Sat Nav is an Idiot!

As per title, no idea what my sat nav is thinking of on various occasions! For sat read prat...

Had brand new VRS diesel just under a month now and really like it. Except the sat nav (std not upgraded).

On at least 5 occasions now, it has instructed me to leave various motorways or dual carriage ways, only to go straight over roundabout and rejoin same road just exited! Having had it do it at M5/M50 junction, wise to it now and have map set quite low to show more of the route.... I gave it benefit of doubt as it had warned of traffic obstructions and thought it may have "a cunning plan"...

Has done same on M42 and M40 and I wouldnt say any of the locations are new sections of road - it recognises the motorway, the slip road and the roundabouts, so why does it think it good idea rather than just carry straight on same road??!!

On plus side, going from postcodes it does seem pretty good at finding final destination:)

Anyone else have similar issues?

Have you got it set to show the shortest route as most satnavs will do this unless told not to. I use fastest or economical route this seems to solve the problem.

Its not on avoid motorway settings and i choose the red route as shown on the screen (middle option). How would i check what version maps is loaded (I know its card in sd slot in glovebox but surely on brand new car that has to be 2018 maps??)

Cheers

I've seen a few comments on here about strange behavior of Amundsen with 2018 maps.

2019 Maps have just been released for the Columbus but Amundsen update not due until November.

The Amundsen updates will be released shortly I'm sure.

The "next map release date" is automatically updated by the website so if the release of the map is delayed it is doesnt keep saying May, it will instead change automatically to November.

It was the same for the last release but the other way round. Amundsen was released on time & the Columbus was delayed nearly 2 months (although teh VW version was already available with the same map data).

If the sat nav thinks there is congestion on the motorway, due to receiving out-of-date information via the transmitted TMC, then it will think that going off the motorway and straight back on is faster. If this is the case then the problem is the (very often) out-of-date TMC data transmitted and not the sat nav - worth checking the TRAFFIC button to see what the TMC data is saying...

Also, like many (most?) sat navs, the Skoda sat nav uses speed limits, not actual speeds achieved, to determine which route is fastest - which is very often wrong, as it's not normally possible to average the speed limit on ANY road.

4 hours ago, pist0nbr0ke said:

This happened to me. Then I checked the settings and found the 'Avoid motorways' box was ticked :blush:

I've had a similar issues when I went to Brands Hatch, but mine was with the 'Avoid Tolls'. It was going barmy when I was motoring up the M6 TOLL and again when I was going over the QE2 bridge.

Never realised it was on until I checked it. Think some of the options are on at default.

I found, as well, the shortest route option to be more of a hindrance than a help. Tried in Wales to take me off the A5 and use some roads not fit for a tractor. Fastest route is the best I've found. Eco route is usually the same route. 

18 hours ago, gman1967 said:

On at least 5 occasions now, it has instructed me to leave various motorways or dual carriage ways, only to go straight over roundabout and rejoin same road just exited! Having had it do it at M5/M50 junction

I'm on Columbus and did that journey yesterday with no issues.  The TMC is poor and it often says Motorway is shut when it's open - typically this is early morning when they may have been doing road works.  

The traffic alerts on my old TomTom was far better and for me is the only disappointment.

19 minutes ago, ScoutCJB said:

I'm on Columbus and did that journey yesterday with no issues.  The TMC is poor and it often says Motorway is shut when it's open - typically this is early morning when they may have been doing road works.  

The traffic alerts on my old TomTom was far better and for me is the only disappointment.

Yes that's why I use Google Maps instead of the Columbus. A shame really that a free app should be so much better than a VW system costing a four figure sum.

I only have the Bolero and I don’t miss the built in maps. I use google maps with live traffic on my phone, far superior with automatic re-routing and voice input with a large database of destinations.

I’ve found that it’s better than apple maps which occasionally goes off on an unusual route.

You've still got to watch out for routes down very minor roads though.

The worst built in sat nav I’ve experienced was in the Mitsubishi Outlander, really let the car down as it was difficult and non intuitive to use. All the VAG group vehicles I’ve used have been much easier to operate

Yes - driving down to Poole on Friday evening and it was trying to take me on and off the A34. It got me the first time! So frustrating as you start questioning every instruction. 

22 hours ago, logiclee said:

Yes that's why I use Google Maps instead of the Columbus. A shame really that a free app should be so much better than a VW system costing a four figure sum.

Whilst it's a free App, it's on a six hundred quid plus phone, downloading (which may or may not be free) constantly.

For instance, NNG Software's logo Nav downloads 38kB for an 11.5km journey but, Google Maps downloads 5,232kB for the same journey. Yeah it's probably all the snooping Google HAS to do but my actual point is

Data ain't free & neither was your phone...

5 minutes ago, themanwithnoaim said:

Google Maps downloads 5,232kB for the same journey

The Google Maps app has "offline maps" in the settings :- https://support.google.com/maps/answer/6291838  and once an area is downloaded using free wifi then mobile data use is minimal -traffic info. The maps last for at least a month and prompt for "update". 

37 minutes ago, themanwithnoaim said:

Whilst it's a free App, it's on a six hundred quid plus phone, downloading (which may or may not be free) constantly.

For instance, NNG Software's logo Nav downloads 38kB for an 11.5km journey but, Google Maps downloads 5,232kB for the same journey. Yeah it's probably all the snooping Google HAS to do but my actual point is

Data ain't free & neither was your phone...

£50 android phone and offline maps and you are all sorted.