I love my new Virtual Cockpit ..

I've seen it in new Golf 7.5 and was severely disappointed. Resolution is quite below you're used to, black background isn't really black, it glows too much in my opinion. 

I suppose it is the same screen they put in Škoda's. In my opinion nothing worth anyone's desire.

To be clear, on some more expensive cars it is very well implemented indeed, so I am not against the concept when it looks as it should. At least for now, I would prefer on my car to have oldschool one.

• Like 1

I have it in my GTD, it's not as good as the Audi version but it's still better than I originally gave it credit for, and worth having as a 'free' upgrade in the Golf. 

Even the amount of additional information and the ability to have maps under your nose makes it worthwhile IMHO. I'm sure the next generation versions will be a step up and conventional dials will eventually become a thing of the past.

On 04/08/2018 at 18:00, nidza said:

I've seen it in new Golf 7.5 and was severely disappointed. Resolution is quite below you're used to, black background isn't really black, it glows too much in my opinion. 

I suppose it is the same screen they put in Škoda's. In my opinion nothing worth anyone's desire.

To be clear, on some more expensive cars it is very well implemented indeed, so I am not against the concept when it looks as it should. At least for now, I would prefer on my car to have oldschool one.

I have this in my 2017 Golf GTD & I like it a lot,i found on the Audi clocks that there was to much going on & the speedo was to small when the 3d maps were on etc.

On 04/08/2018 at 18:19, Czechers said:

I have it in my GTD, it's not as good as the Audi version but it's still better than I originally gave it credit for, and worth having as a 'free' upgrade in the Golf. 

Even the amount of additional information and the ability to have maps under your nose makes it worthwhile IMHO. I'm sure the next generation versions will be a step up and conventional dials will eventually become a thing of the past.

I have a GTD as well & now ive got the clocks set up to what i want showing im happy,i like the maps in the middle of the clocks & having the speedo & rev counter shrunk down a bit,i had a 15 plate golf R before & i think the new virtual cockpit really makes the golf a nice place to be in now along with the bigger infotainment screen. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Yes, MY18 Amundsen or Columbus with fibre optic cable on specific firmwares and a new CAN Gateway for the cluster. The radio swap isn’t much more expensive/complex than a MIB2 retrofit and the cluster itself isn’t hard to install but to get the personalisation on the cluster you need an FL BCM and hundreds of lines of coding. It’s a cool toy but I’m not going to go through swapping the radio again unless I’m really stuck for a replacement car now I can’t spec a new 245 to my requirements. I’m not sure I really want a Superb.

Honestly I think Škoda could've done it better and it sucks! I used to love Škoda, but since I started doing car reviews, testing other cars I feel like Škoda could do much better!

It is not the worst, but certainly not the best.

Just look at Audi virtual cockpit or Mercedes. That GUI is great, this Škoda is unimaginative and boring. It's copy of VW GUI. And those lights for temperature and fuel tank are awful!

On other hand, since when is alcantara available on steering wheel? I was mentioning this to Škoda to add this option on RS. :)

Can you put another picture where we can see the whole steering wheel? Thanks!

EDIT: ok I see this is retrofit.

There is still hope Škoda will do this better for Octavia.

Edited by Croat

1 hour ago, Croat said:

Honestly I think Škoda could've done it better and it sucks! I used to love Škoda, but since I started doing car reviews, testing other cars I feel like Škoda could do much better!

It is not the worst, but certainly not the best.

Just look at Audi virtual cockpit or Mercedes. That GUI is great, this Škoda is unimaginative and boring. It's copy of VW GUI. And those lights for temperature and fuel tank are awful!

On other hand, since when is alcantara available on steering wheel? I was mentioning this to Škoda to add this option on RS. :)

Can you put another picture where we can see the whole steering wheel? Thanks!

EDIT: ok I see this is retrofit.

There is still hope Škoda will do this better for Octavia.

You get what you pay for. If you want top quality buy a Audi or Merc but you are paying a lot more

Edited by MeteorvRS
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, TheWanderer said:

I guess we'll just have to wait and see what it's like on the RS then won't we. I'm guessing that I'll be one of the first one's to have it on an Octavia.

In UK maybe. In Norway I'm pretty sure this has been an options for a long time.