noise insulation

1 hour ago, IulianE said:

Is additional sound insulation necessary?

I found mine to be really quiet and no way I am adding nothing

what tyres do you have? Are these 17 inch or smaller? Do you mostly drive on smooth roads - by this I don't mean roads with pots / no pots but what is the surface made of? If you have 18 inch or higher and the surface of the road is made of small stones and some binding material than you will experience high levels of road noise

I have 18 for summer and 16 for winter.

I think the sound insulation is different for Canton option and higher trim levels get better insulation.

If I decode my VIN number in skoda erwin in the option list there is "additional sound insulation"

15 minutes ago, IulianE said:

Tengo 18 para verano y 16 para invierno.

Creo que el aislamiento acústico es diferente para la opción Canton y los niveles de acabado más altos obtienen un mejor aislamiento.

Si decodifico mi número VIN en skoda erwin en la lista de opciones hay "aislamiento acústico adicional"

I have a Style 2.0 TDI 190cv 4x4 and it doesn't have any extra insulation, that's why I did it on mine.

Hi folks,

For those of you that have added sound deadening to your cars, did you find that this made any existing cabin rattles better or worse?

^^^

my subjective opinion -
adding sound deadening improves isolation from external and road noise,
but makes brighter noises from suspension, like whole car body started work as one big woofer

that about my previous MY16 220ps Style
in current MY23 280ps L&K sound deadening isn't done yet,

which got quieter suspension, but hugely louder engine - TSI sounds louder than TDI 😞

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CRB123 said:

Hi folks,

For those of you that have added sound deadening to your cars, did you find that this made any existing cabin rattles better or worse?

it will likely make them appear more since as part of the sound deadening you will strip / unclip things apart and then put them together. there is a chance that a part or two will not be clipped back together as well as originally. then you will have less overall noice so the squeeks would be more audible However, I haven't noticed it on my car. Probably the plastic parts settle into their place after a day or two.

The squeeks I was getting were from the mid console box cover and on hot days from the wheel drive dial plastic glass. I disassembled the mid console cover and put thin strips of the floor underlay in it and the squeeking is gone. The same can be done with the plastic glass but I left it as is.

Absolutely no regrets about having done the sound deafening...

• Like 2

On 20/03/2023 at 18:13, mikevonz said:

not necessary but I found that doing the noise insulation really improves the driving experience also the feeling of closing the doors. 

it really depends on the wheel size and spec of the car and what the roads in your country are made off. it seems that those of us in the UK, Ireland and Australia, where roads are made of small pebbles joined by bits of asphalt are complaining the most about the road noise.

When I drove the car on French motorways, where the surface is as smooth as the skin on my balls, there was next to road noise. Drive it in Ireland and on some stretches it was deafening  at 120km

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hello all, 

I read all the 22 pages but could not find any information about insulation of the firewall. 

Does anyone do the wall between the cabin and the TDI engine? 

I wonder if it's worth it as the space it's limited. 

Another question: How can a TDI(EA288) be quieter in an Audi A4 or VW Passat B8 ( outside and inside) than a TDI(EA288) on a Superb? Does this may be due to firewall noise insulation or there are other things that affect this insulation? 

Thx,

• Like 1

Hi, 

tried this weekend to do noise insulation on hood. But expected better results (engine tdi 2.0 110 kw). 

I have found that on premium sound insulation packs profesionals is doing insulation under the windshield (adding 2 photos). Have anyone tried? Maybe it reduce engine noise more? Is there anų more ways to reduce engine noise? 

Thank you! 🙂

IMG_20230513_124627.jpg

IMG_20230513_124623.jpg

30_33.jpg

31_54.jpg

Best way to reduce engine noise is to buy a petrol!

Not sure that covering the whole engine like that is a good idea either, apart from the fact it looks like a fire hazard you are smothering the engines ability to dissipate heat effectively.

• Like 1

I'd be very reluctant to put soundproofing material in a weather-exposed area like that (under the windscreen, in the scuttle area) as it could lead to rust in the longer term .  My 2016 2.0 diesel was definitely noisier than my 2021 2.0 diesel but I found that both ran more quietly on premium diesel.  It's not a major improvement but higher cetane fuel does reduce clatter and vibration.  You need to run two or three tankfuls to see the difference

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 2021 Superb MkIII.

Does anyone know if it would be possible to just squeeze some foam between the bottom of the seat belt (where it's anchored to the floor) and the trim, with the trim in place, to save taking the trim off entirely and risk breaking something? There's a reasonable gap with the trim in place but I don't know if there's any wires down there etc. that might get damaged in the process. Trying to avoid taking off the trim and damaging the ABS cap clips that hold it in place at the top (read that is a common problem) or scratching it etc.

Alternatively, can the lower horizontal trim that stretches from the front to the back be taken off without taking off the vertical seatbelt trim? Wondered if that would be an easier option as figured the noise would be coming upwards so probably best to try and fill as close to the sill as possible and save the risks mentioned above with removing the top trim.

Pictures attached.

20230605_144847.jpg

20230605_144855.jpg

There would be little point in shoving foam down there when it is not a tricky job to do properly. B Pillar trim is actually very easy to remove and there are definitely gains to be made from soundproofing that area thoroughly as sound does travel up the B pillar.

Edited by Steviedakota
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Bathos said:

I have a 2021 Superb MkIII.

Does anyone know if it would be possible to just squeeze some foam between the bottom of the seat belt (where it's anchored to the floor) and the trim, with the trim in place, to save taking the trim off entirely and risk breaking something? There's a reasonable gap with the trim in place but I don't know if there's any wires down there etc. that might get damaged in the process. Trying to avoid taking off the trim and damaging the ABS cap clips that hold it in place at the top (read that is a common problem) or scratching it etc.

Alternatively, can the lower horizontal trim that stretches from the front to the back be taken off without taking off the vertical seatbelt trim? Wondered if that would be an easier option as figured the noise would be coming upwards so probably best to try and fill as close to the sill as possible and save the risks mentioned above with removing the top trim.

Pictures attached.

20230605_144847.jpg

20230605_144855.jpg

I think bad idea, there is seat belt mechanizm, which could be damaged. It's is very easy to remove trim. 

IMG_20230520_123950.jpg

Thanks for your advice and reassuring words. I'll tackle it next (just in the process of insulating the wheel arches. 1 done, 3 to go). Any tips with removing the top plastic cover to get to the screw without stretching it or breaking the lugs on the back? I fashioned a piece of steel to prise it off but was too thick. Think a flat screwdriver might mark it.

10 minutes ago, Bathos said:

Thanks for your advice and reassuring words. I'll tackle it next (just in the process of insulating the wheel arches. 1 done, 3 to go). Any tips with removing the top plastic cover to get to the screw without stretching it or breaking the lugs on the back? I fashioned a piece of steel to prise it off but was too thick. Think a flat screwdriver might mark it.

If you talk about airbag plastic cover, I removed with very thin and strong knife 😃 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Bathos said:

Please don’t use metal, screwdrivers etc. Trim removal tools are cheap and won't damage anything.

The airbag plastic cover pops off easily. Just be careful when removing the screw that it doesn't drop inside the trim.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wetado-Removal-Upholstery-Fastener-Terminal/dp/B08PCP9PTC/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=Trim+Removal+Tool&qid=1686049349&sr=8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

• Like 3

On 17/06/2018 at 12:43, MartiniB said:

the armrest now is quiet

20180616_Elbow_support_01_25p.thumb.jpg.1e07610cc9e9e96443d1e797b64664ed.jpg

20180616_Elbow_support_02_25p.thumb.jpg.8d73120562d7450a6d6afe8dfb879400.jpg

I have the same issue with my 2016 model. Please, can you tell me just how you managed to remove the top cover, I can see that there are 4 clips that retain it, and I guess from looking at them, you have to release it from the back towards the front as the front clips look to me like they would just snap off if I try it from that direction? I have tried to undo the back 2 (bottom when the rest is upright) but they also do not want to come undone. Is there a secret or a knack to this please, I'm desperate to resolve this squeaking, my mk2 was silent, and I'm frustrated with the constant squeaking with the mk3.

41 minutes ago, MartiniB said:

@Graham Butcher

i can't remember how exactly 😞

99% that were these 

20180616_Armrest_02_ED.thumb.jpg.d838ec3c20fea85c9f265d9838be911c.jpg

Yes, those were the 2 clips that I deduced were the ones to go with as the others at the other end are way to big and thick to bend. However, I'm really struggling to get these to release their grip. I think that most of the problem is because they are at the bottom and the armrest only goes upto the vertical position making access and visibility difficult. 

On 06/06/2023 at 11:03, Aivaras said:

I think bad idea, there is seat belt mechanizm, which could be damaged. It's is very easy to remove trim. 

IMG_20230520_123950.jpg

I think it would not be a good idea to use anything that would retain water should it ever find its way there as it will start to rust away from the inside and hidden from view and by the time it is detected, probably the damage will have been done and beyond repair. That pillar and door sill is I'm sure a major structural part of the car. 

On 10/06/2023 at 08:09, MartiniB said:

@Graham Butcher

i can't remember how exactly 😞

99% that were these 

20180616_Armrest_02_ED.thumb.jpg.d838ec3c20fea85c9f265d9838be911c.jpg

OK then, today I had yet another go at separating the padded top from the centre section of the armrest and after much swearing succeeded, besides the 2 clips that you kindly highlighted, I can now confirm that there are 6 others, well hidden the little blighters are as well. I had to enlist the services of my son as well to help as you need to be a flipping octopus to operate all the flaming clips 🤔.

In addition to the ones you highlighted, I have highlighted these pesky ones in green as well in the photos and these locate in the holes also shown in green on the other photo, 3 each side of the rest.  Those clips highlighted in red depict the visible ones that you can clearly see. Under no conditions attempt to move the 2 real big beefy clips, the ones that are situated towards the cup holder end of the rest, its the other smaller clips at the tunnel end of the rest, I highlighted both of these clips in red to aid identification, the ones not to try are by the label. 

Now that I have been able to separate the padded bit the armrest is extremely quiet and the only occasional squeak seems to be from the door card if I rest my knee on it and and a squeak every now and then from the steering cowling which I'll attempt at a later date. More on this later when I've completed the rest bit.

Armrest clips.jpg

Arm rest clip retainers.jpg

arm rest top bottom clips.jpg

armrest top front clips.jpg

• Like 2