Octavia 245 Owners Club

8 hours ago, shyVRS245 said:

Yeah no difference to the ride in different mode with steel springs but heavier steering in SPORT (which I don't like so I have my steering in NORMAL).

That make sense and could be the difference.

8 hours ago, shyVRS245 said:

I bet the pedestrians weren't happy with you for parking there!:devil:

The crossing were within the dealer compound and they were more than happy to take their camera out for a instagram moment :)

14 hours ago, shyVRS245 said:

Don't think they come fitted to the 1.4Tsi!:blink:

They didn't, but Audi fitted them as OE to my previous car - an Audi RS4.

I was SO GLAD they only lasted 9000 miles and over the years had Goodyear F1s, Michelin PS3 and PSS - my vote for best handling goes to the PSS and best road noise to the F1 with the PS3 (now replaced) as the best all round (not best as anything, but OK at everything).

On 13/07/2018 at 18:49, shyVRS245 said:

Yeah no difference to the ride in different mode with steel springs but heavier steering in SPORT (which I don't like so I have my steering in NORMAL).

Steel springs... What material are the 'DCC' springs then :biggrin:

10 hours ago, Swirly182 said:

Steel springs... What material are the 'DCC' springs then :biggrin:

Normal VRS has steel springs and standard dampers, but DCC option has steel springs with electronic variable magnetic dampers which can soften/harden the ride as required. Hope this clears up any confusion or were you being sarcastic?:wondering:

Do you know if the 245 with its LED lights has the feature that automatically sets them correctly when you drive abroad?  If not can I set it to do so or do I need those ugly beam benders? :)

1 hour ago, buaan said:

Do you know if the 245 with its LED lights has the feature that automatically sets them correctly when you drive abroad?  If not can I set it to do so or do I need those ugly beam benders? :)

I found it under Car > Settings > Light > Travel Mode :)  - I guess the car might automatically do this when the SATNAV see's I'm in France.

1 hour ago, buaan said:

Yes it uses the Sat Nav to automatically alter the lights.:biggrin:

Hello all!

I've made a return to the briskoda forum after some time, I've been browsing the forums as you do and finally decided to show my face again.

Previously owned:

Race blue fabia 2 vrs (1.4 petrol DSG 180ps) with the diamond cut edged black alloys and black roof.

Black rapid spaceback black edition (1.2 petrol manual 105ps), with those diamond cut black alloys

I now return with a black octavia vrs 245 with DSG.

I have had a bit of bad luck with this car unfortunately, firstly starting with my ex, while trying to remove her from my mortgage, she demanded a lump of money which took away my deposit on a new 245 and I settled for one used by a sales guy.

Its a pretty basic spec, doesn't have majority of the stuff I would have had new, doesn't have canton, doesn't have ACC, doesn't have kessy.

Bought with a dent in the passenger A pillar (they said they'd sort it, it hasn't been done yet) and alloy wheel damage, to all 4 wheels! Where damaged, the diamond edge has been smoothed out, so 2 or 3 of the 'O's in each alloy don't have that stepped up lip on the outer edge.

It looks naff, I may get all 4 alloys smoothed and powdered completely black. Or get a set of something different.

I got the car on 1st December, on 4th Jan while driving at around 21mph (dash cam footage) I hit a pothole over 120mm deep (without removing rubble from the bottom to measure depth) and was wide enough to fit my head in, it was also completely hidden in water.

It burst both passenger side tyres as well as buckling the alloys, tyres were replaced, both buckled alloys put on the rear. Lancs county council have that road down as regularly condition monitored or something and as the road was checked on 14th December and the pothole wasn't mentioned in the report, LCC won't pay up for damages!

The AA came to tow me to skoda, the guy fitted my spare wheel to the front, he then tried to fit his spare wheel to the back (I was sat in my brothers car at this point), when he was done he handed me my keys, told me to follow him.

I moved maybe a foot, heard a loud grinding noise, jumped out and told him, he removed his spare wheel to find my bright red rear calliper now has a decent set of scratches on it!

Jump forward to Feb, I meet a girl, we get together, she has a 6 year old daughter. One time with daughter in the car, parked up, I said "make sure you get out of you mums side", before I was even out of the car, the door behind me is slammed into a wall, the door is bent and paintwork chipped, I'd just come off a night shift and nearly cried!

One of the local children (5/6 yo) was jumping on the wall along my drive while waiting for his mother to open their car, this wall is 2/3 stones high so no real danger to him, however, he dislodged one of the bigger stones, it rolled into the side of my car and took a chuck out of the sill, few mm wide and probably 2 mm deep.

Right now, the last thing irritating me is that the left side of the car is squealing at me when I break or turn corners, I'm just hoping it's not something that's going to cost me and I have the start stop system error every startup, car is due to go in for these though.

(oh dear, sorry for the rant)

IMG_20180706_000931_446.jpg

1 hour ago, Black Howling said:

Hello all!

I've made a return to the briskoda forum after some time, I've been browsing the forums as you do and finally decided to show my face again.

Previously owned:

Race blue fabia 2 vrs (1.4 petrol DSG 180ps) with the diamond cut edged black alloys and black roof.

Black rapid spaceback black edition (1.2 petrol manual 105ps), with those diamond cut black alloys

I have had a bit of bad luck with this car unfortunately, firstly starting with my ex, while trying to remove her from my mortgage, she demanded a lump of money which took away my deposit on a new 245 and I settled for one used by a sales guy.

Its a pretty basic spec, doesn't have majority of the stuff I would have had new, doesn't have canton, doesn't have ACC, doesn't have kessy.

Bought with a dent in the passenger A pillar (they said they'd sort it, it hasn't been done yet) and alloy wheel damage, to all 4 wheels! Where damaged, the diamond edge has been smoothed out, so 2 or 3 of the 'O's in each alloy don't have that stepped up lip on the outer edge.

It looks naff, I may get all 4 alloys smoothed and powdered completely black. Or get a set of something different.

I got the car on 1st December, on 4th Jan while driving at around 21mph (dash cam footage) I hit a pothole over 120mm deep (without removing rubble from the bottom to measure depth) and was wide enough to fit my head in, it was also completely hidden in water.

It burst both passenger side tyres as well as buckling the alloys, tyres were replaced, both buckled alloys put on the rear. Lancs county council have that road down as regularly condition monitored or something and as the road was checked on 14th December and the pothole wasn't mentioned in the report, LCC won't pay up for damages!

The AA came to tow me to skoda, the guy fitted my spare wheel to the front, he then tried to fit his spare wheel to the back (I was sat in my brothers car at this point), when he was done he handed me my keys, told me to follow him.

I moved maybe a foot, heard a loud grinding noise, jumped out and told him, he removed his spare wheel to find my bright red rear calliper now has a decent set of scratches on it!

Jump forward to Feb, I meet a girl, we get together, she has a 6 year old daughter. One time with daughter in the car, parked up, I said "make sure you get out of you mums side", before I was even out of the car, the door behind me is slammed into a wall, the door is bent and paintwork chipped, I'd just come off a night shift and nearly cried!

One of the local children (5/6 yo) was jumping on the wall along my drive while waiting for his mother to open their car, this wall is 2/3 stones high so no real danger to him, however, he dislodged one of the bigger stones, it rolled into the side of my car and took a chuck out of the sill, few mm wide and probably 2 mm deep.

Right now, the last thing irritating me is that the left side of the car is squealing at me when I break or turn corners, I'm just hoping it's not something that's going to cost me and I have the start stop system error every startup, car is due to go in for these though.

other than that your enjoying the 245

I'm also two tyres down (1st after 12 miles of ownership)

if say there is possibly more damage to suspension or drive shaft for the re-occuring noise on the near side caused by the pot hole 

2 hours ago, Black Howling said:

Hello all!

Previously owned:

Sorry to hear it, buddy. Sounds like a real nightmare.

Some cars are just bad luck motors. My first new car a long time ago was the same - a number of attempted break-ins, actual break-in, dodgy electronics replaced under warranty, rear-end shunt, no matter how hard I tried the alloys would end up getting kerbed - even the inner side of the rim, finally a head-on wrote it off after 18 months.... I took it as a sign...

Edited by mumphie

1 hour ago, chris245vRS said:

other than that your enjoying the 245

I'm also two tyres down (1st after 12 miles of ownership)

if say there is possibly more damage to suspension or drive shaft for the re-occuring noise on the near side caused by the pot hole 

I'm still loving it, hoping to change a few things on it to make it my own over time, alloys definitely on the list

24 minutes ago, mumphie said:

Sorry to hear it, buddy. Sounds like a real nightmare.

Some cars are just bad luck motors. My first new car a long time ago was the same - a number of attempted break-ins, actual break-in, dodgy electronics replaced under warranty, rear-end shunt, no matter how hard I tried the alloys would end up getting kerbed - even the inner side of the rim, finally a head-on wrote it off after 18 months.... I took it as a sign...

Just waiting on my ex to trash it now!

Found a few pics of that hole, I can't believe it got to the size it was between 14th December and 4th jan

DSC_0439.JPG

_20180723_195659.JPG

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Black Howling said:

I'm still loving it, hoping to change a few things on it to make it my own over time, alloys definitely on the list

Just waiting on my ex to trash it now!

Found a few pics of that hole, I can't believe it got to the size it was between 14th December and 4th jan

DSC_0439.JPG

_20180723_195659.JPG

Wow seen better roads in Nairobi, Kenya! Councils never except responsibility for this type of thing although they are quick to take our Council Tax of us. You must have driven over a Black Cat to get that much bad luck. Feel for you!

I have a 245 and cringe when i hit a pot hole with the noise it makes, but the ones over here are noting compared to that one, that's just something else..

3 hours ago, Rjw_ipswich said:

Are there actually any benefits to using Skoda Connect over, for example, Android Auto which is what I tend to use for Google Maps etc.

Went to the bother of connecting but never use it. I think it only works for twelve months which will be up for me next month so won't renew if it gets offered to me. Big fat POINTLESS app.:blush:

On 27/07/2018 at 16:53, shyVRS245 said:

Went to the bother of connecting but never use it. I think it only works for twelve months which will be up for me next month so won't renew if it gets offered to me. Big fat POINTLESS app.:blush:

Thanks for the reply. I thought as much, was thinking about getting a Wi-Fi dongle hence the question but don't think I'll bother!

1 hour ago, tuner111 said:

upgraded my exhaust with a remus one :D

and make a slow lap on the nring ! 

How many Euro's for the Remus? Any other mods? How did the brakes stand up on the Ring and what was your Max KPH on track. Looked like you were trying to keep out of everyone's way!:o

19 hours ago, shyVRS245 said:

How many Euro's for the Remus? Any other mods? How did the brakes stand up on the Ring and what was your Max KPH on track. Looked like you were trying to keep out of everyone's way!:o

For the remus +- 2000 euro. 
Turbo inlet/outlet +-400
VWR600 +-500 
DV+ +-200

The Brakes are awesome ! good pedel feel, and no fading. it was a slow lap to get to know the car on the track so maybe +- 160 a 170 KPH :)   

• Like 1