social media channels it isn't 'out there'.

They'll no doubt have the PR team briefed, but won't announce anything publicly until they absolutely have to.

The best you're going to get is the issuing of a service technical bulletin, essentially informing the dealers what to do in the event of a customer complaint.

I got an email today as per below :crying:

SD1158651X -  E [email protected] Wed 09/01/2019 08:48 Inbox To; You replied on 09/01/2019 11:05. Dear Mr  Thank you for contacting ŠKODA UK. I am sorry to learn of the issues you have raised regarding your ŠKODA KAROQ. As requested I am now able to put the details regarding the judder on your vehicle below. I appreciate your expectations of reliability and build quality are high when you purchase a ŠKODA and any issue you experience can be disappointing. We are mindful there is a characteristic of the 1.5 engine where a juddering can be felt when starting your vehicle from cold. Please be aware, this is the normal operational function of this vehicle engine derivative and can potentially be experienced until the coolant has reached a temperature of approximately 70°C. ŠKODA UK always looks to improve the operating parameters of our vehicles during their lifespan and we understand there may be a software update available in 2019, which may enhance this characteristic of your vehicle. In terms of safety SKODA as manufacturer are legally responsible for ensuring the safety of their vehicles and work with all necessary regulators to ensure this. Providing the vehicle is driven appropriately the time the engine takes to warm up will not be a safety issue. I appreciate that this is not the outcome you had anticipated, please be assured as a valued customer, you will be contacted directly once any relevant update becomes available from our factory. Should you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me on any of the details below. Kind regards Cherie Cornish Senior Customer Resolution Manager ŠKODA UK | Selectapost 34 | Sheffield | S97 3FA

They disgreard all the facts, it happens cold or warm or hot regardless, worse when cold but still there, the Lookers mechanic agreed it's present all the time and so did the report from Dekra.

I have e-mailed and called with no response thus far :@

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, TheRealExile said:

I got an email today as per below :crying:

SD1158651X -  E executive.office@skoda.co.uk Wed 09/01/2019 08:48 Inbox To; You replied on 09/01/2019 11:05. Dear Mr  Thank you for contacting ŠKODA UK. I am sorry to learn of the issues you have raised regarding your ŠKODA KAROQ. As requested I am now able to put the details regarding the judder on your vehicle below. I appreciate your expectations of reliability and build quality are high when you purchase a ŠKODA and any issue you experience can be disappointing. We are mindful there is a characteristic of the 1.5 engine where a juddering can be felt when starting your vehicle from cold. Please be aware, this is the normal operational function of this vehicle engine derivative and can potentially be experienced until the coolant has reached a temperature of approximately 70°C. ŠKODA UK always looks to improve the operating parameters of our vehicles during their lifespan and we understand there may be a software update available in 2019, which may enhance this characteristic of your vehicle. In terms of safety SKODA as manufacturer are legally responsible for ensuring the safety of their vehicles and work with all necessary regulators to ensure this. Providing the vehicle is driven appropriately the time the engine takes to warm up will not be a safety issue. I appreciate that this is not the outcome you had anticipated, please be assured as a valued customer, you will be contacted directly once any relevant update becomes available from our factory. Should you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me on any of the details below. Kind regards Cherie Cornish Senior Customer Resolution Manager ŠKODA UK | Selectapost 34 | Sheffield | S97 3FA

They disgreard all the facts, it happens cold or warm or hot regardless, worse when cold but still there, the Lookers mechanic agreed it's present all the time and so did the report from Dekra.

I have e-mailed and called with no response thus far :@

Wife owns a manual SKIPPY 1.5TSi Karoq but I am not prepared to sit on the drive for GOD KNOWS how long to wait until the engine reaches the required 70c operating temperature until I drive off unless someone wants to time it on a day when the ambient temp is 0c and get back to us. Would expect it to take between 15-30 minutes !:angry:

30 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

Wife owns a manual SKIPPY 1.5TSi Karoq but I am not prepared to sit on the drive for GOD KNOWS how long to wait until the engine reaches the required 70c operating temperature until I drive off unless someone wants to time it on a day when the ambient temp is 0c and get back to us. Would expect it to take between 15-30 minutes !:angry:

As I think everyone and Skoda knows it’s got nothing to do with the engine temperature, it’s the way the revs flick up and down and over rev then bottom out out if you don’t get it spot on, Skoda’s line if indeed that’s what it is is nonsense, mine actually drives ok when cold cause the revs are higher, when it gets to temperature is when it can be a nightmare. 

17 minutes ago, Markyj said:

As I think everyone and Skoda knows it’s got nothing to do with the engine temperature, it’s the way the revs flick up and down and over rev then bottom out out if you don’t get it spot on, Skoda’s line if indeed that’s what it is is nonsense, mine actually drives ok when cold cause the revs are higher, when it gets to temperature is when it can be a nightmare. 

Fortunately when I borrow her Karoq I am cruising along the motorway as the temp reaches normal operating temp so no SKIPPYNESS in 6th gear at 70mph.:rofl:

11 minutes ago, Markyj said:

I have a dealer's courtesy car at the moment - Škoda Fabia manual 1litre Tsi whilst we are awaiting the other replacement car to arrive, and the courtesy car has some very worrying "characteristic" - it drives itself. I don't need to use the throttle pedal, half of the time it speeds along the road so much so I need to use brake! Come on Škoda! Car's Not Supposed To Do This! Imagine if this Fabia purchased a car school company! Jesus! Personally - that would as learner, scare the heebie geebies out of me!

• Haha 2

First post so bare with me

I have been reading this thread with interest as I have a 1.5 SEL Karoq first registered in Sept 2018

Main problem I have had is with the hesitation in first year -engine dying pulling out at junction. Also had the revs jumping of their own free will and a bit of kangaroos but not as bad as some describe on here.

Similarly to most people on here I thought it was my fault getting used to a new car. Gave it the 1200 miles running in period before I took it to the dealer. This was on 12/12/18. Dealers Service Manager drove it for about half a mile and of course nothing happened. He went to speak to one of the dealers technicians and produce the TPI saying there was a known problem with the kangarooing. Subsequently spoke to Skoda who noted my concerns and raised a complaint.

After a bit of to-ing and fro-ing I got a courtesy car yesterday and my car has been returned to the dealers until a solution can be found.

Further to shyVRS245's comment about waiting for the engine temperature to increase the Owners Manual says that you should drive off immediately after starting the engine, first page of Driving section - page 201on PDF version.

• Sad 1

After investigation by the dealership, the kangarooing on our Karoq 1.5Tsi manual was confirmed. Later that same day I met with the general manager and handed in a letter of rejection together with the keys to the vehicle, which we had owned for 28 days.

Within the letter we stated we required a replacement  vehicle or a full refund. We also said that we did not want a Karoq with a petrol engine preferring a return to diesel. We were told that Skoda UK were still not accepting the kangarooing as an actual fault. However I pointed out that we had not bought the vehicle from Skoda UK.

Our dealership were very fair and decent  and the situation was dealt with calmly and professionally. I received a telephone call later the same day asking us to  confirm that we would be happy to receive a replacement vehicle.

Two weeks later we were the owners of a new 68 plate Karoq 1.6Tdi Sel Dsg, same colour as before with 9 delivery miles on the clock; a straight swop. It now has 700 miles on the clock, no kangarooing, no flat spots. Diesel was our choice and at the moment we are very happy with the car.

My wife and I hope that all the people on this site get their 1st gear problem  sorted and we wish you well. But please remember you bought your vehicle from a dealer, not Skoda UK and you have to be prepared to go all the way. Our dealer was prepared to listen and dealt fairly with us.

We would also like to thank all those on this thread for the information we gathered.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

33 minutes ago, Johnmac50 said:

First post so bare with me

I have been reading this thread with interest as I have a 1.5 SEL Karoq first registered in Sept 2018

Main problem I have had is with the hesitation in first year -engine dying pulling out at junction. Also had the revs jumping of their own free will and a bit of kangaroos but not as bad as some describe on here.

Similarly to most people on here I thought it was my fault getting used to a new car. Gave it the 1200 miles running in period before I took it to the dealer. This was on 12/12/18. Dealers Service Manager drove it for about half a mile and of course nothing happened. He went to speak to one of the dealers technicians and produce the TPI saying there was a known problem with the kangarooing. Subsequently spoke to Skoda who noted my concerns and raised a complaint.

After a bit of to-ing and fro-ing I got a courtesy car yesterday and my car has been returned to the dealers until a solution can be found.

Further to shyVRS245's comment about waiting for the engine temperature to increase the Owners Manual says that you should drive off immediately after starting the engine, first page of Driving section - page 201on PDF version.

I am aware what the manual says but I was being sarcastic regarding Skoda UK's response as been to this problem. We have had our car since 26th January 2018 and are waiting very patiently for VW boffins in Wolfsburg to scratch their collective heads and arrive at a satisfactory solution for everyone affected. No offence taken BTW and welcome to the forum and the newest member of the Skoda UK Karoq SKIPPY CLUB.:x

Talk about salt to the wound, 

Whatcar.com have named the Octavia 1.5 TSI as best family car of 2018, apparently the 1.5 is the favorite engine and "pick of the range".

Obviously they were provided a car wihout any "character" and probably received a nice pay out for the promotion.

29 minutes ago, Skoffski said:

Looks like time for a new thread. 

Maybe something like.

'Who has rejected or disposed of a 1.5TSI Manual or DSG because of kangerooing issues,

& do you know if the Dealership have put the car right back up for sale?'

My car was/or stil is on sale at the dealership right the second day - I seen it on the forecourt when I came back the second day after handing the Karoq back with some paperwork.